Inverter or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJRW

Reaction score
Every van conversion video I've seen has a power inverter rigged up. My question is why? When plugged into shore power what happens with the inverter? Does the AC go directly through to your AC appliances? If so, why not just wire those directly from a shore power junction box in the van and wire DC appliances directly from the battery?

It is pretty rare that van dwellers are going to spend their time hooked up in an RV park when they can camp for free in the wild.

Many are trying to equip themselves so they have the least reliance on services and are more capable of staying out longer stretches away from electric hook ups.

If you always have city electric, no need for an inverter.

Happy travels!

"If you always have city electric, no need for an inverter."

also you don't need an inverter if you don't have anything running off of 120v. try to run everything off of 12v.

what do you have that requires 120v? is the first question.

highdesertranger

I have a 350 watt inverter that I can't remember the last time I turned it on. All those little wall warts that you plug in can be changed out to car adapters, computer, phones, etc. Propane for cooking and heating.

Yeah. Commercial RVs will have shore hookups cause they tend to have microwaves, TVs, heaters, ovens, etc. All the comforts of home. Van dwellers more commonly have solar and do not run all that RV stuff unless they install a lot of solar.

In my case, minimalist van with 100W of solar, I took the path of least resistance. 300W AC inverter used to power the laptop and run a regular table lamp. Why buy 12V devices?

highdesertranger said:
"If you always have city electric, no need for an inverter."

also you don't need an inverter if you don't have anything running off of 120v.  try to run everything off of 12v.

what do you have that requires 120v?  is the first question.

highdesertranger
I'm actually not a "van dweller". I camp about 50% boondocking / 50% campgrounds. Cook and heat with propane. Would like to add tv. Small toaster oven would be nice, but can live without.

Interesting generator (Jackery). I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Those power units are popular with car dwellers and campers, as you can carry them to the picnic table, charge off the cigarette lighter socket or get a matching solar panel. There are some more powerful in the $1000+ range, with larger inverters, that I've been looking at for added power in my van. Also, the smaller ones like 240W are good if you decide to make your toast over the fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T392CQ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D29QNMJ

I hope you don’t think I was making a disparaging comment by suggesting you might be a van dweller. This is a term of affection rather than a slight.

Your reference in your question van build in your first sentence so that is all I had to go by.

If you are in an RV they come equipped with a charger/converter for when you have shore power. Running a toaster oven will take a 2000watt inverter probably and solar to power it.

I have a system that would handle it. I have a 3000w inverter and lithium battery set up.

For more specific advice you could give more details about your current setup.

Happy camping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keep in mind those battery packs are not generators.

the make 12v TV's.

toaster ovens are a huge draw.

highdesertranger

I had the same question. I bought an Aliner which is a hard side pop up camper. It came with a battery to run the lights, water pump, and a couple of other small items. It is made to hook up to shore power to run the AC, micro wave, and a few outlets. The frig can run off 12V, 120V, or propane. When I go camping with the wife, she will of course insist on shore power all the time to run the AC. I can live with a little less comfort and plan on boondocking too. The camper does not come with 12v outlets, so you can't readily hook up any 12v appliances, including charging my phones due to no USB ports. The 12v system was made to run only the things the camper came with. That will require me to install 12v outlets if I want to run 12v appliances. Problem will be figuring out what each thing needs and building a larger 12v power system and finding a way to charge everything. That will mean solar panels and the like. If I buy an inverter, will it be worth it? The only thing I see running on the inverter would be the tv/blue ray and a toaster for my morning breakfast. Not sure its worth the cost and installation. More than likely, I will run a generator in the morning for breakfast and a couple of hours in the evening to watch tv or movies.

Its tough trying to figure out how to make all of this work out. I can see spending thousands of dollars that I may not need to spend.

Tony\ said:
Its tough trying to figure out how to make all of this work out.  I can see spending thousands of dollars that I may not need to spend.
Maybe the first question to ask is, what do you "really" need? People who have been camping all of their lives, before all this modern fancy stuff came along, usually have simple answers to that question.

You make a very valid point and something that I have actually considered.  Why get away from the rat race and still take some of it with you.  :)

highdesertranger said:
they make 12v TV's and toasters for your propane stove.  highdesertranger
I will more than likely use the stove for my toast, because toasters do draw a lot of power.  I was looking around at inverters and ran across this one.  It appears to be one I can simply hook up to a battery or install a 12 plug....and hook it up directly.  This would allow me to hook it up when I wish to watch TV and unplug it when I don't need it.  Your thoughts?

DBSCD Power Inverter Sine Wave 1000 Watt 12 Volt DC to 110v/220 Volt AC Converter with Intelligent Temperature Control Fans, Automatic Protection Against Overload, Short Circuit,12V/220V-1000W

I can find no info on that inverter. I take it you are not in North America? highdesertranger

did you notice the output is 220v. that's why I asked.

I was leaning towards a Renogy but many, many bad reviews so I asked an expert, JiminDenver he recommended a Xantrex so that's what I got.

highdesertranger