Insomnia - how to cure?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
In the past 4 months, I have developed a pretty bad case of insomnia. I can usually sleep for 3 or 4 hours initially around 9 or 10pm but will wake up middle of night around 2 or 3am and can't go back to sleep. When I finally get out of bed around  630am, I feel fatigued a few hours later around 10am or so. Even if I try to take a nap midday, I can't fall asleep like I used to. This is adversely affecting my health and I find myself having trouble staying awake during the day. I've tried melatonin and herbal sleep aids but they either help little or not at all. Anyone have advice? I'm getting desperate.

Thanks, Casey

Benadryl. although there are new studies saying it affects your memory.maybe just to break the cycle.

I have the same problem, but it's pain related. I use benadryl, sometimes.

I've used Vick's ZZZZZquil a couple of times, seems to help.

I use Diphenhydramine hci 25mg sleeping tablets from Walmart. About 5$ for 100 count. I get the Equate brand sleeping pills and this is the active ingredient. These work way better for me than my ambien. As with any sleep aid, if used every night for an extended time, don't expect to sleep to well when you stop taking them. I only take the equates now if I didn't get sleep the night before. Meaning I try not to take them if I don't absolutely need them. Best of luck and hope your sleeping pattern gets better for you soon!

Lifestyle changes. Diet, exercise, environment. Hold bedtime routine as sacred, no matter what.

Change your bedding/sleep position/pillow because whatever you're currently doing isn't working.

Pills are always a last resort.

i use melatonin double the herbal dose only a few days after i come off a nighttime schedule. I use binaural beats audio therapy to fall asleep faster to slow the wheels down if ive got a big project under way. last thing i do is keep the artificial light as close to sun schedule as possible to keep natural sleep chemicals in check, use red shift app and lowest brightness settings on the computer/device screens to make colors shift red/amber after sunset, avoid all bluish or bright light during night hours. its worked wonders and supposedly safer than unisom or prescription options, yeah exercise is a miracle drug for me, 10-20 miles on bike does well

What works for me for insomnia:
 - Read something light until my eyes tire.
 - Aroma therapy - lavender.
 - Eat something non-stimulating (no sugar, coffee, chocolate) + warm milk.
 - Exercise, then a warm shower.
 - Wear myself out exercising: hard biking, long hike with weight, rowing, x-c skiing, snowshoeing.

I find that if I am thinking about something that upsets me before I go to bed I will have a hard time sleeping.  I get my daily news in the morning.
I never have trouble sleeping when backpacking.  The harder the day the deeper the sleep (not dependent on how comfortable the bed).
I sleep well after intense concentration (any intense competition), but I have fewer opportunities to do that anymore.

-- Spiff

I watched a YouTube video that advocates staying awake for 36 hours straight to reset your internal clock for sleeping normally again. Anyone think there is any merit to this?

Lifestyle change.

When I was working a remote IT gig from home, I got to the point that I rarely slept more than a couple hours a night. Tired all day, but couldn't sleep at night.

I went back to working construction and haven't missed a night of sleep since.

I sing to myself in my head nonstop. It doesn't allow me to focus on anything and I drift off.

Years ago I bought a tape which a lady talked you through relaxing every tiny muscle in your body...her soothing voice and my following her instructions put me to sleep...never did hear the tape all the way to the end.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 4
I think exercise is the key to most people with sleep issues. Humans are hunter/gatherer's by nature and that expends a lot of energy with equates to a great nights sleep. Now that we no long need to hunt and gather it helps to replace that with something else that burns unused energy.

I'm not good at it, but i've also heard that people who sleep/awake with the sun have a much better quality of sleep as we are also naturally wired to sleep when the sun goes down and awake when it comes up. I have dreams of trying this when I hit the road full time.

Are you still driving?? i would recommend a couple shots of good whiskey and lay down. Hope your going to the RTR.

Years ago, I read that insomnia isn't really about an inability to sleep. It's just an inability to sleep on society's schedule. Not everyone has a 24-hour internal clock. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. When research subjects lived in controlled environments with nothing to indicate time, when they functioned according to their individual internal clocks, their schedules ran short or long of 24 hours -- sometimes by minutes, sometimes by hours. That means some people are constantly struggling to synch up their internal clocks with society's. I don't know if the experts still go along with this, but if you have the luxury of not needing to fit the standard 24-hour clock, you might try just sleeping when you're tired and not beating yourself up when it doesn't match what most other people do.

The only time I've ever had insomnia is when my Cardiologist switched me from Warfarin to Pradaxa.  I developed a wicked case of insomnia after about three months on the Pradaxa.  Finally got around to reading the fine print on Pradaxa and discovered that insomnia was one of the possible side effects.  Went back on Warfarin and the insomnia went away.

So, any changes in your medication even if it was months ago?  Anything you're taking that lists insomnia as a possible side effect?

If you are able, try walking at least 20 minutes a day at a brisk pace, 40 minutes would be better and in the fresh air. Fresh air is very important. How much melatonin were you taking? With my adult son with DS, and he is a tough case when his clock is off, I have found only one brand and dosage that works, Natrol Melatonin Time Release 5 mg and I give him 2 for a total of 10 mg. I can't remember the reason, but it is not a good idea to rely on this constantly long term or it will stop working, or so I think, if you use it excessively like so many other things. Also, myself, a double strength Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea, Sleepytime (don't get the one with decaf green tea in it, just the plain one) works well. Also, with the thoughts in my head, I try to switch to something boring like what food I have on hand and what I need to shop for. I tried counting sheep, but before they jump over the fence, they each do individual different little dances, and I think I fell asleep when I ran out of dances for them. It is quite entertaining. Crazy? Yeah, but whatever it takes to get the job done. ***I do not recommend staying up for 36 hours in order to reset your clock.

Benadryl doesn't make me groogy in the morning.

Something I just thought of ... the blue screen on your electronic devices are reported to be detrimental to sleeping. I think I remember reading no gadgets for an hour or 3 before bed. Can't find the link, atm.

Latest posts