Is this a good charge controller????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this has probably been hashed out too many times....sorry

Its what I have. It works but if i had it to do over i would at least step up to a victron. Do you need 40a? Are planning to expand? A 300w panel can be handled by a 20A fine. The renogy rover 20a was going for $75 on amazon. Bundle it with bluetooth and its a step up for sure.

I believe that the controller does not have customizable settings which may be a big thing especially in the winter. Then again one of the preprogrammed settings might be perfect for you.

Elbear1 said:
Its what I have. It works but if i had it to do over i would at least step up to a victron. Do you need 40a? Are planning to expand? A 300w panel can be handled by a 20A fine. The renogy rover 20a was going for $75 on amazon. Bundle it with bluetooth and its a step up for sure.

300 watts is a bit much for a 20 amp controller. It would not over panel it by much but it would keep it peaked out often. I would say at least 30 amp and stay with the 40 amp or more if you plan on expanding.

a 300 watt panel is usually 36 volts or higher. Most lowend controller can handle at least 45 volts, the highend controllers can handle up to 150 volts.

20 amp Renogy Rover MPPT specs say 236 watt solar input maximum.
This limit is not listed in the specifications on line, it is found in the manual that comes with the unit.

Well it is set, I am heading to Dallas, Texas tomorrow to get my 300 watt panel. **** For the price of these panels I might pick up (2) of them, and see if I can run the A/C off of them.....lol.....NEW QUESTION...……what controller would I need??? Please limit to a cheap recommendation.

That 40a you linked will handle them.

The renogy 20a saying 236w is not what you think. 20a is generally around 400w. It depends on the voltage of the panels. I put on in my moms camper with 2 160w newpowa panels. It does fine.

20 amp is certainly not good to 400 watts at 12 volts. 30 amp controller for 300-400 watts.

My Eco-worthy 20 amp MPPT is limited to 275 watts.

600 watts (2 panels) is a 50 amp controller. Check the Voc of the panel/s to make sure that they are within the controllers Voc limit. I say this because some panels like SunPower panels have a higher than normal Voc. Exceeding the controllers amp rating is called over paneling and SOME controllers are fine with it. Exceeding the Voc means certain death on most controllers. A few will just shut down the controller until the Voc is reduced. That means that as long as the Voc is too high you get no power.

well, I was just at the trailer, and measured.....if I put the (2) 300 watt panels sideways they would maybe fit.....so for now I am going with just the one panel and then ordering the 40 amp EPEVER MPPT controller.....and that is just the start.....I have a crappy battery, so my next move is to get a couple 6 volt golf cart batteries....a place here in town has them on sale for $99 bucks.

I like that !!!!…...hahahahaha.....300 is as big as it gets for now.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
There’s an old saying, Buy your second RV first.
That works for most things though.
The system I use for the van , due to calculated draw , is two 100w panels in series since they are 50’ away from the shaded van, a Rover 20a, and two 55a AGM’s .
It’s all I need for now.

You know, I drove for 10 hours today total, there and back, and now I want that second panel, I want to FIRE UP that A/C....on solar.....so it is looking like another road trip.....in a week or so

I'm thinking you hang a bed sheet and break out the DVD projector, a few bags of microwave popcorn, kick back and watch movies all night. Charge admission to those near you and pay for them panels, and the gas for the two trips. Yep. Always thinkin'

I don't think you can run an AC on 600 watts of solar. except for a very short periods of time, maybe. what are you planning for batteries. highdesertranger

600 watts is slim unless you keep them tracking the sun. Then you might get away with it or with little lose to the batteries. 750 watts or more to hold the voltage up while you run it at peak

highdesertranger said:
I don't think you can run an AC on 600 watts of solar.  except for a very short periods of time,  maybe.  what are you planning for batteries.  highdesertranger

to be honest this whole solar monster is growing and eating my lunch financially....lol.....I was going to try a 50 amp mppt and (2) 6 volt golf carts.....that's as far as I have gotten in the plans.....crap....then I have to start thinking of the inverter.....my roof would only accommodate the (2) panels....so 750 watts is probably out of the question. I tell ya, it sure is fun doing all of this and just being active and building this little project has helped me so very much....good times!!!

You could always add another controller and portable panels to get what you need in solar to run an A/C. Two golf cart batteries sound slim for this purpose too.

Latest posts