Inverter placement

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I'm redoing my system and I'd like to get my inverter closer to the batteries.  I have the Renogy 1,000 watt invrter, and I'd like to put it in the storage area under the bed, next to the batteries.  I understand this can be done with lithum batteries.  There is plenty of space, but very little - if any - ventilation.  IS this a bad idea?  The only other option is placing it in the pass-through storage area outside the trailer, which would have to be closed in inclement weather anyway.

Thanks.

The inverter does need air flow. I have mine so the fans can pull air through the closet. I use a separate muffin fan to ventilate the back of my fridge. You could do that with the compartment.

As long as there is good airflow, it can be mounted in an enclosed cabinet. 

This means that either a fan or sufficient openings are provided, assuming the inverter will be running with a significant load for some period of time, enough that it will tend to warm up.

The larger ones always have some kind of temperature controlled fan, but they do need access to some cooler air, not the hot air that is trapped inside a cabinet on a hot day.