2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van [split from 1986 Dodge B-250 ...]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there is Vandweller C. He has 30 gallons of water, 30 gallons of gas, a scooter, 2 AC's, Generator, wood frame everything, and $100 fuel budget. He obsesses on luxuries and wants. ...

Vandweller C will look into carrying just one propane tank, besides He will carry a few of the camping bottles as extra so. Why do people act like it's the end of the world to carry more than a several hundred pounds in the van at all times? It's not like I am going to haul a 275 gallon IBC tote full of water or a pallet of lead bricks, I am not going to be extreme like that. Nor planning to exceed the GVWR.

Lets see the consequences of not carrying certain things (I will include approx. weight for the Weight Watchers):
Jack and Jack Stands (110 pounds) - Having a tire blow on Shit Creek road without a paddle, and neither AAA or Coachnet will come out as it's more than 50 feet from the paved road. Have to pay at least a couple hundred for a tow truck to come out for something I can do myself at only time cost with the right tools (jack and jack stands).
Tools and tool accessories (300 pounds or so) - apply situation above accordingly depending on what goes wrong.

the "Luxury" items:
-2200 watt PREDATOR Inverter genset, which I plan to take back to HFT for a full refund when I have the extra $100 for a used and operational HONDA EU2000i; the real deal in inverter gensets (60 pounds or so with fuel inside) - No means to charge the two deep cycle batteries to supplement the solar, no means to power the 15,000 BTUs worth of A/C off the grid; just like it was this time in 2015.
-Real mattress (70 pounds or so)* - lower sleep quality resulting in lower Life Quality; why skimp on something one spends at least 1/3rd of their life on?
-Electronic music studio components for pro-level electronic music creation; 2 studio monitors, studio monitor subwoofer, 61 key midi controller, USB audio interface, all cables to hook it all up (haven't weight it, but if I have to guess 200 pounds)** - try creating an non-amateur sounding electronic music composition with an iPad, several apps & a pair of headphones (it's much like editing photos or offering it support using a iPhone).
-Studio desk; 4x3" PC desk which I'll design the van interior around (30-50 pounds or so with nothing on it) - No place to put the above.
-Desktop computer with full-size keyboard, mouse, monitor and my digital life (120 pounds or so, guys I don't obsess over every pound of moving or non-moving weight)*** - This is where I spend a lot of my free time inside my parents house, so when I move into the vanhouse desire to compute in the same way I do now...
-Wood frame generator box (20 pounds or so) - protect the inverter generator from theives, and the elements, while quieting the sound further.
-10,000 BTU and 5,000 BTU HAIER window A/Cs (40 pounds or so for both, I like to LIVE instead of endlessly working to save money and fuel) - No means to keep me cool inside the van, not sweltering (fans and sarongs don't count when it's 85+ outside); provided genset is operational and has fuel.
-I am not going to list any the small stuff as to list all the small stuff in a representative fashion this post would be 5x longer.

*If I didn't have a real mattress, I would still desire something to sleep on; and an mattress weighs the least so we'll go with that (Less than 10 pounds with pump). Using my weight estimate for the Real Mattress, we're looking at 60 pound of net weight savings in exchange for lower sleep quality (which for me directly translates to lower Life Quality), having it fail in the middle of the night (everybody says being misreable is the best part of the "adventure"!), and fill in the rest.
**I am an electronic musician, and much like a painter who carries his easel with him; really desire to have the full setup in the van. Plus the best time to start an electronic musician career is when you're young, as with most careers.
***Powering the desktop box is the primary concern, not the weight or space it will take up. 95% of what I use the desktop for can be done on the laptops. Going to acquire a UPS to plug the desktop and monitor into, as an extra layer of protection against genset power. Laptops can charge even on dirty generator power, and because of the battery are uninterruptible.

He refuses to listen to anyone, because in his few years he knows it all. He thinks that in 5 days he can raise enough money to support himself over the summer.

Just remember that of all the people in the world, nobody loves you like your mother does. Try having a honest conversation with her. She made it possible for you to get the new van. (and a few other details.)
I don't claim to "know it all". Not possible in 5 days on the wage I have, that is what the parental fuel subsidy/"loan" is for.

I am very thankful she financed this van, me paying $400 a month towards owning it with 0% interest; which no bank or financier would do for me.

Now that the predecessor has left the driveway, working overtime to set up the back of the FORD for comfortable full-time living.

Here are some mods including but not limited to that are incomplete or I haven't started:
-install FANTASTIC FAN in high-top
-finish genset box
-install 120v outlet boxes in van
-install CB radio
-move studio PC desk in van
-fabricate a centerline support for bed platform using 2x4s
-install 10,000 BTU HAIER window A/C in back window
-install spare A/C (likely the portable A/C as I don't have another suitable window to fit the 5,000 BTU window A/C)
-put down rugs
-mount moving blankets parallel to walls for temporary insulation (cover 99% of bare metal this way)
-mount finished hub boxes onto kitchenette.

I don't understand about the two ACs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than maybe the two air conditioners, your list looks totally reasonable. Good job!

Cammalu said:
I don't understand about the two ACs?

FALCON said:
Other than maybe the two air conditioners ...

I don't know if the real deal HONDA eu2000i I now own can power both the 10,000 and 5,000 BTU window A/Cs simultaneously, need to perform a test run.

All I know is 11,000 BTUs cooled the van down to a comfortable temperature (upper 70s), so I am returning to Las Vegas with a cooling arsenal.

Here is the lineup for this years EDC Las Vegas:
edc_las_vegas_2016_lu_full_lineup_1080x1350_r05.png

No Claude Vonstroke, Dubfire, John Digweed, or Sasha this year (that is if the lineup doesn't change). At least one out of the four electronic musicians played at EDC LV 2013, 2014, and 2015. Some of my favorite sets were by these electronic musicians. It appears EDC has went full mainstream, possibly leaving it's roots behind. For a few seconds when I read the lineup I thought of selling my ticket, that is how sad I felt about the non-inclusion of either Claude Vonstroke, Dubfire, John Digweed, or Sasha. Still going to have a amazing time under the electric sky without them though!

Here is the reason for the rush to LIVE now vs later. The Great EDC coming soon (which I don't plan to live through, prepared to die when The EDC happens):

Attachments

• Economy Demolishing Collapse (EDC) v2.png
    Economy Demolishing Collapse (EDC) v2.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 8
the Honda will not run both AC's at the same time. I doubt it will run the 10k alone. I must be old I don't know any of those names on the booking list. guess I don't need to worry about AC for another year. it must be nice to have all that disposable income. highdesertranger

2,000 watts is 2.6 hp, or 6,666 BTU/hour

(1hp = 750 watts = 2,500 BTU/hr)

So unless I'm misunderstanding AC BTU ratings, your generator could probably power the 5,000 BTU AC but not the bigger one and certainly not both.

igsfish said:
Even though there is no Claude Vonstroke, Dubfire, John Digweed, or Sasha this year at least there will be Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs.

As to this EDC thing, you sure give up easy. Is AC that important? Define soon. Bets on date?
Give up easy? I am still going as there are many of my favorite electronic musicians on the roster.

A/C is important enough to have it as an option (along with the genset to power it off-grid) when traveling to a cool place is NOT an option. EDC happens June 17-20th, and during the fest there will only be time to Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat; which I why I want to have all systems ready to go by June 1st.
guess I don't need to worry about AC for another year.  it must be nice to have all that disposable income.  highdesertranger
You don't have to worry about A/C for another year?

FALCON said:
2,000 watts is 2.6 hp, or 6,666 BTU/hour

(1hp = 750 watts = 2,500 BTU/hr)

So unless I'm misunderstanding AC BTU ratings, your generator could probably power the 5,000 BTU AC but not the bigger one and certainly not both.

gsfish said:
My Honda will run a 6,500BTU with no problem, wouldn't want to speculate on the 10,000BTU though, 15K, forget it.

Guy

highdesertranger said:
the Honda will not run both AC's at the same time.  I doubt it will run the 10k alone.  I must be old I don't know any of those names on the booking list. 

I've heard of people running a RV rooftop A/C from one HONDA EU2000i, RV rooftop A/Cs are higher than 10,000 BTUs. I understand the limitations of 2000 watts, looks like I will have to scale back the A/C to just the 10,000 BTU A/C in the back window with the 12,000 BTU A/C as a secondary/spare incase the 10,000 BTU goes bust.

There is a chance that I can park at a friends roomates place, and will be able to plug in to the grid there; which is cheaper and less work than genset power. Generator power is expensive electicity.

Upper 70s is better than triple digits inside... If I was OCD on climate control I probably wouldn't attend EDC as we're looking at 70s-90s outside temperature in the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (EDC is Dusk till Dawn, nighttime). Alberta is much cooler than Las Vegas in July.

gsfish said:
Is the 5,000btu AC unit now 12,000btu? Have you tried running the 10K unit from the generator? Would be a good idea before mounting it. Should take about five minutes.

I GET THE AC REFERENCES AND IT SOUNDS LIKE GOOD ADVICE IMO...tjb

When I said "As to this EDC thing, you sure give up easy." I was referring to your statement "The Great EDC coming soon (which I don't plan to live through, prepared to die when The EDC happens): "

Guy

Listen guys all this STP PMS BS gives me a BFHA :huh:  Translation please what is the EDC Debit Is ready to die for.......'cuz it sounds like somethin' I do want to miss BT [Big Time]       :D       TEXAS JBIRD

gsfish said:
Is the 5,000btu AC unit now 12,000btu? Have you tried running the 10K unit from the generator? Would be a good idea before mounting it. Should take about five minutes.

When I said "As to this EDC thing, you sure give up easy." I was referring to your statement "The Great EDC coming soon (which I don't plan to live through, prepared to die when The EDC happens): "

Guy

I just got back from pulling $285 pedicabbing last night, does it look like I have a ton of free time? I will test-run the HAIER 10,000 BTU Window A/C and the DELONGHI 12,000 BTU Portable A/C on the HONDA EU2000i genset. The 5000 BTU A/C is another unit I have.

90 in the dry Vegas air does not feel all that hot. You just have to stay hydrated.

As for running the 10,000 or 12,000 BTU ACs: your generator can make 6,666 BTU MAX. Even if those ACs will turn on and operate, they will be cooling air at 6,666 BTU max. They probably won't work any better than the 5,000 BTU one. You don't just magically get 3000+ BTUs out of nowhere.

As someone else said, make sure you test them and compare how well they work VS the 5,000 BTU unit before installing one.

TJ you crack me up, I too didn't know what EDC was. EDC = Electric Daisy Carnival. I looked it up. highdesertranger

EDC is also "every day carry" for preppers.

This is the first time I've read in this thread in months and I've just looked at the last few entries.

MY big question is: If you would rather die when SHTF, then why spend time and money on learning how to survive it? There are so many joyful things to spend that time and money on. Oh well, to each his own.

Test ran the HAIER 10,000 BTU and DELONGHI 12,000 BTU A/Cs individually from the HONDA EU2000i genset, both blew cold air for a run duration of 5-10 minutes each. I know the HONDA can't power both at the same time, but 10,000 BTUs should be sufficient A/C for this micro-apartment space; considering this unit if marketed for conventional house living rooms with 4-6 times the cubic footage. This coupled with the built-in A/C in the cab while going places should keep the van at a comfortable temperature.

Going to install the HAIER 10,000 BTU in the back window with the portable stationed near the front of the van. If on grid power both can be ran at the same time for quick cooling.

Aside from A/C I plan to have these in my cooling arsenal:
-The cool mist humidifier I spoke of in another thread
-a SUNPENTOWN evaporative cooler (which needs an inverter to run off of batteries)
-Couple of $1 spray bottles
-Fantastic fan (reclaimed from the DODGE van)
-A small 12v fan or two.
-Frozen water and juice drinks
-The built in A/C the van has, when engine is running.
-Plenty of water
-Cheap to free ice from restaurants & motels (When I get the chance).

debit.servus said:
Going to install the HAIER 10,000 BTU in the back window with the portable stationed near the front of the van. If on grid power both can be ran at the same time for quick cooling.

Aside from A/C I plan to have these in my cooling arsenal:
-a SUNPENTOWN evaporative cooler (which needs an inverter to run off of batteries)
-Couple of $1 spray bottles
-Fantastic fan (reclaimed from the DODGE van)
-A small 12v fan or two.
-Frozen water and juice drinks
-The built in A/C the van has, when engine is running.
-Plenty of water
-Cheap to free ice from restaurants & motels (When I get the chance).

We do have a saying in the backpacking forums - "You pack what you fear"

I can see that DSs' biggest fear is being too hot!!

debit.servus said:

You don't wanna run both a humidifier and a cooler that runs on evaporation... The latter relies on dry air.

I think you're best off with your $1 spray bottles and 12v fans. But maybe you'll get lucky and run your AC arsenal on a friend's shore power.

$285 is a good pay for one night of any entry level job. Is that a large haul for you? What's your weekly average?

Almost There said:
We do have a saying in the backpacking forums - "You pack what you fear"

I can see that DSs' biggest fear is being too hot!!
Since I am not a backpacker or Cheapskate kris who has learned to savor living out of a bicycle, I wouldn't consider packing what I fear.
gsfish said:
DS, just in case, as a backup to all that, you could get some of those chemical ice pack things like the EMTs use.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...a6Pf-asP0sBXzwkU0bKtkaAvRM8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Guy
Thanks for the link, 25 to a box comes out to less than $1 per use; something only worth using as a last resort.

TMG51 said:
You don't wanna run both a humidifier and a cooler that runs on evaporation... The latter relies on dry air.

I think you're best off with your $1 spray bottles and 12v fans. But maybe you'll get lucky and run your AC arsenal on a friend's shore power.

$285 is a good pay for one night of any entry level job. Is that a large haul for you? What's your weekly average?
The cool mist humidifier puts out a ultra fine mist which should supplement the cooler, with the fantastic fan intaking dry air from outside. If that doesn't bring the van to a comfortable temperature, the generator gets started and the A/C comes on.

I think I prefer not working to stay cool other than the working for the fuel to run the generator. I am planning on spending a week or less in Las Vegas, seeing free and next-to-free indoor attractions to stay out of the heat. Most of the things I desire to see in and around Las Vegas can be experienced outside of the inhospitably hot season.

The HONDA generator will run the HAIER 10,000 BTU window A/C which I am going to install in the back window today. I am not counting on shore power, as unlike some people I like being self sufficient.

I am imagining the poster playing with fans and spray bottles while I simply top up the tank, start the generator and set the A/C; not having to do anything more to stay cool for the next six hours until needing to refill the tank again.

$285 is my record pull for one night. I keep records of the nights I go out in terms of date, number of rides, profit after lease, and lease amount. I am going to share my real world earnings as I am not one to leave people in the dark:
Date, Rides, Profit, Lease amount (this is how the owners cover their expenses)
4-29, 4, $60, $40
5-01, 3, $70, Waived for me because I shared with the owner the two bad nights I had; so he comped the lease ($0.00)
5-11, 3, $133 (had one 3 mile ride from SAP center to San Jose Airport Hotel for $120), $30 Selena Gomez concert
5-14, 7, $72, $25
5-19, 12, $231, $30 San Jose Sharks game
5-21, 8, $112, $25
5-25, 12, $285, $30 San Jose Sharks game

$285 is my record pull for one night, that is not an average.

For those physically capable, look at becoming a pedicab operator as a way to pull money while exercising, getting to know a big city and being a part of big events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts