Is this a good charge controller????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so if I go with the 50 amp MPPT controller, I am thinking of getting a circuit breaker to put between the controller and the battery; how many amps should it be???

I want to use circuit breakers, where all do I use them and at what amperage????

Wild Bill,

I have 620 watts of solar (two 310 watt Canadian Solar panels) feeding a 50 amp MPPT controller. I feed it through the 50 amp circuit breaker that came with my MH to my batteries. It has never thrown the breaker.

I also have two inline circuit breakers, one on each positive and negative line coming from my solar panels to the controller. You should size these breakers according to the panel manufacturer's suggestion (they tell you the maximum fuse/breaker you should use based upon whether you mount them in series or parallel). For example my panels have a maximum fuse rating of 30 amps if wired in series. I wired mine in parallel, (for twice the amperage and more shade tolerance) so I installed 60 amp breakers to protect the panels. This gives me room to upgrade with a couple more panels at a later date without changing the breakers, while still protecting my panels from harm. If I did this, and went to a bigger controller I would need to change out the 50 amp breaker feeding the battery. Though many people decide to over panel (up to 50% more than their controller maximum.) If I did this I wouldn't need to replace the 50 amp breaker, but the maximum charge rate would be limited by my controller to 50 amps. The advantage would be higher amperage off peak (in low light conditions, which is most of the time).

Chip

sushidog said:
Wild Bill,

I have 620 watts of solar (two 310 watt Canadian Solar panels) feeding a 50 amp MPPT controller. I feed it through the 50 amp circuit breaker that came with my MH to my batteries. 

I installed 60 amp breakers to protect the panels.

Chip

Thank you Chip, I really appreciate it!!!

how many volts are your panels. Jim pointed this out to me, a lot of DC fuses and circuit breakers can't handle the higher voltage of some panels. Midnite solar makes some that handle the higher voltage. but make sure whatever you use that they are within the specs of your panel, volts, amps as well as being DC electric rated all play a role here. highdesertranger

on page 4 of this post I have a pic of the specs from the back of my panel....and I will have 2 of them

ok what are the specs of the circuit breaker/fuse that you are looking at? most DC stuff is rated to 48v so you should be fine if you are running in parallel but double check. highdesertranger

ok I messed up on that you said between the controller and the battery. I was thinking between the panel and controller. if you run those panels in parallel you could be hitting 50A under full sun. I would say a 60A breaker. make sure the wire can handle it and put the breaker as close to the battery as possible. highdesertranger

If I may suggest. I would stay away from cheap no name electrical gear. I would go with a Blue Sea or comparable. they are Marine(Coast Guard) approved and are probably much high quality. like this one,

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7084/285-Series_Circuit_Breaker_-_Panel_Mount_60A

for breakers, fuse panels, buss bars and the like I go with Blue Sea.

for wire and lugs/terminals I go with Ancor Marine wire/cable.

sure it's more money but you know what they say buy quality and cry once, buy cheap and cry many times. IMO electrical is not an area to cheap out on.

highdesertranger

well.....a little hitch in the build.....I was spreading Flex Seal on the top of the trailer and fell off of the ladder.....broke my arm in 3 places.....and yes thank you everyone for a kind thought......I don't want a bunch of get well soon replies so......thank you.....now I will focus on stuff I can do one handed.....I am thinking of painting the hitch

I was going to put breakers between the panels and the controllers.....and between the controller and battery.....thanks HDR

panel's sticker on the back of the panel says about 8 amps.....so 16 amps for 2 panels.....so 30 amp should be ok between panels and the contoller

So I guess the solar panel install is pretty expensive when you include the cost of a broken arm?

wildbill said:
panel's sticker on the back of the panel says about 8 amps.....so 16 amps for 2 panels.....so 30 amp should be ok between panels and the contoller

Yes

10 gauge down from the panels and a 30 amp fuse because 10 gauge is limited to 30 amp.

So we are putting the breakers to protect the wires from overheating and in turn protecting the system? 10 gauge wire 30 amp breaker, 8 gauge 40 amp?

not sure what 8 gauge is off the top of my head. I just know that common 10 gauge MC4 cables and most branch connectors are 30 amp.

jimindenver said:
Yes

10 gauge down from the panels and a 30 amp fuse because 10 gauge is limited to 30 amp.

not sure what gauge the wire is.....I ordered on Amazon......Y adapter and extension wire.....I get it though....I dont want thinner wire that the fuse

bullfrog said:
So I guess the solar panel install is pretty expensive when you include the cost of a broken arm?

I needed a "break" from the work and heat