Interstate batteries...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NctryBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a loyal customer for as long as I can remember... this fall I grabbed a pair from Costco... they have their own warranty program that is leaving me stranded. Just a heads up if you also buy interstates... check out how and where you warranty them if they fail. Mine the case failed on one so it drained them both to zero... tomorrow I buy o’Rielly brand batteries... at least I know if they fail I’m covered... being stranded is not a fun deal...

After Movember of 2020 I did not renew my membership with Costco as I knew I would have few chances to shop there. I have never been near a town that has a Costco since that time. You could say that I was actually a very long time loyal customer as I had been with them since they opened the first store in North Seattle in 1983. At that time I was living nearby to that store. It had a different name back then, Price Co and then merged with another owner and became price/Costco and in a few years dropped Price out of the name.
During those years they did become my primary supplier of new batteries. But fortunately I did not have a warranty claim on those or any other product.

At this time of year I always wish I could go in and buy one of their excellent tasting pumpkin pies!

Last edited:
You're not the only one having issues, We have 2 Interstate stores close in Mi but I needed a new batt for the forklift & got a Walmart Value line delivered for $59 now $69

I normally don’t share anything negative. But it’s pretty clear they are a much lesser quality battery then what someone like me who has been a loyal customer for as long as I can remember (which is getting shorter, haha) are used to.

There are a few companies that make all of the Transportation/Lead Acid Batteries. If you were to visit one of their production facilities you would see so many batteries there with other companies names on them. Basically sub contracted.

If you were to get the .25 cent tour (I was once privileged to such a tour) you may be shown these "farmed out" batteries interior components compared to that companies own "quality" components.

In terms of the interior led plates, (cells) they are larger and extend nearly to the bottom of the plastic housing.

images

Those made on subcontract will have cells that may extend 2/3 of the way, or less, to the bottom. These batteries may have familiar names offering 5+ year warranty with one or two year unconditional warranty. The company selling them is able to purchase them cheap enough that they can afford to do that. They spend lots of money advertising their "Brand" and promoting their warranty. But their 60 month batteries are more than likely a 36 month battery.....with a big warranty scheme. (that keeps you coming back in the belief that your prorated warranty is something of value) Fine if you don't mind the occasional inconvenience of a battery break down. Which will be required to redeem the old battery for a new one with cost adjustment of course.

The largest lead acid battery maker is likely:

East Penn Manufacturing Co. Lyon Station, Pa with 7800 employees.

I used to buy Gould Batteries from Zanesville, Ohio but they went out of business in 2014. Exide (of Milton, Ga) makes batteries for many companies too. Rural King is near me and they sell "RK" brand batteries made by Exide and I've had great luck with them.
RK is big in the Mid Atlantic states & Florida. So a lot of snow birds buy them.

Gould used to be in my home town but moved to Zanesville, Ohio in the mid 60's. I got the tour of the Zanesville plant and the guy showing me the place was happy to meet someone from back home. I counted at least a dozen nationally advertised brands they were producing on sub contract. This was when my tour guide showed me the difference in the cells that were used. Then he told me that if their battery said it was a 60 month unit, that it would generally exceed the warranty.

Just another example of marketing for a profit instead of developing and manufacturing better products. Corporations being allowed to build a reputation from superior products then cut corners to make more profit based on that reputation. Looks like a form of false advertising in a way to me, sort of “long term” bait and switch! Lol!!! Sad state of affairs actually as it becomes the norm.

I’ve been a loyal customer for as long as I can remember... this fall I grabbed a pair from Costco... they have their own warranty program that is leaving me stranded. Just a heads up if you also buy interstates... check out how and where you warranty them if they fail. Mine the case failed on one so it drained them both to zero... tomorrow I buy o’Rielly brand batteries... at least I know if they fail I’m covered... being stranded is not a fun deal...
Thank you so much for providing this information. It helps so much. 👍😃

For future reference:

Pahrump has an Interstate Battery Store.

Near Walmart, off NV-160 @370 Emery St, Pahrump, NV 89048 (775)209-0297

A branch of Interstate Batteries of Las Vegas

https://interstatebatterieslv.com/

Latest posts