Is anyone fulltiming in a cold climate?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaGuy15

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and want to build out a promaster for me and my wife.  Most of the videos I've seen are in warm climates.   I have a good job and like what I do so I'm not gona move to get out of the cold.  I've done a lot of research and am planning on buying a new promaster 159" wheelbase spray foaming the back and putting a webasto heater.  If the heater can't keep up I can park at my work on the few -30 degree nights and plug in an electric space heater.  Just wondering if anyone has some helpful tips for vanlife in a cold climate.  

I am also debating putting radiant electric floor heat pads under the floor so when I'm at work I can plug the van in and not burn gas in the webasto.

Kool bro;

I fultime boondock and spend 8 months of it about in Michigan. I leave the first part of December tho I've spent times in November when it was down to single digits at night coldest night I went thru in mt trailer was -6F. Also I'm not far from Lake Michigan and can get Major hellacious Lake Effect Snow storms; even in October & Gales of November..........

Might be able to help address a few issues mostly keep in mind to make sure nothing freezes but my primary advice would be to figure out a way to get out of Minnesota from at least January thru March.......

Jez sayin...............INTjohn

Welcome MazdaGuy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thanks. To be honest I'm not really worried about the cold. But tracking the snow in and having all the big clothing might be difficult or a learning curve.

I'm an urban vandweller in northern Alberta, Canada, We get weeks on end of subzero temps(F)
I have a well insulated cube van with an RV propane heater Suburban 16,000 btu.
It costs me about $40/mo in propane for heating, but I often keep the inside around 72-74 F.

As for snow and stuff, I have a few older carpets that I simply lay around my entrances on the inside,
and stomp my boots and remove them, then I wear slippers. I vacuum the dried stuff once a week or so.