Inside RV Small Security Camera

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they want to use cell they will need Internet access to the camera. They will also need constant power to camera, Internet, router, etc.

I have Internet access wifi that used data only sim, Winegard I would like the camera to connect to that.

I need to be able to set the camera to use the lowest bandwidth possible. Even though I have unlimited data plan (still a tier away from no throttle) it gets throttled down after 50 gig/month. So I don't mind 480p.

I prefer a battery operated security camera that i can charge so I don't use up house battery.

I need a battery operated camera that only uses bandwidth when it detects motion to continuously record. I don't mind using my data for that. Because that would mean either mean my dog is moving or someone breaking in. Trust me my dog will not move if he doesn't have to. He will just be laying down in the foyer still.

What else? Thanks all.

I have Internet access wifi that used data only sim, Winegard I would like the camera to connect to that.

I need to be able to set the camera to use the lowest bandwidth possible. Even though I have unlimited data plan (still a tier away from no throttle) it gets throttled down after 50 gig/month. So I don't mind 480p.

I prefer a battery operated security camera that i can charge so I don't use up house battery.

I need a battery operated camera that only uses bandwidth when it detects motion to continuously record. I don't mind using my data for that. Because that would mean either mean my dog is moving or someone breaking in. Trust me my dog will not move if he doesn't have to. He will just be laying down in the foyer still.

What else? Thanks all.
Is the Internet and router always on? It makes a difference in the solution you need.

Is the Internet and router always on? It makes a difference in the solution you need.

For this purpose It will only be on when I leave and use the camera.

Good news though I think I found the camera that matches my needs....

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/essential/arlo-essential-v2.html

It has 480p, wifi 2.4ghz, Motion detection, battery operated, two way speaker, alarm doesn't require a subscription...

I'm still curious about how much bandwidth it uses. That's probably something I have to experience and report because that is really based on the user.
Another thought. I could possibly mount it outside the RV at a discreet location to just prevent a break in overall.

Besides, thinking like a burglar. They wouldn't break in right away. They would walk around the van. Make sure the coast is clear, look inside the windows, tug on the door handles. Hopefully the camera notifies me and I can utilize the alarm and speaker to prevent a break in, in the first place.

Finding a discreet spot would now be the issue. Wouldn't want the burglar to find it, shut it down, then break in. That wouldn't be good. Mounting it.
It wouldn't be good if I drive away and it falls off. Plus there is no other color choice than white. Black would blend in better. Hmmm

Possibly mounting it inside looking out the window passenger/bed side far back of the van. Thinking like a burglar again. They would probably walk around a few times.

Last edited:
Even if that camera needs AC power that does not mean you must use your huge main inverter to power it. You can buy a very small sized inverter to run that device and leave your large, power hungry, inverter turned off.

I do not even travel with a large inverter. But I do travel with a 100 watt inverter as some days I am running a vinyl cutter or inkjet printer. For a few other low power devices that came with a 120 AC power brick that outputs DC current to the device I purchase a DC adapter that outputs that matching current and use it instead of the AC power brick.

Remember there are other options to using a large inverter to power those small devices. If you are working day shift then solar can offset your power needs. If you are working nights then you will be using stored power from your battery.

Even if that camera needs AC power that does not mean you must use your huge main inverter to power it. You can buy a very small sized inverter to run that device and leave your large, power hungry, inverter turned off.

Thanks yea my huge main inverter is not on all time. For the small stuff It gets power through the 12V. The only time I really use the inverter when not connected to a 30amp is, when on the Xbox (to use YouTube TV or play video games), microwave, stove, outlets. My 12V I believe runs the interior exterior lights, the gas heater USB ports, of course fridge. I am still learning about this part of the van life. Learning in general.

I also found another camera that matches my needs and is getting better reviews than the latter except I don't think I see a 480p option. But has another way to mount instead of a screw in type. The other mount seems like I can put a 3M type adhesive and stick on the roof looking down at the side of van. Also zip tie the camera on the Thule rack is another option because I'll probably be driving with it still mounted.

https://m.reolink.com/product/argus-2e/

There are some very good battery powered cameras. But most of them don't have 2 way audio. I feel like I sold one over the last couple years that had the feature. I'll see if I can find it.

One of the nice features on a few of them is you could add on a very small solar panel that would keep the battery charged and topped off.

If you're Internet is always on when you want to monitor via the camera, something like that would work.

Here you go. There are other similar cameras. Amazon/Google search "battery powered security camera audio".

SOVMIKU 2CG6 Solar Security Camera Wireless Outdoor,Battery Powered Cam,Easy to Setup,PIR Motion Detection, Two Way Audio, Audible Flashlight Siren,2.4GHz Wi-Fi Color Night Vision, SD Slot,Vicohome https://a.co/d/1T3omYo

The 2nd camera i just posted, Argus 2E has an included "tree" strap. I can strap that onto my Thule rack looking down.

@Happy Camper Thanks for some more options let me take a look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240614-093009.png
    Screenshot_20240614-093009.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 0
Here you go. There are other similar cameras. Amazon/Google search "battery powered security camera audio".

SOVMIKU 2CG6 Solar Security Camera Wireless Outdoor,Battery Powered Cam,Easy to Setup,PIR Motion Detection, Two Way Audio, Audible Flashlight Siren,2.4GHz Wi-Fi Color Night Vision, SD Slot,Vicohome https://a.co/d/1T3omYo

I might be sold on the Argus 2E. It's on sale (there's a solar panel option too. I may not do that. I wish I can tap into the existing solar on the roof?)
because of the mounting options.

Edit: I may do the solar panel addition it's cheap. I can just remove it when I drive away. Is there a way I can tap into my current solar panels on the roof?

I'll just take look at the Thule rack again. I can use the tree strap at the end of the Thule rack and point the camera down. Though it may not be discreet. But that maybe be good enough to deterr. If they try to get on the roof I'll let alarm go off on the camera.

Last edited:
The best way to tap into your larger solar panels is to run the camera off the batteries at the correct voltage. Trying to tap into your panel would create more costs and potentially more problems down the road. Literally and figuratively lol. You won't need to run an inverter for the camera.

The Argus uses a 5v 2a micro USB to charge. That is about as simple as it gets. Think stronger old phone charger.

https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-u...ower-Adapter-I-Can-Use-to-Charge-the-Battery/