Interested in the full time RV lifestyle.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac7ub

Reaction score
Greetings,

My name is David, and I am a systems administrator for a large healthcare company.  I am looking at retiring in the next year or two and interested in the possibility of full time RVing.  Currently, I am trying to find travel trailers with a floorplan which will accomodate my wife's electric wheelchair.

As for some info about us, my wife is a retired satellite engineer, and I do computer.  Our hobbies are ham radio, astronomy, painting, electronics, and radio control models.

We bought a really small house in Scottsdale and a really small house in Williams Arizona so we could pay them off quickly, live in Williams Arizona during the summer and Scottsdale in the winter.  It would be nice to divest myself of those places and do the full time rv thing for a variety of reasons.  Once being maintenance of two homes.  Another is being able to travel to places we have not been travel to and to do things we have not been able to do.

I look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone.

I am planning on going to Quartzfest this year to hopefully meeting some full time rv'ers and learn more about the full time rv'er lifestyle.

Welcome David! Not all TT are created equal; research quality. If you're on FB, check out "Full-Time RVers." Best of luck!

Welcome David to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome David! If you have 2 houses to sell, I'm thinking you can be pretty picky with your trailer! Maybe look into some custom build trailer manufacturers or just someone who can fabricate exactly what you're looking for!

Welcome to the forum!

I, Karen, use a wheelchair. Our little class C was built to be accessible but it's not ideal because getting from the front seat to the living area requires some help. A class A would probably work better. The main concern that I have about trailers is that you must go from the tow vehicle to the trailer which could be a wet and messy propostion in bad weather.  Other than that a trailer should be fine. From a quick Google search it looks like a bunch of manufacturers are making accessible models so you'll have some options. 

I've been posting accessible information on my blog ( link in the signature line) for every campground and attraction that we visit so take a look and let me know what you think. I'd love feedback on how to improve it.

Please feel free to ask questions. We're in Vancouver Island, Canada and do not have access to the internet everyday so I might not get back to you for a while.

Welcome! While having that asset base is a really big plus, you may want to join IRV2 or the other big RV forums and read up on full timing there. You may find that your travel trailer or 5th wheel selection to have already been pretty thoroughly discussed, as well as tow vehicles.
There are many retired full timers who are doing just what you refer to. Those groups will also be able to help you with the buy-in membership campgrounds (Thousand Trails etc), as well as the various breakdown AAA type insurance plans such as Good Sam's and others.

You'll find our forum more specific to smaller units, less costly, though we have a great knowledge base on electrical and solar, which you may want to read up on. We don't generally get into the tow vehicle wars on gas vs diesel and single rear wheel vs dually like the others do, nor are we particularly hung up on GVWR or GCVWR likes they get into, simply because that's not what the majority of our members have to deal with.

Not to send you off somewhere else, just letting you know of the other sources.

We welcome your questions.