Interesting longread on a UK vandwelling Traveller (Gypsies)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, John. That was a really good read!

Another thanks from me, John.

Makes me wonder, even more, how much our UK roots influence me and my brothers' propensity for life on the road.

Alas, when I was in Norway I was utterly horrified to see the way the Romani ("gypsies") are treated there.

:(

I haven't read the link yet. Will. Just wanted to comment that The Gypsies are spread worldwide and some of the "Tribes" have settled in sticks and bricks.

Most of these groups are Mercantilic, or Service Nomads. I wonder if some of them do Herding?

They are worth learning from, foe sure. but, I have the impression that most of them are slow to trust "outsiders".

Anyway. Time to read the read. Maybe I will come back with further comment.

Ever so slightly off-topic, for any Scott Turow fans out there...

His latest book, "Testimony", sends our Kindle County lawyer over to Bosnia/Herzegovina to investigate a massacre of Gypsies during the recent war there. Pretty good read with lots of inside info about Romany culture and life.

Johnny

Going a bit further off-topic - Martin Cruz Smith, famous for "Gorky Park" and its sequels, wrote two murder mysteries about gypsies, and it sticks in my head - though I can find no confirmation online - that he has a gypsy relative. At any rate, they are fun to read - "Gypsy in Amber" and "Canto for a Gypsy", and they sure sound like he has some kind of inner knowledge of a famously xenophobic group of people.

That was a great read, John. Those tapestries are to die for! I'm still trying to figure out how to integrate my Indian fabric bolts and pieces into the van :)

Society seems to have always been suspicious of people who move around without forming what is known as 'roots'. My mother recently told me I was psychologically unbalanced because I don't stay anywhere long (to date, the longest I've lived in one house is six years). "I don't know where you get that" was her statement, but I do. My grandfather on my father's side was a long time nomad and had the first hand built truck camper I had ever seen. I was fascinated by it. He'd come to visit and stay in it at our house. He was not well liked as he was too 'transient' as they said, among other things. He followed the shrimping boats and then would hang out in the Keys during the off season. He also did trucking for a while, and spent some time in a mental health facility. He was a gunner in the Korean war and I suspect PTSD before it was ever called that. He died very lonely, despite having several kids from a couple of wives - eight I think total. Social butterfly he was not.

I did better when my kids were young, or when I was married. But since my husband died it's been harder to just stay somewhere, even though I keep trying again and again - planting gardens and orchards, decorating and 'nesting' - but still there's a call to go. I figure I'd better do it now, before I'm too old to drive well and can't see, lol! Thankfully my kids are pretty cool with it, even if my friends and older family are pretty horrified and certain I am going to be killed in my sleep by some maniac :)

There are many travelers in the U.S. A large group in North Carolina. They come to Michigan & paint the barn across the street & coat the roof every few years. They have their own lingo & words which my wife knows. Certain words & phrases have meanings most people would miss. Neat bunch IMHO. Thanks for posting this.