Interesting change in perspective

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
I've mentioned before that we want to sell our Florida condo to regain our nest egg, and buy something mobile so we can get out and wander.  Now our condo is in the path of Irma and may or may not be viable when this is over.

It's very strange to contemplate the loss of your nest egg, everything you worked and saved for (yes we have hurricane insurance, but not flood insurance as it it four times the cost of our entire policy to add it).  But it's really forced us to look at what we truly want for the future, and in that light it's been a welcome issue and process.

Anyway, it's been an interesting few days!

There are no words. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
(((((((((hugs)))))))))

I feel for you. After they re-drew all the flood maps, I noticed that almost everywhere in Florida became a flood zone (think retention ponds and channels that led to them, etc) and because of that, insurance companies were reluctant to sell me a policy unless I paid mega bucks.  I knew living there that sooner or later, storms would come. Sold out last year and have not looked back.  
One other thing I found was it wasn't just the coasts that suffered (although they get most of the news coverage), having a creek or pond or stream on or near your property might also put you in one of the newly drawn flood zones. I know for a fact that it struck the real estate market in places like the Ozarks particularly hard as all lenders insist on the flood insurance, so, unless you bought your property outright, you had to have the coverage.

Yeah, it's been nuts there, they don't require flood insurance because it would kill the real estate market.  The insurance is so incredibly expensive we can pretty much fix our condo for what we would have paid for it over the last three years.  We're very much regretting not getting out after Matthew.

Queen, are you evacuating? Do you have somewhere to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are still in Illinois.  My honey is retiring in two weeks and we're supposed to be heading down to the condo... since our current apartment is rented after we leave, it could get interesting!

I sure hope your condo makes it thru unscathed. Perhaps it's time to be thinking harder about the van/trailer/rv

Cammalu said:
I sure hope your condo makes it thru unscathed.  Perhaps it's time to be thinking harder about the van/trailer/rv

That is definitely the plan!

jimindenver said:
good luck my friend.

Thank you, Jim, hope to see you out on the road, sooner rather than later.

I was financially pushed into this lifestyle, it ended up being a good thing, this last year on the road is the happiest I have been in a long time. Who knew losing everything could feel so good? A change in perspective might be a good thing.

Hi Mickie,

Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way. Hopefully if your condo does sustain damage, it's just wind damage and not flood related. Does the condo's master policy have flood coverage?
Impending events like these can certainly put things into perspective. They are saying these storms are going to start becoming the norm rather than the rarity. Makes me think a life on wheels makes all the more sense. Hoping for the best possible outcome for you and yours.

Sending good vibes your way.
Perspective indeed. I surely wish that something positive may come of a horrid situation for you. I can completely sympathize with the loss of everything as well. I will say, in my experience that I have gained from it after time.
Sending those vibes of fortitude and clarity for you and everyone down south.
The bLEEps

I have a friend in Tampa bay--he tells me the latest forecast has the hurricane going right over him.

That area hasn't had a serious hurricane hit since the 20's, so they are utterly unprepared for it.

lenny flank said:
I have a friend in Tampa bay--he tells me the latest forecast has the hurricane going right over him.

That area hasn't had a serious hurricane hit since the 20's, so they are utterly unprepared for it.

I was in FL (Pasco County) for Andrew, they said it was coming right for us... then it destroyed South FL and petered out.  Really keep hoping the forecasts are better now all these years later, but it doesn't seem that way.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Hi Mickie,  

Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way.   Hopefully if your condo does sustain damage, it's just wind damage and not flood related.  Does the condo's master policy have flood coverage?  
       Impending events like these can certainly put things into perspective. They are saying these storms are going to start becoming the norm rather than the rarity.  Makes me think a life on wheels makes all the more sense.  Hoping for the best possible outcome for you and yours.

Can't get a straight answer from the board about that, I'm wondering if we even have complex insurance since we had huge claims from Matthew less than a year ago.

Queen said:
I was in FL (Pasco County) for Andrew, they said it was coming right for us... then it destroyed South FL and petered out.  Really keep hoping the forecasts are better now all these years later, but it doesn't seem that way.

Yeh, I was in St Pete during Charlie. It was supposed to hit us and veered off at the last minute.

Latest posts