Inside RV Small Security Camera

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flip a coin or go with what you think works best.

But if they do spot the camera and it is focused on one side they will just choose the other side.

Getting a picture of their license plate is really important however what if they park behind the van or somewhere else. It's a deterrent really. If they spot the camera on one side. Hopefully they think there might be another camera inside too. And they just leave.

My dog is the last resort. When I leave him for work other times. He will bark.

But when he is with me. Yes I just hope it deters them to just leave.

Last edited:
I have my camera setup and ready to mount on one end of the Thule roof rack bar. I still have to slide it over to one side so it kinda overhangs for the camera overlooking down.

So now the question is in your opinion which side should I have the camera on. The driver side or the passenger side which has the sliding door. I am thinking passenger side but thinking like a thief. They might go straight break in through the driver side door get in that way because thats the side they will pull up with their car and I can get a view picture of license plate too.

Also yes I am not able to adjust resolution on streaming. However I can adjust how much speed and frame rate to download and that's what's going to save some data for me.
Besides it's not not streaming 24/7 (unless I leave my phone on the app to view camera streaming) nor will I have it on 24/7. It will notify me of movement. And then when I view camera then it streams and I can take picture, speak on the mic, siren, turn on light or capture a record time lapse.when motion was detected I think (I don't have a micro SD card yet for recording). I will be able to gauge how much data I will be using once I start really using this.

So that begs the question which side?
I used to watch some episodes of the Nomadic Fanatic. The exterior cameras which were visible did not stop thieves from stealing his stuff. He lost stuff quite a few times. Of course he is not the brightest of the youtube creators and he did eventually resort to paying for a professionally installed security system.

Last edited:
Maybe I can cover the camera with leaves and twigs lol, camouflage. I got the black camera to match the van (silver mostly black trim van). I don't think these theives are as smart as we think. Once they figured it out. I should be notified and have some picture or footage. I'm turning the siren on, yelling on the mic, light flashing lol.

Last edited:
Put stickers on it saying live video monitored just in case they don’t notice the cameras.