Inverter preference

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freenez2

Reaction score
If this question has already been answered, please point my to the thread. If not... My Samlex 600 watt pure sine inverter failed the other day and am using a small back-up for my electrical needs. Based on personal experience, can anyone recommend a quality brand pure sine inverter in the 400 to 600 watt range? I've done a significant amount of research and have a couple of choices, but would like your opinions too. Thanks

I looked long 'n hard at the Xantrex 600W inverter but, here in Canada, it's just way too expensive. Turns out, doing some studying, that the Canadian Tire 1000W pure sine inverter is a re-branded Xantrex ProWatt 1000.. but considerably cheaper, so that's what I got. ..Willy.

In the last year we've used our inverter a few times. Since getting a 12V charger for the laptops it hasn't been touched. We don't use the genny either...don't think it would even start right now from lack of use. Damn Onan uses too much gas anyway.

Even being plugged in, as we are now, out electric usage is minimal out of habit. We'll have one light (LED) on in the evening and watching TV (only when plugged in) the light is off.
Boondocking, no microwave...on electric, rarely. Reading we usually use our little solar lights. Charge things while driving or while on solar.
Batteries are never stressed, and often are still around 12.5 the next morning, or more if just reading with solar lights.

Surprising how little power you actually need, even in an RV.