Is this a good charge controller????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EPEVER gets head nods. I can't and won't acknowledge their products having no first hand experience.

I notice that it does not have load terminals. I have noticed that with other brands when they get past
the ~30A range. Victron is that way, if memory serves. It shouldn't be a deal breaker however.

The Renogy Rover 20A I use has load terminals.
I used it as a learning tool for a while, but everything comes off the battery now.

Well....I want a 50 amp controller.....if you have better suggestions I am all ears and would appreciate advice.

if you are going with the EPsolar, get the newer version, not the older boxy version. You will get the features you need

That controller has a generator relay. I assume it can autostart? Badass.

I don't know what that means.....but assuming it is good....lol

That generally means that in the event that the voltage of the bank falls too low that the controller will start a generator to charge up the bank. Unfortunately this is a home based thing because few of the generators that we use have starters and those that do operate with a remote control, not a wired solution. Those home generators also operate using a unending supply of natural gas so they can run anytime and for as long as needed.

I have 3 - 390 Watt panels 48.48V @10.14A each in parallel with a 100A controller that handles 150V and 450 ah batteries. Is my controller enough? Could someone help me and also can I run a 5000 btu A/C on this?

The capacity of your controller is fine.

You have just shy of my full array and you should have no issues running a efficient 5000 BTU window A/C while the sun shines. You will have to test it to see how long before and after peak times will your array provide for it without draining the batteries. You are still shy of having enough to run it all night and the next day while recharging the batteries.

We seem to do a lot of damage control in regards to Will Prowse and his videos.

He provides youtube info-tainment. Nothing more.

Please, don't get your education or information about solar and batteries and controllers from a cute 20-something boy who wears too much eye makeup.

There. I said it. Mods feel free to delete.

:dodgy:

jimindenver said:
The capacity of your controller is fine.

You have just shy of my full array and you should have no issues running a efficient 5000 BTU window A/C while the sun shines. You will have to test it to see how long before and after peak times will your array provide for it without draining the batteries. You are still shy of having enough to run it all night and the next day while recharging the batteries.

I wanted to ask you Jim would it help if I bought 2 more batteries @225 ah, but I’m not really looking to run the A/C at night. During the day with sun would be nice.

you do realize that it is cheaper in the long run to just drive somewhere were you don't need AC. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you do realize that it is cheaper in the long run to just drive somewhere were you don't need AC.   highdesertranger

I want this trailer completely self sufficient.....solar, generator, and able to move to these mysterious places where people are running through the fields frolicking …..ya know....I have always wanted to frolick.

highdesertranger said:
you do realize that it is cheaper in the long run to just drive somewhere were you don't need AC.   highdesertranger

Do you realize that there are times that there just isn't someplace where it is cooler? I designed solar powered air conditioning back in 2013 after a heat wave had it at 95 degrees at 10,000 ft in 2012.

That and just how cheap do you think it is to drive a rig like mine that can get a whopping 6 miles to the gallon?

LOL

Harry-O said:
I wanted to ask you Jim would it help if I bought 2 more  batteries @225 ah, but I’m not really looking to run the A/C at night. During the day with sun would be nice.

You have more than enough panel to run a small A/C during the day and toss the batteries a bone as you do it.

jimindenver said:
if you are going with the EPsolar, get the newer version, not the older boxy version. You will get the features you need
do you have a link Jim? I don't know what you mean

but Jim I don't consider 95° to be a NEED for AC, I just sit in the shade and read. now if you are talking 120° then I move. highdesertranger