Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twoxtw

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just converted a Isuzu Box Truck into an RV / Motorhome , but am having lots of trouble finding a company that wants to insure it
Should I say to the companies its an RV or a box truck for personal use?
It is registered now as a motorhome 

I live in Arizona ?

Any thoughts would be great appreciated

Lyn

Attachments

• DSC_3568.jpg
    DSC_3568.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 18
If it's registered as a motorhome that's what I'd tell the insurance company. Of course they will look up the VIN and see it's a box truck anyway, but if you start with that, and have a decent agent that actually talks to the underwriters, you should be able to get coverage. It does vary state by state as to how difficult it is for sure. If you only need liability and not comp and collision, you might also check if your state allows what's called broad form insurance. Basically it covers the driver no matter what vehicle they are in. My son had it as he had way more vehicles at one time than he could drive and it was expensive to insure them all. I know Colorado allows it, but not Wyoming. You're still covered when you drive out of state, just not all states allow it to be sold there.

I answered your questions on Facebook. I take it you still haven't sourced insurance.

Unless it's titled as an RV, it isn't one. Try insuring it for what it is, a commercial vehicle for private use. Your using it to move across the USA. Say nothing about a conversion.

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that if you follow that advice, and you get into a bad accident, you've given the insurance company perfect grounds to deny coverage and leave you twisting in the wind as the other guy now goes after YOU and everything you own.

I'm pretty sure there's language in the insurance contract, near where you sign, which say you swear, under penalty of perjury, that everything you put down on that form is true.

So far, I've had fairly good luck going through my Farmers Agent who insures my home. They want the business, so I insured all my vehicles and home with them.  When it came to the tricky stuff (insuring a commercial vehicle for private use) he was motivated. I hope he's likewize motivated when I switch coverage to reregister as an RV...we'll see, but I'm thinking he'll figure it out. May not be the cheapest way to go, but it's gotten me through the hoops so far.

Yeah, without doing the thread research, I'm not sure how much help this is, but I thought I'd mention that this subject has been covered quite a bit in other threads.  Having difficulty is the norm, not the exception.

My most useful recommendation:  Commercial for private use --> Progressive Insurance Company.

Tom

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that if you follow that advice, and you get into a bad accident, you've given the insurance company perfect grounds to deny coverage and leave you twisting in the wind as the other guy now goes after YOU and everything you own.

I'm pretty sure there's language in the insurance contract, near where you sign, which say you swear, under penalty of perjury, that everything you put down on that form is true.

That's sage advice for sure. I had AAA try to deny a normal automobile vehicle claim because I had greatly exceeded my annual mileage estimate from when I placed the policy. I had to get an attorney involved, what a pain in the rear end. They're looking for any excuse to deny your claim...

Vagabound said:
My most useful recommendation:  Commercial for private use --> Progressive Insurance Company.

They will write a policy that way, but if you mention conversion, or even a folding cot inside, they will NOT cover it. 

At least, that's what I was told. 

I have made many calls and am trying to find insurance for a boxvan BEFORE I buy one....it's not easy.

Well technically it's a box truck it doesn't matter what you keep in it food boxes close people animals its just a moving truck and that's the way I would insured

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

I get what you're saying about the insurance and the coverage and then being able to deny it but I live in my car does that mean I have to pay different insurance because I live in my car or is it still just a car

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

First, get the title issue sorted out so it says RV, recreational vehicle, motorhome, etc... This may require the vehicle be complete to get a vehicle classification change in the title. Until then, you'll be stuck with commercial for private use insurance. Once you get the title taken care of, take your title and vehicle to an insurance AGENT. Do not call the 800 or try to work it through the internet. If you get insurance that way it will get dropped when the VIN or make/model doesn't match the classification of RV in their system. It sucks to be on the road and not receive the letter that your insurance has been unknowingly dropped. Thier systems have every vehicle make/model listed and it's classification. With an agent, they can verify the vehicle and go to bat for you with the insuring company. They may have to copy or fax your title to the head office to verify the RV title status. Trust me, they want the business. It's good word of mouth when they pull off what most other insurance companies won't deal with. Just think about how often people don't change insurance companies. If they get it done, they could set themselves up for many years of income. I've been with Progressive and they love me. I've never had a claim and I have been with them for over 11 years.