2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van [split from 1986 Dodge B-250 ...]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:huh:      WHY IN THE FLIPPITYFRACKINGFOCKINGFOOLINGFRICKING WORLD DO YOU HAVE TO BE LIVING IN A VAN IN VEGAS IN THE SUMMERTIME? 

I COULD UNDERSTAND IF SOMEONE HAD A JOB OR FAMILY OR HEALTH ISSUES THAT WOULD REQUIRE VAN LIVING  IN JUNE IN VEGAS.   IT SEEMS THAT IF IT IS SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IN THAT TIME FRAME YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.   MAYBE  YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF WITH THE 5,000BTU AC  IN A CAMPGROUND PLUGGED IN TO SHORE POWER?

WELL ALL I CAN DO IS WISH YOU LUCK IN NOT ENDING UP LIKE SPAM COOKED IN ITS' CAN.  :-/

2mpg from 18mpg is more than a 10% decrease. if I were short on money I would call that significant. highdesertranger

GotSmart said:
Honestly, list the things you NEED to take, and their weight.  When you are loaded down, and traveling uphill, mileage is way smaller than when rolling on flat land lightly loaded. 
I don't obsess about every penny, pound of moving weight and ounce of fuel; and I have no plans to. Rather work more to not stress over it.

Tjaybird said:
:huh:      WHY IN THE FLIPPITYFRACKINGFOCKINGFOOLINGFRICKING WORLD DO YOU HAVE TO BE LIVING IN A VAN IN VEGAS IN THE SUMMERTIME? 

I COULD UNDERSTAND IF SOMEONE HAD A JOB OR FAMILY OR HEALTH ISSUES THAT WOULD REQUIRE VAN LIVING  IN JUNE IN VEGAS.   IT SEEMS THAT IF IT IS SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO DO IN THAT TIME FRAME YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.   MAYBE  YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF WITH THE 5,000BTU AC  IN A CAMPGROUND PLUGGED IN TO SHORE POWER?

WELL ALL I CAN DO IS WISH YOU LUCK IN NOT ENDING UP LIKE SPAM COOKED IN ITS' CAN.  :-/
Because of EDC Las Vegas, Looking at minimizing the time in Las Vegas this time around; thinking of attending EDC, visiting my friend Tobias (if he is still living in Las Vegas), eating in the Air Conditioned buffet and heading north (This can all be accomplished in five days).

I know it will cost some money to be cool and comfortable while parked (FORD van has built in A/C with engine running, blows cold air).

With the A/C and the generator to power it I will NOT end up like spam cooked in it's can.
highdesertranger said:
2mpg from 18mpg is more than a 10% decrease.  if I were short on money I would call that significant. highdesertranger
Yeah and I should leave the tools behind, get stuck without them and enjoy a 1 day ordeal over something that can be rectified in one hour with the right tools; so I can have an "adventure".

I believe your envious of the van. I am imagining a scene where one vandweller is sweltering while typing a post onto this thread, criticizing my plan to not swelter this summer.

Also, I didn't mention I already secured my ticket into EDC.

Took out the back window and semi-installed the HAIER 10,000 BTU window A/C, and ran it with the 2200 watt HFT inverter genset.

debit.servus said:
I believe your envious of the van. I am imagining a scene where one vandweller is sweltering while typing a post onto this thread, criticizing my plan to not swelter this summer.

I'm imagining a similar scene except in my head I see one person happily dwelling in their van and another making excuses and talking a lot about it but never actually leaving their parents driveway.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I'm imagining a similar scene except in my head I see one person happily dwelling in their van and another making excuses and talking a lot about it but never actually leaving their parents driveway.

I am imagining a similar scene of me finally going full-time after giving away, liquidating and throwing away (things like old mail & expired ads) YEARS worth of accumulation while living with mom and dad. Only taking the stuff of value that has a use in my new life.

Oh and living my dream life and not stressing over every penny, pound of moving weight and pint of fuel.

You keep talking about how you aren't going to stress over pennies, weight, or fuel, yet all we see is spending for expensive tickets, bars, and travel. Don't you think there should be some income earning in there somewhere?

Proper planning includes allowing for weight of the load, and the fuel mileage.  

Ignoring the details does not allow for success. 

We re trying to help, and you keep ignoring reality.  You will learn the hard way, and it will not be pleasant.

You keep talking about how you aren't going to stress over pennies, weight, or fuel, yet all we see is spending for expensive tickets, bars, and travel. Don't you think there should be some income earning in there somewhere?
Income earning is in there, going to pedicab 5 days in a row this Saturday-Thursday to help alleviate my cash-flow crisis. On top of this, working overtime to unload the DODGE van.

Proper planning includes allowing for weight of the load, and the fuel mileage.

Ignoring the details does not allow for success.

We re trying to help, and you keep ignoring reality. You will learn the hard way, and it will not be pleasant.
I am going to make my view on moving weight and fuel economy clear: I don't weigh every little thing that goes into the van, and at the same time am not going to tile the floor with lead bricks or haul 55 gallons of water everywhere with me.

ignoring the details on the weight of the load and the fuel mileage? I am NOT going to have my life revolve around squeezing every last penny from the tank. I shouldn't have to sip gas on a sore ass!

Ignoring reality? Learning the hard way? Please elaborate. Because I want to live instead of stressing over every penny, pound of weight and pint of fuel? And yes I plan to work more so I can afford to not have to stress over it.

Lets do one of my Vandweller A vs B comparisons (The only difference between Vandweller A & B being their view on moving weight and fuel economy):

Vandweller A is a Mobile Dwelling Weight Watcher, and likes squeezing every last mile out of the tank. Everything he carries is weight-budgeted in a spreadsheet. He carries one propane tank, 3 gallons of water, no extra gas in cans, and all his furniture is made of plastic (think STERILITE drawers, milk crates and 5 gallon buckets). Vandweller A carries an average of 300 pounds of stuff in the van at all times, plus himself at 150 pounds. Vandweller A thinks he is rolling in the dough from his fuel savings, even with the increased cost of ownership of the plastic interior (plastic stuff becomes brittle, cracks, and is generally more hassle than more traditional materials). Averaging once a month, Vandweller A runs out of propane in the middle of cooking a meal/runs out of water in the middle of a spongebath/runs out of some supply necessitating a trip into town. Vandweller A is not careless, he closely watches his propane/water/supply usage and still runs out at an inoppertune time. He has to travel into town to finish cooking his meal/get the suds off of him/buy a critical supply that can't wait without measurable consequences; spending time and his fuel savings from carrying small quantities of the essentials, plus the increased cost-per-unit of the water/propane/other critical supply because he didn't buy in bulk or larger quantity/the gas station is the only store in town/the critical supply is out of stock here but a couple stores in the next town over have it (isn't this how everybody loves to live?).

Vandweller B doesn't obsess about every pound of moving weight, as long as the weight doesn't damage the vans drivetrain. He also doesn't obsess over every pint of fuel. He carries one propane tank with extra camping bottles, 7 gallons of water, 5 gallons of spare gas so he doesn't have to think about resupplying more than once a week. He carries what he likes without stressing over how much it weights, and he has no plans to tile the floor of the van with lead bricks. His furniture is made of wood, metal, fabrics and so on. Vandweller B carries an average of 800 pounds, plus himself at 150 pounds. Vandweller B is a smart saver, valuing money AND time. He works %10 more hours at his job so he doesn't have to work to stretch every dollar and squeeze %10 more monetary savings from life (law of diminishing returns). Vandweller A likes having extras/spares and backups to most of what he owns, where feasible and most effective. Due to carrying %10-30 more propane/water/supplies than Vandweller B thinks he needs; running out of propane in the middle of cooking a meal/running out of water in the middle of a spongebath/running out of some supply necessitating a trip into town happens at an average of once a year. Vandweller B is not careless, he watches his propane/water/supply usage and is able to stock accordingly and at a measurable monetary discount. Vandweller B can make less trips into town and has peace of mind knowing he has extra propane/water/supplies on hand; and can save by buying in bulk or larger quantities/at real grocery stores or WALMART/and can buy in the larger towns with better prices and more selection.

Vandweller A & B are identical twins; with same cravings, health, body weight and life desires. Their rigs are identical 15 MPG regular-top vans with the same set of amenities/luxuries and same layout. The only difference are their views on moving weight and fuel economy.

I hope this is a good window into how I think. If one saves %10 money cost on fuel by carrying less food, water, fuel and supplies but spends 25% more money cost on food, water, fuel and supplies because they have to restock more often and at higher prices one is not saving anything but is actually spending 15% more in money cost. And lets not forget to account for the time and stress cost!

What do they call how I think in the business world?

It feels great to have knocked out entire categories of acquisitions, don't need to buy any more A/C or tools for example. For me, things like never needing to buy another gas can or 5" carabiner clip indefinitely feels great. Sure I could "get by" with less of these things, but it brings me peace of mind to have backups and spares of most of the small stuff. The focus is tuning to the acquisition of a sizable sum of m-o-n-e-y, as money is f-r-e-e-d-o-m.

I can save over $1500 not going to EDC Las Vegas 2016 and visiting relatives in CANADA this year. Am I going to? HELL NO, as two months on the road this summer is living not existing.

I haven't even got to share with you how what is on the negative experience list compounds in my mind much like compounding interest (and it's much more than missing two Canadian summers, sweltering in Las Vegas, and Bob dying before I got to see him with Moms disgusting attitude to go with it).

Time for this wulf puppy boi to get 5 double-stack intermodal carloads of positive experiences this summer (10 53' shipping containers on 5 intermodal railcars on a North American double-stack intermodal train on a Class 1 railroad). 6 of those containers on a figurative Canadian Pacific manifest train on the Brooks Subdivision (railroad between Medicine Hat & Calgary, AB) in the Canadian summer. To counterweight the years of negative experiences and hurt this wulf puppy boi has been through.

c2f6fee2c4f7926c15a3a76ea5be920a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

A guy once told me......

"Take care of your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves"

That said, I have tried to do that and am still poor..................so, carry on and be happy.

A and B are fragments of your hallucination. 

Then there is Vandweller C.  He has 30 gallons of water, 30 gallons of gas, a scooter, 2 AC's, Generator, wood frame everything,  and $100 fuel budget.  He obsesses on luxuries and wants.  The world owes him a living.  He refuses to listen to anyone, because in his few years he knows it all.  He thinks that in 5 days he can raise enough money to support himself over the summer. 

Just remember that of all the people in the world, nobody loves you like your mother does. Try having a honest conversation with her. She made it possible for you to get the new van.  (and a few other details.) 

Lots of luck buddy   :)

debit.servus said:
I haven't even got to share with you how what is on the negative experience list compounds in my mind much like compounding interest (and it's much more than missing two Canadian summers, sweltering in Las Vegas, and Bob dying before I got to see him with Moms disgusting attitude to go with it).
*****************************************************************************************
TJB SEZ

Debit sometimes it takes me awhile to follow your train of thought and usually I can figure it out  {I Think}

However........ What in the world are you saying in the following paragraph :-/  
I can read it but what the heck does it mean?  Do I want to know :rolleyes: I'll wait and see before I decide.

******************************************************************************************
Time for this wulf puppy boi to get 5 double-stack intermodal carloads of positive experiences this summer (10 53' shipping containers on 5 intermodal railcars on a North American double-stack intermodal train on a Class 1 railroad). 6 of those containers on a figurative Canadian Pacific manifest train on the Brooks Subdivision (railroad between Medicine Hat & Calgary, AB) in the Canadian summer. To counterweight the years of negative experiences and hurt this wulf puppy boi has been through.

Milk Hauler said:
c2f6fee2c4f7926c15a3a76ea5be920a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

I    :heart: This... I  could eat popcorn while watching Queenie try and catch a cat without losing an eye in the process     :p                                              TJB

a furry puppy wulf poor boi??? what the whaaa

sorry to break this to ya but your a full grow man...

Gary68 said:
a furry puppy wulf poor boi??? what the whaaa

sorry to break this to ya but your a full grow man...

Potential meanings of boi: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boi

Potential meaning of furry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Potential meanings of poor: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/poor?s=t

@debit.servus, by continuing to use this terminology as part of explaining yourself, you're subjecting people to sensitive topics that a lot of folks explicitly wish to NOT know about, yet presenting it in such a way that makes them all curious without any warning that they could be squicked out by it. Where I come from that's considered highly unethical.

Also where I come from, people can have whatever complex identities they feel is true for themselves, and yet still manage to navigate society without flinging it in everyone's faces.

I suspect you are craving to be understood, and you feel perhaps by sharing this, if people on this forum knew these aspects of your identity, then they would understand. Instead, I recommend turning to communities that are already into these things you so strongly identify as for support in this area, and simply accept that no one here is likely to be able to grasp the complexity of everything you're going through.

FALCON said:
The term is "unemployable"
I mean how businesses measure the cost of moving weight and fuel economy plus consequences of not carrying something which wipes out fuel savings. this is a complex analysis, which I can't figure out myself (the formula let alone 'comprehensive' cost) Think of a food truck or mobile doggie bath which carries static weight (not couriers or dump trucks with dynamic weight), how do they calculate the cost of carrying something vs potential fuel savings/reduced fuel costs)??????????

Is there a web based calculator somewhere on the internet where you can enter the car you have, and see a graph that estimates fuel economy to carried weight? Lets settle this moving weight "myth" once and for all! 
gsfish said:
debit.servus  is a "Railfan". Someone that does to trains what birdwatchers do to birds. I'm guessing that this is a description of a memorable train sighting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railfan

I don't understand the attraction but I don't understand sports fans either. Ha!!
There was some controversy after 9/11 with Homeland Security. Railfaning was thought to be a potential cover for evildoers that wanted to attack rail infrastructure and also cause collateral damage.

Guy
Yes I am, and desire to railfan the heck out of the CP Brooks & Taber sub and other locations beyond. Infact my aunt Eva lives across the road from the mainline west of Redcliff; Her house is great railfan real estate.

Can see how there was controversy. I believe no rail terrorism has happened because the government probably needed a land-based transportation false flag...

Status
Not open for further replies.