Input needed: 2012 Ford E350 Super Duty Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainley53

Reaction score
It's been a while since my last post.  To catch up I had a garage/estate sale October 3rd and 4th.  Sold EVERYTHING including the house.  Couldn't believe it.  Closed on the sale of the house Oct. 12th, just 8 days.  Packed everything into the Saturn and Budd The Mutt (my dog) and I came to Tennessee to help my Uncle; whose wife was terminal with brain cancer.  She passed on the 26th.  On Nov. 3rd, Budd got hit by a car while running across the highway and was killed instantly.  I never dreamed I would become so attached to any animal so quickly.  I was totally devastated by Budd's death.
Budd%25252002.jpg

I have decided the Saturn is no where big enough for me to live in and am planning to buy at auction a 2012 Ford E350 Super Duty van with an extended roof.  It's been used for transporting the elderly and handicapped and has a wheelchair lift in the back.  I also plan to buy at auction a 16' x 7' dual axle enclosed cargo trailer for my motorcycle and to use for additional storage space.  

What I want to know from you guys:  What should I be aware of and look out for on this vehicle (E350).  It has a 5.4 liter V8 FlexFuel gas engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive and has 178,000 miles on it  It's had no issues, only routine maintenance, tires and brakes.  I've seen the maintenance records.  The roof is double walled with support beams.  The mechanic is 230 pounds and has walked on it/them with no problems.  They're very strong.
IMG_20151107_093345099.jpg

IMG_20151107_093402313.jpg

IMG_20151108_102749247.jpg

IMG_20151108_103012104.jpg

IMG_20151108_103038312.jpg

If it came from a reliable fleet, they do age out higher mile vehicles for new to cut down on future events . I bought a similar size 2001 185k diesel and paid 3500 put another 6k in repairs and never looked back

I think the biggest thing to watch out for at an auction is to not get caught up in a bidding war. I have seen many vehicles sell for much more than what they were worth. Set a maximum amount you are willing to spend and stick to it.

My biggest concern: Is the 5.4 liter engine big enough to pull a 16' trailer around the mountain roads and boondocking areas of western U.S.

First I should state that I have been a huge fan of Ford trucks for decades.  But not the E series vans especially when equipped with the 5.4 liter modular motor.  Or, to a less extent, the 4.6L modular motor. 

I also feel that the four speed automatic trans is a really outdated these days with six and eight speed automatics currently available and a 10 speed coming out soon in Ford and GM trucks.  At 178k miles the transmission in that van is suspect in how much longer it will live.

The six speed automatic, 6L90E designation, in my recently purchased 2012 GMC Savana van is a very sweet unit.  It has two overdrives.   If I told you the fuel mileage numbers that my van will get you probably not believe me, it is that good.

On the safety issue, Ford E series and the Mopar vans when in extended trim. do not have an extended wheelbase.  The body is just extended out behind the axle.  The pendulum effect of having so much mass behind the axle and a shorter than ideal wheelbase make them ride & drive in a less than optimum manner.  The possibility of rollover in emergency maneuvers is also an issue.  If you go to Roadmaster Active Suspension and take a look at the video of pretty much the van you are thinking of buying being put thru it's paces.  You will see what I mean about the safety issue.

The extended GMC Savana and Chevy Express vans have an appropriate longer wheelbase and ride and drive better and more safely. 

About the trailer:

Most 7' wide cargo trailer are very close to, or right at 8.5 feet wide at the outside of the fenders.  A six foot wide trailer is significantly easier to drive as they are about a foot narrower.  The body of a six foot wide trailer is narrower than a full size truck or van so extended mirrors are not really needed.  Fuel economy when towing the 6' unit will better as well.

Also, a rear ramp door is a much much better way to go if you are hauling a motorcycle.

So I'm suggesting that you consider a 6' x14'-16' cargo trailer with a rear ramp.  It will make your life easier.  Towing anything sucks, towing a 6' wide trailer just sucks a lot less than towing the wider unit.

Having pulled a lot of trailers, I prefer the wider ones for the stability factor.

Also if you get one where the body extends out over the wheel wells, you will get a lot more space in no bigger of a footprint.

When I taught at a private school I put many thousands of miles on extended Ford vans with 5.4 liter engines taking trips. We were always loaded with 15 people, and usually towing a 6x12 trailer loaded with gear. These trips involved driving right through the Rocky mountains from Colorado Springs to the Utah desert areas. No, we didn't climb the hills as fast as my diesel pickup, but we also weren't blocking traffic and were usually passing the loaded semis. As for the stability issue, just make sure you load the heavy stuff forward of the rear axle, and don't try and drive it like a sports car. It's a truck.
I also wouldn't get that big of a trailer, unless you need to haul much much more than a motorcycle. My 6x12 is built out inside for living, and I can still fit my KLR 650, also with a table saw and some supplies that won't fit in my truck. Almost all 7' and 8' wide trailers are 8'6'' wide at the outside of the fenders. I have run into places that are limited to 8' wide so that may also be a consideration. As for trailers with the wheels inside of the wall line, they are made, usually custom in anything less than 8' wide. But you lose a little stability compared to when the wheels are outside of the wheel line. It has to do with weight distribution and center of gravity. Not bad normally, but you will notice it in a cross wind or passing a semi.

Thank you Off Grid 24/7 and masterplumber.  My "race car" days are way behind me.  I'm old enough to no longer be concerned with other people's opinions of me or trying to impress anyone.  I'm more concerned with function than anything else.  Glad to hear this E350 will be okay pulling a load on mountain roads.  I've scrapped the idea of a 16' x 7' trailer; too long and too wide.  One concern is the max lenght of van plus trailer allowed at most RV campsites for those rare occasions when I might stay at one.  Also I think a 12' trailer would be plenty big.  I do like the idea of the "wheels inside" design for the additional space it provides.  I'm actually looking for a used U-haul trailer (6' x 12') as I think they may be built better than most others and yes I realize they are not "wheels inside".  I also prefer the trailer not be wider than my tow vehicle for rear viewing ability.  I definitely want to stay at 8' or less on the max width, wheel to wheel.  

The E350 I'm looking at is part of a state owned/funded fleet used for transporting elderly and/or handicapped people.  These vans must be auctioned, not sold to an individual.  There are 11 vans in this auction; only one is a 2012.  The rest are 2010-11.  The mechanic told me they normally sell (as is) for $3000-$4000 each.  I'm currently staying in western Tennessee on the Kentucky state line but my "home" address is Houston, Texas and the vehicles would be registered in Texas.  I have a budget of $10K for purchase, registration and build out, etc.  So, I'm feeling this is an opportunity not to be missed. The build out cost will be minimal as the shop where I'm staying (my Uncle's) has ALL the fabricating equipment anyone could wish for and most of the material needed. Most of my budget can be dedicated to purchase, sales tax and registration.

What would be the best way to register this van once I've finished the conversion; RV, motor home, truck, something else?  Passenger van is out.  I retired from the limo industry and know how expensive 'that' insurance is.

I'm quite familiar with weight distribution and will be sure it is properly addressed in the conversion.  Like masterplumber, Sternwake, and a few others I've seen on this Forum; I love my tools and would not be caught dead without them.  Or is it only caught dead?  LOL.

As usual, ALL input is appreciated.

I think registration will depend upon the rules in your state of official residence. It seems some are easy to change and get a new title, and some are just about impossible. You'll also need to call your insurance agent to see what their rules are, some go strictly by the VIN and some will actually look at it to see how it's used. Also, some really don't seem to like home built conversions. So when you talk to an agent, approach with caution. just tell them what you're thinking of doing. You may have to insure it as a truck with a load. Many of the tiny house people have had to register their homes as a trailer with a load.

I'm really, really sorry you lost Bud, it's amazing how attached we can become and how painful losing them can be. As much as it hurts now, it does slowly get better.
Bob