Insurance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo rockie

Reaction score
Hi there.  I've watching videos and reading for years and even put $500 deposit on a Dodge P30 step van with the intention of beginning a conversion.  While driving the 2 hours to go see it I decided to check with my insurance company to see how much they will charge me.  I found out they will not insure a vehicle for personal use and to be turned into a "camper" that was originally built for commercial use.  I've called probably 10 different places.  One said that I could start a non-profit or an LLC in order to be able to register it commercially, then call a different company and not tell them my conversion plans.  What?  How do you all overcome this and manage to get insurance?

The whole insurance thing and how a vehicle can be titled depends entirely on the jurisdiction that you're residing in.

For example when I lived in Ontario, while it was possible to have the van conversion I'd done titled as an RV, it would be impossible for me to get insurance on it. I left the title as 'commercial used for passenger use only' - a stupid designation but done because the van was 3/4 ton and automatically titled as commercial but since it was used for personal use the insurance company insured it as a personal vehicle. I had to find a company that would insure it at all because Ontario insurance companies don't want you to even change the rims on a car. It's considered a 'modification' and they balk at insuring anything. I ended up getting stated value to cover the price of the vehicle and just had to pray a lot that it was never totaled because none of the interior improvements were covered (battery system, fridge, freezer, C-Head, cabinets etc).

Now, British Columbia was a whole other story. I had to jump through hoops to get the van titled as a motorhome and then I was able to insure it for it's stated value including all except for personal possessions like laptop, camera and clothing etc. That still has to be covered under ones' household or tenant insurance policy. I had to write up a listing of all the components since I'd done the conversion myself and also take pictures to be kept for proof of the interior.

My van is just a "van" and is insured as such. It just so happens to have some camping equipment in the back, and I just so happen to do a lot of camping with it while on vacations.

lenny flank said:
My van is just a "van" and is insured as such. It just so happens to have some camping equipment in the back, and I just so happen to do a lot of camping with it while on vacations.

I finally found the information I needed in Bob Wells video on what state to make your residence.  He specifically talked about the difficulty registering step vans and other conversion vehicles in some states.  It looks like I may have to just put up with my Honda Element for one more year until I'm ready to leave NJ.

Almost There said:
The whole insurance thing and how a vehicle can be titled depends entirely on the jurisdiction that you're residing in.

For example when I lived in Ontario, while it was possible to have the van conversion I'd done titled as an RV, it would be impossible for me to get insurance on it. I left the title as 'commercial used for passenger use only' - a stupid designation but done because the van was 3/4 ton and automatically titled as commercial but since it was used for personal use the insurance company insured it as a personal vehicle. I had to find a company that would insure it at all because Ontario insurance companies don't want you to even change the rims on a car. It's considered a 'modification' and they balk at insuring anything. I ended up getting stated value to cover the price of the vehicle and just had to pray a lot that it was never totaled because none of the interior improvements were covered (battery system, fridge, freezer, C-Head, cabinets etc).

Now, British Columbia was a whole other story. I had to jump through hoops to get the van titled as a motorhome and then I was able to insure it for it's stated value including all except for personal possessions like laptop, camera and clothing etc. That still has to be covered under ones' household or tenant insurance policy. I had to write up a listing of all the components since I'd done the conversion myself and also take pictures to be kept for proof of the interior.

I'm really lucky the gentleman is willing to give me the deposit money back but I'm disappointed to learn that here in NJ it's impossible to do the conversion. My goal was to work and save $ for one more year and build out the step van while living in it. Now I realize I can't do that and it's all the more reason for me to get out of this state. After watching the cheap rv living video on where to make your state residence, I'm pretty sure I'll head west and declare myself a Nevada resident before taking up the nomad lifestyle. Can't wait for that!

I have family in the Providence, RI  & Boston area and they marvel at how there are so few laws to abide by here in southern Ohio, Eastern Ky, and south western West Virginia. 

And there are a lot of other states that way too.  You may find work more quickly where you live,  but it it's all sapped away from you by having to pay pay pay to be compliant with local laws,  are you any more than a hamster in a treadmill....running hard and getting nowhere?   If so, then who is gaining from your labor?

My Uncle was showing me his new heating boiler in the basement of his home.  I laughed when I saw a license plate on it about the size of a motorcycle license plate.  He told me that yes,  in fact that was a cost along with the annual inspection by a qualified Tech who would sign the forms so he could get the metal plate and the stamp for that year.  I thought that was rich enough but then he said...."yeah, gotta have that before they will put fuel in your fuel tank for that year.

I didn't have the heart to ask if the fuel tank had to be inspected too.  But that was just one of many things that other stated don't even consider doing to people.  And the area he lived in wasn't that populated.  At least 50 ft between houses.

I think those who have it made today are those who can work from home via the internet and become nomads where they can travel and live in less regulated states.  Then if you have some trade skills,  you may find good paying trades jobs during the nicer months of the year to  bankroll your living for the year.  Then supplement your income on the net in the off months.

Hey! I know it's and old thread buy I'm curious to know how you managed all this situation and what did you do to resolve it?

Latest posts