My Avalanche

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
I just wanted to give my experience with my Chevrolet Avalanche as it has almost been a year.
I had a Mazda Minivan I bought new in 2004. I owned it outright and in my naivety thought I could use it to pull a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer. 
No.
I couldn't.
In a rapid series of events I bought a 2002 Chevy Avalanche at the last minute and managed to sell my minivan through this forum. Financially it was almost a straight swap. I bought it in late June 2020 and the 5th July I took off for the Tetons. It was quick.
I had never owned a pickup truck before in my life and knew absolutely nothing about either Chevies or the Avalanche. 
This turned out to be a positive negative situation. The Avalanche is a unique vehicle perfectly suited for a nomad lifestyle. It is not like any other pu truck. The back seats can be folded down then the wall between the inside and the truck bed can also be folded down creating a massive sealed interior. I have seen people lay a double mattress down and use it as a camper as is.  No cap just standard.

Overall, big picture, I was successful on my first trip. However it was a shakedown and all kinds of stuff surfaced. The rear drivers side door wouldn't centrally lock. The air blend door actuator was a dud so I only got air aimed at my face. There developed a horrible brake grinding. I leaked oil like a sieve. And on and on and on.
So I aimed back for Mississippi to go into dry dock for the spring, thinking that the truck stuff was minor and that the camper was going to get a lot of upgrades.
WRONG!!
Since the 1st March I have spent $2500 on parts, labor and tools. And I am still counting. 
The good news is that the truck is getting better and better and better. I am learning at an alarming rate and have done a ton of work myself. 
So much more to do and all I want to do is get into the woodworking for the camper. 
Almost there. 
I want to just give a little advice. I got lucky but this could have been so much worse. If you are going to buy a second hand vehicle inspect it very, very closely. Is it leaking oil? Do all the controls work properly, door locks, blower, heater etc? Is there any kind of lightness to the steering? Just exactly where does that spare wheel mount and how? Does the spare wheel mount work? 
It is impossible to list everything and I am still discovering stuff but tbh buying with a leap of faith like I did is not a good idea.
Overall I like the Chevrolet Avalanche it has advantages I have not mentioned like a square bed no wheel arches. 
BTW just as Bob has done I 100% endorse the idea of building your own camper from an enclosed cargo carrier. There really isn't a down side to it. Why more don't do it I'll never know.
Ok I'll shut up. Anybody else a fan of the Avalanche?

A YouTube video by watchjrgo shows how to repair replace many of the expensive electrical body accessories on an Avalanche I watched recently.