Is AAA worth it for towing protection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plant

Reaction score
I've been a AAA member for a few years and have my yearly renewal coming up.  The only reason I'm a member is in case I break down and need a tow.  But I'm wondering if there is enough value in it for me to renew yet one more time.  I'd be interested in hearing CRVL members thoughts on the value of it.

For some context, I do all my own repairs, anything and everything. If I'm anywhere near home, I'd have it towed home and fix it myself.  If I'm too far to make towing it home economical, then I guess I'm stuck paying someone or doing what I can with the tools and means I have while on the road.

Given that I'm going to be doing a fair amount of traveling in 2019, likely too far from home to get towed home, maybe AAA is useful, maybe not.

Thoughts on AAA?

Having a tow policy is a good thing but, they usually require the vehicle to be on pavement or at least a state road, they usually will only tow it to the nearest repair facility or 100 miles which ever is less and a lot of places you will not have cell service if boondocking. Where I'm at it is 225 miles to a major city with competitive priced repair facilities that can get parts in a timely manor. There are ways I have heard of in which people have the maxium tow distance have the car dropped off on the side of the road, then a little later use their second tow call of I think 3 per year to go another 100 miles and so on until their yearly number of tows are used up. This is just what some have told me they do whether it can be done or not you need to check with AAA. I have used Good Sams and had to push my vehicle out to the paved road as they wouldn't tow from my residence as it is an emergency service so that is something to check also. I end up getting my vehicles where they need to go but a lot of it depends on which person answers the phone and who they send to tow you. My car insurance will reimburse the first $100 of any tow I pay for but I have never used it, something else you should consider. The average tow bill out here is between $800 to $1,000 so anything that can prevent having to pay that is well worth considering if you drive vehicles as many miles as I do. Using it just once would pay for several years worth of tow insurance. I at least carry water, some snaks, wipes, something to start a fire and warm clothing in the vehicle at all times out here. I'll be driving a car with an idler pulley that is starting to have a squeeky bearing I'll have to lube to try to get to a repair place as I cann't get to it to fix it and I don't want to use the tow service if I don't have to as I know it will be a hassle.

I have had the AAA service for years. I recommend it to those that don't have mechanical abilities and seniors.. 43 Years ago bought a Rambler Metropolitan at a garage sale pushed it onto the roadway cleaned the windows and called AAA to tow it to my garage. Bang done..

Have had AAA for 18 years, and it is worth every penny.

There are four roadside assistance calls included, plus the membership gets lots of discounts at campgrounds, museums, vehicle repair, etc.

I upgraded to AAA Premier this last year, which includes one tow per year of up to 200 miles.

I have tow insurance as an add-on to my auto insurance, State Farm. It is much cheaper and I’ve had no issues on one tow, a jump, and a lockout, over several years.

The issue of what types of roads are covered is an important detail.

These aren’t highly paid contracts. Tipping a driver for good service is a good idea.

Yep. I imagine that just about every insurance company offers road side assistance as an addon. Gieco does, so does Progressive. No need to use AAA if you do not want too (they are expensive compared to others)

Helpful replies. I guess this is a case where I have not done my research properly and made some assumptions in the past. I was not aware that AAA would not tow if I was not on the road. I've spent a good deal of time on secondary dirt roads while Jeeping and thought AAA might help in the case of a break down out there.

Upon more thought and reading your replies, I do think I need roadside protection. But I'll read the details of the AAA policy and look at what my insurance provider offers to see what is the most beneficial and provide the most value.

WanderingRose said:
Have had AAA for 18 years, and it is worth every penny.

There are four roadside assistance calls included, plus the membership gets lots of discounts at campgrounds, museums, vehicle repair, etc.  

I upgraded to AAA Premier this last year, which includes one tow per year of up to 200 miles.

Good point on the discounts.  In the past all I was after was towing help.  Given my plans some of those discounts might be nice.

AAA can be somewhat different if you are a member/joined in different states so check the actual coverage for the state you joined in. In my state the Premier coverage is for 4 tows of up to 200 each. Less tows if you used a service call for battery or tire change, etc.
AAA says you can not piggyback one tow on to another. Have heard of people doing it but not certain of the story they told.

As far as discounts, AARP gets similar to AAA in many cases

Because we used all 4 tows and still had months to go before renewal, signed up for roadside for two vehicles. Vehicles are insured by two different companies but the cost wasn’t bad and we can drop when AAA becomes active again.
Have heard of people with both AAA and insurance coverage and they use the best in a certain situation. Why waste the 200 mile tow for 5 miles.

I know this is dated, but scanning the thread, I see the mention of "only tow from paved highway" (or something like that...)
Ask for a supervisor.
It is that simple.
Unless you are in the woods, as in...on a 4X4 trail they cannot get their truck to without damaging it...they will tow you.
Off-grid stuck in the desert sand a mile from the nearest camp site is a little different than "Hi-Jolly" dirt parking.

In our experience, exaggerations and fools trying to use their 4X4's like a hero contribute to this big scare story.
Be civil. Ask for a supervisor. Explain you are parked in a normal camping area, designed for RV's and you will have no trouble.
(If you aren't...and have buried a van or RV into off-road-paths or trails...well, that is just Darwins law in action.)

We have Allstate 7 tows up to 100 miles to your choice, or bring fuel, lockout, jump start, change tire. I've beat the $69 charge every year with a tow. Doesn't even need to be your vehicle. My 1st tow was 100 miles would have been $550.

Gr8ful said:
We have Allstate 7 tows up to 100 miles to your choice, or bring fuel, lockout, jump start, change tire. I've beat the $69 charge every year with a tow. Doesn't even need to be your vehicle. My 1st tow was 100 miles would have been $550.

Do you have Allstate insurance or is the roadside policy separate and different from vehicle?

I've had AAA for about nine years.  Used the towing once and I am very glad I had it.  Had wheel bearings just blow out (those bearings had been replaced less than three months and 2,000 miles before) on a county road about 85 miles from home.  Got off the road into a parking lot.  It was a very remote area and a Saturday; took three hours for them to find someone available and they ended up hiring a non-AAA tow service to take me to the nearest AAA shop, which was just a few miles from my home base.  During that three hours, they called me every half hour to update me on the status.  They showed great concern for my safety and offered to arrange a rental car.  The driver said it was gonna cost AAA more than $800.

I also have towing on my GEICO car insurance policy.  Used it a couple of times over the years.  Rates went up and when I asked why, I was told because I'd had two "claims".  Huh???  Yeah, those two tows counted as "claims".  

I have the AAA premier service.  As for the discounts, have used them but they're about the same as all the others (AARP, Good Sam, etc.).  Choose one.

Depends where you are. I had great luck with them in heavily-populated Southern California, but when I called in Southern Oregon, I was told that there was only one person locally contracted with AAA and their truck was down, so I was out of luck. So essentially I was paying for nothing.

One more thing...
Mrs G and I have been out on Long Island and through New Jersey many times.
Most of these areas are "captive."
Meaning, ONE or two companies can tow you off the highway. No competition. The rates are insane.
If you have the reimbursement road service situation, check for cost caps. Some have been bitten by this.

Make certain about these scenarios...they do come up.

I’ve had AAA since I was 16 years old. My mother worked there so it became a rite of passage in my family that when you got your license you got AAA for Xmas every year. I’m 51 now and still have it. Although I’m the one giving them for Xmas gifts now. It will be interesting how it changes when adding a travel trailer. I know nothing about that part. Anybody give an overview?

Catherine
DreamingOfRving

Firtree said:
Do you have Allstate insurance or is the roadside policy separate and different from vehicle?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your question. No I don't have them for insurance.

I do have Allstate insurance driver/vehicle insurance and I have Allstate towing insurance as well. The policies are not bundled together. Two different policies, two different bills.

Latest posts