Insulation in texas (or hot climates)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a few weeks out from starting my van building project and it seems like a lot of the insulation advice is for cooler climates. I plan on running a fan at night when its hot and parking in the shade, but I am mostly concerned with it being hot at night.

What would you guys recommend in terms of insulation for warmer climates? For reference, I will probably be getting a cargo van and completely gutting it before putting in any new insulation/flooring/etc.

insulation works both ways, hot or cold. however you must use something to raise or lower the temp inside to make it comfy unless the ambient temp is already in your comfort range. the insulation is there so you use less energy to keep it comfy. I feel the color of the vehicle is very important also light colors for hot enviros dark colors for cold. if you are in both, then you have a choice to make. highdesertranger

Yes. Insulation will just slow down the inevitable. Refletix used as designed is good for reducing heat gain (sun load). Other insulation like styrofoam have higher R factor for traditional insulation, conserving your heated or cooled environment. I have a combo of both these in my van, but I also use plug in AC of 5000btu and it's barely enough on a hot FL day out in the sun. I have a display van (half windows) you can't insulate glass very well.

Having lived in TX (hill country). I would recommend leaving it during the summers and spending your time in someplace like the higher elevated areas of New Mexico instead. Most of the AC's that are in the 5000BTU range simply cannot handle the kind of heat + humidity there. I tested my AC in west Texas and it didn't fare any better there.

thank you all for the input. can any recommend some of the AC units that work well(ish)?

And also, I will probably be further north more of the time during the summer. I am also just used to the heat.

Not just going north, as altitude is the key to cooler temps.

We had a 5200 A/C from Sears that was pretty cold. It was about $100.
We used it on moderate days in an RV window. When it got over 100 the more expensive to run roof unit came into play and we'd close the hall door to cool the living space up front.

I'd think the window unit would cool an insulated van, especially with the windshield covered with reflective.

Some of it depends on how cool you need to be for comfort. I need 80* or less for sleep. We do have stretches when it doesn't get that low any time during the night. Some folks will not feel cool at 70*, and I don't see how they can manage a Texas summer in a vehicle.

Vickie

Vickie,
Having spent a few summers in the desert in a van under army camo shade I can tell you there nights that sleeping out on a cot can be uncomfortably warm....till about 3-4 am when some extra cover is mighty nice. Went to sleep in the open many nights in my birthday suit still sweating.
I've been in the desert southwest most of my life, so I know to live with it.
On a hot day a pump sprayer and some shade makes a real difference. A shaded van will be a little cooler at night too.
How comfortable you can get depends on where you are and what you can get by with.
On electric with an A/C is really the way to go if possible.

bindi&us said:
Vickie,
Having spent a few summers in the desert in a van under army camo shade I can tell you there nights that sleeping out on a cot can be uncomfortably warm....till about 3-4 am when some extra cover is mighty nice. Went to sleep in the open many nights in my birthday suit still sweating.
I've been in the desert southwest most of my life, so I know to live with it.
On a hot day a pump sprayer and some shade makes a real difference. A shaded van will be a little cooler at night too.
How comfortable you can get depends on where you are and what you can get by with.
On electric with an A/C is really the way to go if possible.

Greetings!

Have you tried those cooling blankets? No power required.

Mine were designed for NASA to maintain your proper body temp, regardless of outdoor temps. They work both ways, both heating and cooling.

I use mine when I'm going to bed about sunrise, and it's a bit chilly, then I can stay in bed pretty much as long as I want, even at 95-100° it keeps me comfortably cool. Really neat stuff. I use one for a chair throw, or cozy sometimes too.

They're a little spendy, and there may be cheaper ones available, but I do love mine. I think they're available on Amazon.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

The CamperVan_Man said:
Greetings!
Have you tried those cooling blankets? No power required.
The CamperVan_Man

Glad you reminded me of those. I had one that came from the hospital. It must have been part of the big downsizing operation a couple years ago. With summer coming it might be a good idea to get another one.

CamperVan_Man: Could you recommend any non-powered cooling blankets? The only ones I am familiar with are the hospital ones that require power.
Spiff

Honestly, I never tried it for cooling. The one I had was the square weave and it worked great between 2 blankets for winter warmth. The holes in the weave are dead air space, so I can see it being insulation from highs and lows.

`

It was sure nice when it came out of the warmer when I was chilly. When they wheeled me out (regulations) to the van they didn't ask for it back. Wish it was still around to I could check out the cooling effect.

I have never heard of cooling blankets either. I must look into those too. thanks for the heads up camper van man, and the link bindi&us. highdesertranger

Spaceman Spiff said:
CamperVan_Man: Could you recommend any non-powered cooling blankets? The only ones I am familiar with are the hospital ones that require power.
Spiff

Greetings Spiff!

Amazon appears to have the NASA ones, and I love mine. That being said though, I do not know if they are identical to mine. Years ago, before retirement, my Aunt & Uncle both worked for NASA, and mine were gifts from them.

Prior to these I had a thermo electric one, and I would NOT recommend them. It was great when you went to bed, but a few hours later you'd wake up freezing. It had no thermostat, only heat or cold, and in either direction it was heaven for a couple of hours, then hell, either frozen over or fire & brimstone...

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=NASA cooling blanket&index=blended&link_code=qs

These "LOOK" the same as mine, and they say they're NASA.

It's hard to put a price on comfort, and I think the guy's pricing these are taking full advantage of that fact. There may be cheaper alternatives, someone once suggested "Medical Cooling Blanket" as a cheaper alternative. I haven't done a search for those.

These NASA ones work perfectly for me, seems they're designed to optimize your body temperature, regardless of the surrounding temps. Mine seem to work REALLY well.

My Aunt & Uncle also gave me several pairs of NASA long johns and tops, and as silly as it sounds, you can wear them when it's 120° out and stay cool! If I wind up in the desert in the summer and have to go outdoors, I'll put on my NASA long johns, and everybody HAS to think I'm nuts... Even have NASA ski type masks that work in the summer too...

I don't know what their secret is, but it sure works. I heard that the Frog Togs guys used to work for NASA too. Don't know if that's true, but I have heard good things about their products, even though I have no first hand knowledge.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

An old-fashioned way to stay cool is a spray/misting bottle of water and a fan. Does a remarkable job.
Bob

Misting water or rubbing alcohol with evaporation by a fan lowers the body temperature by 35%. The rubbing alcohol is not recommended any more since the 90's, because some is absorbed by the body and people were using it on children.
If you lower your body temperature too fast, you will shiver which actually will increase your body temperature.
You can also use cold or icy water in a "hot" water bottle or anything that doesn't leak directly next to your skin and the heat will be pulled away from your body.

akrvbob said:
An old-fashioned way to stay cool is a spray/misting bottle of water and a fan. Does a remarkable job.
Bob

The old spray bottle trick works well even without a fan too. I love my spray bottles and use them for so many things.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

I used to have a small TT that had a mist system on the edge of the awning. When hooked to a hose it kept the "patio" pretty cool on a sweltering day. A 12V pump would work, but not good for the water supply onboard.

Yesterday was over 90 in Tucson. I put up the reflective on the part of the windows that don't open on the south side and the big back window facing west. A 9" fan was all we needed to stay comfortable.
On hotter days I've found that shade screen hung down the exterior sunny side cuts the temp quite a bit...even better if rigged to form an awning. I salvaged the shade screen from a dumpster behind a pool company that does patio covers too. One piece will cover an entire side and another is cut to fit the windshield and front windows. Easy to bungee or tie off to about anything. Well worth looking for some.

Latest posts