Is there any problem with using a Rooftop Cargo Carrier?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citytravelfotos

Reaction score
I notice that noone talks about cardwelling and using a rooftop carrier. &nbsp;Is there anything wrong with using one? &nbsp;Is it so out of place if one uses them on their car? &nbsp;I've seen cars with rooftop carriers, I don't think it would blow your stealth that much if stealth is a real issue for you. &nbsp;So tell me, is there anything wrong with using them? &nbsp;It would allow a lot more space inside your car, especially if you have a hatchback or SUV.<br><br>
yakima-skybox-pro-21-cargo-carrier.jpg
<br><br><br>

I saw a documentary somewhere about a guy traveling across the Western US. I forget the title, maybe something about 'modern nomads.'

He camped at times with a guy he'd met on the road who drove a jeep SUV with a long cargo carrier like that on top. His friend would actually sleep in the cargo carrier!

On my weekly drive back home from Tallahassee yesterday I noticed one of the carriers you show above on top of an SUV. This one attached with straps which streached so much that at 75 mph it was tilted up some 20-25 degrees at the front. I noticed as went by the back latch wasn't fastened. I assume the other latches were all that were holding the lid shut. if the other latch/s gives way he's going to have stuff sucked out pretty quick.

Saw another carrier on top of a car this time, a little before the SUV, on I-10, that was attached only in the middle. It was rocking back and forth.

I think if i used either of these I would beef up the attachment. Which just means be sure of your attachments and closure latches if you go this route.

Just saying.

Good quality ones done right won't be an issue. Check out Yakima and Thule but they are not cheap. I used one on my Volvo wagon for a few years and they work fine but have a few caveats. They cut fuel mileage and increase strain on an engine especially a 4 banger and on taller vehicles they are not that conveinent to get stuff in and out of.

I know folks who have lived in smaller vehicles and used car top carriers ... both the hard sided and soft sided ones.<br><br>Pro: More space for stuff<br><br>Cons: Lower fuel mileage; more strain on engine; loss of stealth<br><br>When on the road I live out of a Prius hatchback and don't think the additional storage space is worth the lower mpg or engine strain.&nbsp; In fact, I'm very careful to make sure I'm within the maximum payload of 780 lbs. for my car.&nbsp; Also, since I overnight in parking lots when getting from point A to point B, stealth is important to me.&nbsp; Only you can decide what's best for you.<br><br>The best to you and your travels.<br><br>Suanne ... packing the Prius for the RTR

Well, I'm looking at a possibility of not getting a van and sticking with my 2007 Honda CRV, which is Japanese made, is very reliable, and that I wouldn't have to take the risk of being burned buying a van that wasn't as reliable as I thought, would probably cost at least $3,000, &nbsp;plus of which would have a mpg average of 33% less than my CRV. &nbsp;

They're fine. Most folks assume it is a kayak (sigh) or that you ski. If the vehicle is one that looks like a box belongs on it, it won't look out of place. The CRV will be fine. <br><br>If you get a quality box (Thule or Yakima) with a rack you <strong>will not</strong> have any issue with stability. Here is mine, on my Subaru. For size comparison, there is a 6', 280 lb, red-headed Tennessean. (One of my best friends!) He wasn't quite as stable at interstate speeds but the box was fine.<br><br>
2011-10-15_11-32-54_177.jpg
<br><br>
2011-10-15_11-33-47_810.jpg
<br><br>I've driven thousands of miles with boxes and kayaks (as large as a 17' sea kayaks) on my roof with only the most minor reductions in gas mileage and far, far less perceived strain on a 4-cylinder that simply turning on the AC.<br><br>Rooftop Tennesseans, however, greatly reduce gas mileage and they tend to flap their arms about and sometimes scream.

That car looks small! I am 5'11 210 pounds, I fit in my Toyotoa Corolla stretched out. With out enteering the front area of my cabin. Anyways, I feel this lifestyle is livable. It will be better, when the bugs are worked out of the car and I have some money! But I have looked at bigger vehicles and I feel sticking with a car is the best option. I want to get a hard roof top carrier eventually. To store a basic tool set, a couple of jackets, suit, blankets. I figure that way I would not need a storage unit and keep it the main area free. But I don't have a rack on the roof or know of there security. I have yet to look into them, but just something I am thinking about latter down the road.

citytravelfotos said:
I notice that noone talks about cardwelling and using a rooftop carrier. &nbsp;Is there anything wrong with using one?&nbsp;
<br><br><br>That one looks nice&nbsp; and makes you look more like a tourist or traveler who'll spend vacation money and less like a cardweller. <br><br>Drawback is they'll hurt gas mileage. Removing just the stock luggage rack on the roof of an SUV have been claimed to increase MPG by 1. Hard to gauge this 1MPG as it can be anything, including wind....but there are guys on eco-car forums that really go crazy with their hypermiling, etc. in trying to increase MPG and they get really thorough about their record keeping so I just take their word for it. That big box on top is going to make a difference.<br><br>I have an '04 RAV4 4cyl 4WD and it gets like 19/27 mpg and very reliable, but it's going to be rough living in it. If you're getting a van, why only a $3000 one considering that your '07 CRV can be sold for more. Or do you still owe money on it?<br><br>Also people will remember you if you stay in some sleeping spots too long or rotate back regularly. <br><br>

I have a Sears Sport 20 I purchased used for 80 dollars and packed all my camping gear in it for the RTR. My gas&nbsp;mileage hasn't suffered much, about 28 mpg.<br><br><br>

This last trip, I made a quick stop and got this one at Wal Mart for $44.00. I needed to move some things to the top. I used it for those things (you take along just in case you MIGHT need them). Once I got it up there, I never did have to get in it until I unloaded at home.<br><br>They are not easy for someone who is no longer 20ish or 30ish to put up, or get into, but it can be done.<br>I definitely would have to make other arrangements if it had to be undone daily.<br><br>I still got 21+ mpg for my 9500 mile trip, but I am not sure what it would have been if it wasn't on top.<br><br>If only they were easier to get into, I think they would be great.<br><br>Janet<br><br>http://vantrippingtheusa.blogspot.com/

I have a Thule box similar to ones shown. &nbsp;It adds a ton of space, and I find it much easier to get into than digging everything out of the car. &nbsp;It drops the mileage of my SUV around 1-2mpg on the highway. &nbsp;I imagine it would drop a small car's mpg a lot more since my SUV is already overpowered so its not working the engine much harder, and not really good on gas anyway. <br><br>It would&nbsp;definitely&nbsp;be better than buying a new vehicle - if this solves your problems.&nbsp;

Aside from sticking out like a sore thumb, theft risk is an obvious problem. One advantage of my old rust bucket is it doesn't look like it would hold anything worth stealing. Which frankly, given how old my laptop is now, it doesn't.