Is there vehicle inspection in Nevada?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim Beret

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking for a state to establish residence that has no inspection, I googled it and got a list of states, and Nevada wasn’t on the list! However I remember Bob saying there no inspection in Nv, but he has Calif plates! Can I get feedback on what is right, when I make my move it’s gotta be all or nothing, hate to be up sh@&t creek without a paddle! Thanks

When I lived in Nevada vehicle inspection was by county, not state. So look up the information for the county in Nevada that you wish to be a resident of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only need get smog check to renew registration, but best to check with DMV website as Blanch indicated.

The county in California that I am a resident of only requires a smog inspection at the time of the initial registration, no subsequent inspections are required.

Blanch said:
The county in California that I am a resident of only requires a smog inspection at the time of the initial registration, no subsequent inspections are required.
Very bizarre, given it's ... California. As Reducto said, in NV you need smog every time you renew registration.

QinReno said:
Very bizarre, given it's ... California. As Reducto said, in NV you need smog every time you renew registration.

It isn’t really, if you know why. Smog requirements are more severe in areas of air pollution. Del Norte county in California has no air pollution and less than 30,000 inhabitants. Reno and Las Vegas have air pollution problems, the rest of Nevada does not.

Ok, I don’t really know what a smog check is, what are they looking for? So in Nevada you just get the vin inspection as long as it’s outside of Vegas? Thanks

There is no emissions test on vehicles in rural counties of WA State. Only in congested counties where cities are located. We also have no state income tax. And a thriving economy west of the Cascades.

Grim Beret said:
Ok, I don’t really know what a smog check is, what are they looking for? So in Nevada you just get the vin inspection as long as it’s outside of Vegas? Thanks
California had horrible smog problems for many decades. When I lived in the Bay Area back in the 70s, you would drive up into the Santa Cruz mtns and look down into Silicon Valley and couldn't even tell that 5,000,000 people were living down there because the "brown cloud" was so bad. Nowadays, due to emissions controls on cars, you can actually see across the valley. Even so, whenever we go "over the hill" to Sacramento, you see the brown smog in the western foothills of the Sierra for 50-miles to the east of Sacto. 

Maybe every jurisdiction is different, I don't know. Maybe cars in your state don't even have emissions controls, I don't know, but I would imagine any cars built after 1995 or so will have something. And nowadays, they all have an OBD-II connector under the dash, and the emissions checkers just plug in a unit to check. The internal computer on the car monitors this stuff.

Great.  Now ya did it.  Heeeeere they come

quote: There is no emissions test on vehicles in rural counties of WA State. Only in congested counties where cities are located. We also have no state income tax. And a thriving economy west of the Cascades.

Grim Beret said:

It's an emissions check. They stick a probe up the exhaust and read the levels of pollutants. If you've never messed with your engine or removed the catalytic converter, and you've kept it in good shame, you'll have no problem. But like others said, emissions checks are only required in Clark County (Las Vegas) and Washoe County (Reno).

MrNoodly said:
It's an emissions check. They stick a probe up the exhaust and read the levels of pollutants. If you've never messed with your engine or removed the catalytic converter, and you've kept it in good shame, you'll have no problem. But like others said, emissions checks are only required in Clark County (Las Vegas) and Washoe County (Reno).
Yeah, they usually look under the hood to see whether it looks like the engine emissions controls have been tampered with. Since you do loose some power and mileage due to the controls, some people used to jigger with the engine.

Also, around here, they only stick the probe into the exhaust pipe if you have an older vehicle. In newer vehicles, they just connect to the OBD-II connector. BTW, the smog check usually only costs $20-30, and you have to get it before you go to the DMV to register the car, at least around here.

Also, NV is another state with no state income tax, so we do have a huge number of California expats moving in. 39.5-million in CA, 3-million in NV.

I know Bob talked about Nye county in Nevada and that's where Carolyn took her rig to get licensed and got her drivers license in Pahrump. :)

jeeptraveler said:
I know Bob talked about Nye county in Nevada and that's where Carolyn took her rig to get licensed and got her drivers license in Pahrump. :)
Pahrump is surrounded by BLM land, so you can boondock all over the place, and has only 36,000 population. Across the divide is Las Vegas with about 3-million. When I lived in Vegas, it took hours to get through the DMV office. License, emissions, out of state registration.

QinReno said:
Pahrump is surrounded by BLM land, so you can boondock all over the place, and has only 36,000 population. Across the divide is Las Vegas with about 3-million. When I lived in Vegas, it took hours to get through the DMV office. License, emissions, out of state registration.
Do you know anything about Mail Message &More in Pahrump ?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

jeeptraveler said:
Do you know anything about Mail Message &More in Pahrump ?
There have been multiple threads on mailing if you do some searching. I don't need it so I haven't been paying attention. Or ask over on the Communication: Cell, Internet, Mail Delivery
section.

Latest posts