2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van [split from 1986 Dodge B-250 ...]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debit.servus

Reaction score
This is the reason for the lack of progress on the DODGE van. Mom suggested that instead of repairing whatever is wrong with the transmission to instead look for another van. Here I am a month later sharing what is new...

Pre-Purchase:
Some big developments are going on in my life. Parents offered to buy me another van. I found one, consulted with mom, talk with the seller over the phone, got CARFAX on it, saw it in person yesteday afternoon, test drove. If (near certainly a when, hope it doesn't get sold before mom secures all the cash) I get this newer rig I will have to give up the one I have.

If you have feelings for the van (If I have my way I'd keep it, or tow it to Sunnyvale Trailer Park) now is your chance to get closure in and say goodbye.

Do not want to say much more because it is not a sure thing until I have the key(s) and he has the cash.

the potential new (to me) van is a 2001 FORD 1 ton van with 7.3L diesel engine with 18 MPG. If I get this rig the cost to fuel my (you can come along too if you like, have valid passport to get into Canada) Canadian summer is swallowable, especially with gas and diesel on it's 50% off sale.

--

Post-Purchase:
Some big developments are going on in my life. Parents offered to buy me another van. I found one, consulted with mom, talk with the seller over the phone, got CARFAX on it, saw it in person yesteday afternoon, test drove. Went up to San Francisco Saturday night with mom to make the sale, and drove home with the van. I now have a 2001 FORD van and one of the requirements for getting it is I will have to give up the 1986 DODGE. Which is not a bad deal considering this FORD van had major drivetrain work done so it can go 150,000 miles before needing major service again!

I have less than one month to remove everything from the DODGE and sell it/dispose of it. If anybody wants a 1986 DODGE B250 "Mechanics Special" extended and bubble-top van re-modeled for a Vandweller sans current California registration (couldn't pass California smog); it's going on the market very soon... I can bundle spare belts, and fluids specific to the DODGE as the FORD uses different oil, trans fluid, and belts (let me know if any of the belts can interchange) or sell them seperately.

If you have feelings for the van (If I had my way I'd keep it) now is your chance to ask for pictures inside to get closure in and say goodbye.

The new (to me) van is a 2001 FORD 1 ton van with 7.3L diesel engine with 18 MPG. The cost to fuel my Canadian summer is swallowable, because diesel on it's 50% off sale. Here are the posts regarding the listing of the van:
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Check-it-out-in-San-Francisco
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Still-for-sale-6000

That's right! The next van came from another Vandweller on this forum, with included accessories fully functional; 220 watts of solar on the roof, with charge controller in line to 2 AGM deep-cycle batteries, and a WAECO 43qt or so 12v compressor-based fridge/freezer cold inside 24/7 thanks to the solar! All this included with the van for a grand total of $5500!

As I would like to keep my lifes story all in one place, I ask the mods if they could rename this thread to "2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van (Formerly 1986 Dodge B-250 extended bubble-top van)"? Let me know if the title is too long so I can write a shorter version to fit.

What do people think of me having a newer rig?

This van is NOT in my name, think if it as a "Rent-to-own" deal between Me, Mom & Dad. Mom bought it for me and it will be in her name until I pay it off. $400 a month minimum payment, with no prepayment penalty. I am not allowed to do any maintenance on the van (need to have work done at a PROFESSIONAL shop), need to have insurance prepaid for six months at all times, and need to keep 1/2 a tank of diesel at all times which mom and dad can check at anytime.

Once I pay it off the van gets transferred into my name and I can do what I like with it. Can't afford to mess this deal up, as I don't have $5500 for a rig like this.

Going to get to modify the interior however, and have some ingenious ideas to implement.

Like this one:
I just bought 2 heater cores as I am looking to build a 55 gallon plastic drum version of https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Non-Evaporative-Swamp-Cooler. Since I don't obsess about moving weight or fuel economy, and have a 7.3L diesel engine in the FORD van, I can kill 2-4 birds with one stone by using a 55 gallon drum with the option to fill it to the brim. Use it as a freshwater tank, heatsink (or coldsink), and have a built in means to store enough water for a week on a alkali lakebed for Burning Man. Acquire a 12v marine pump for the pumping and re-circulation as the little fountain pumps don't cut it.

Greywater I haven't figured out yet. Thinking of a black metal bucket with fan attached for a greywater evaporating system. Or some kind of bubbling S-pipe system attached to the end of the exhaust (has to be fully removable and not alter the stock van as I don't own this rig yet). Where a gallon at a time of greywater goes into intestinally routed metal pipes and gets bubbled by hot exhaust gas to evaporate away. Cheaper would be to take an old muffler or two and have that be the evaporation medium. I don't want smell stinking graywater in this rig! Also, with the increased insurance & maintenance costs of this FORD van (since it's newer) there goes my RV tank dump money.

Regarding maintenance, are they going to audit that you are taking it in for the scheduled service? That's not really a bad thing: the FAA audits airlines (and even 4-seat rental planes) on their maintenance logs all the time.

congrats, I have been dropping hints to you to get a diesel over the wood gas. the Ford 7.3 is a great engine. good luck and keep us updated on your build out. highdesertranger

ascii_man said:
Regarding maintenance, are they going to audit that you are taking it in for the scheduled service?  That's not really a bad thing: the FAA audits airlines (and even 4-seat rental planes) on their maintenance logs all the time.
No audit, however if I or someone else is caught with a wrench under the van to work on something it would be a breach of contract I'm sure.
highdesertranger said:
congrats,  I have been dropping hints to you to get a diesel over the wood gas.  the Ford 7.3 is a great engine.  good luck and keep us updated on your build out.  highdesertranger
A diesel engine can run on woodgas with certain adjustments. The free or next-to-free Biodiesel party has been over for years, even if it party was still going on I would imagine used cooking oil would clog the injectors (this is a fuel injected engine, and I hear replacement injectors cost thousands). I saw a gallon of used motor oil next to someones recycling bin, so I imagine one can still pick up free substances to burn in their diesel engine.

Speaking of which, could a fuel injected diesel burn things like used motor oil, rancid or used cooking oil, used transmission fluid provided any solid particulates/water are filtered out? Or would they still clog the expensive fuel injectors and/or damage the fuel system?

One of the other big motivators for woodgas is being able to burn all the scrap wood piled in the backyard, and shed. Guess I will need to build a small rocket stove instead to burn that up.

Could the mods let me edit my first post so I can add a header for those new to this thread, as some people will be confused by the title describing one van with the first post describing a different one?

For greywater evaporating I just had an idea to keep it simple and cheap, take a 3" irrigation hose (or semi-rigid aluminum duct if plastic or vinyl hoses can't handle high heat), pipe it into an old BBQ propane tank I happen to have lying around (no longer can be used for propane) with another hole for the outlet. Basically the propane tank becomes a greywater bubbler tank to evaporate the greywater using the exhaust heat (this would be mounted outside of the van).

How many quarts of can be evaporated using just exhaust heat in an hour?

For greywater storage I am thinking of using the 10 gallon tank from the DODGE van and place it vertically next to the 55 gallon drum. 5/8th tube running from low barb fitting on the tank to just out of the side door to have the option to slowly jettison greywater onto the hot interstate this summer.

Love how people disparage evaporative cooling in the desert due to the fuel needed to haul the water.

Any tips on how to transfer over the RV furnace from the DODGE van? Unless there is a 12v thermostatically controlled propane or gasoline heater $300 or less.

I think you would be far better off just starting a new thread for the new van. Your old thread has a lot of baggage that turns people off ,so I believe new people would be much more inclined to read your new thread through.

Think of it as a new beginning with a new, blank slate.
Bob

I don't want to have multiple threads for the DODGE rig, the FORD rig, pics from the Canadian Summer, etc. It's much easier for me to have all the progress and beautiful experiences in one thread vs three. Is this OK?

:huh:  If this is wagoneers van I"m  gonna cry and find a tree...I already have some rope.....right after I kill a green eyed monster........I would add LOL but this ain't funny....Queenie sez RUFF.........tjb

debit.servus said:
That's right! The next van came from another Vandweller on this forum, with included accessories fully functional; 220 watts of solar on the roof, with charge controller in line to 2 AGM deep-cycle batteries, and a WAECO 43qt or so 12v compressor-based fridge/freezer cold inside 24/7 thanks to the solar! All this included with the van for a grand total of $5500!  

As I would like to keep my lifes story all in one place, I ask the mods if they could rename this thread to "2001 Ford E350 Extended High-top van (Formerly 1986 Dodge B-250 extended bubble-top van)"? Let me know if the title is too long so I can write a shorter version to fit.

What do people think of me having a newer rig?

This new van sounds like a really nice one.  It also sounds like except for doing your interior,,,bed...storage....galley area etc. it's about ready to roll. Maybe it will be a lot safer than the Dodge. 

I think you ought to start a new thread on your F350 it might be less confusing? 

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW WHEELS........Texas Jaybird

debit.servus said:
I don't want to have multiple threads for the DODGE rig, the FORD rig, pics from the Canadian Summer, etc. It's much easier for me to have all the progress and beautiful experiences in one thread vs three. Is this OK?

I think you should keep your future postings to a single thread, but it's time for a new one.

Personally, I definitely don't think "progress" or "beautiful experiences" when I think of this thread. And it will still be here if you get an obsessive fan who cares about your backstory.

The proprietor has made a good suggestion. It's sometimes a good idea to go along with a suggestion from your host or superior just to be seen as agreeable.

Low Tech needs to chime in about running on used motor oil and used trans fluid, that's his primary fuel source. Debit I think you are missing the point of a new thread for the Ford. the Dodge is done, DOA. the Ford is born, it's new. it deserves it own thread. highdesertranger

debit.servus said:
For greywater evaporating I just had an idea to keep it simple and cheap, take a 3" irrigation hose (or semi-rigid aluminum duct if plastic or vinyl hoses can't handle high heat), pipe it into an old BBQ propane tank I happen to have lying around (no longer can be used for propane) with another hole for the outlet. Basically the propane tank becomes a greywater bubbler tank to evaporate the greywater using the exhaust heat (this would be mounted outside of the van).

How many quarts of can be evaporated using just exhaust heat in an hour?

For greywater storage I am thinking of using the 10 gallon tank from the DODGE van and place it vertically next to the 55 gallon drum. 5/8th tube running from low barb fitting on the tank to just out of the side door to have the option to slowly jettison greywater onto the hot interstate this summer.

Love how people disparage evaporative cooling in the desert due to the fuel needed to haul the water.

Any tips on how to transfer over the RV furnace from the DODGE van? Unless there is a 12v thermostatically controlled propane or gasoline heater $300 or less.

How are you going to transfer the RV furnace over if your parents don't allow you to modify the van? I can see their perspective; they've financed it for you and they want to see you take care of it before the value of the investment is affected (read: botched modifications, poor boi stops paying after).

I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to spray gray water on your exhaust and boil it off. I know it's been done but those systems never took off as widely practical. You'd just be dumping on the road if you were trying to move any real volume. When would you ever be running the engine for that long? Have you ever actually built any of these strange systems you keep talking about?

This is a great opportunity they've given you. Treat it well and keep up with your new job.

Definitely should start a new thread. You never want to carry old baggage with you when you begin a new. Clean slate all around. Otherwise you're just transferring negative energy into your new build.

Tjaybird said:
 I think you ought to start a new thread on your F350 it might be less confusing? 

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW WHEELS........Texas Jaybird

ascii_man said:
I think you should keep your future postings to a single thread, but it's time for a new one.

Personally, I definitely don't think "progress" or "beautiful experiences" when I think of this thread.  And it will still be here if you get an obsessive fan who cares about your backstory.

The proprietor has made a good suggestion.  It's sometimes a good idea to go along with a suggestion from your host or superior just to be seen as agreeable.

highdesertranger said:
Debit I think you are missing the point of a new thread for the Ford.  the Dodge is done,  DOA.  the Ford is born,  it's new. it deserves it own thread.  highdesertranger

Every Road Leads Home said:
Definitely should start a new thread.  You never want to carry old baggage with you when you begin a new.  Clean slate all around.  Otherwise you're just transferring negative energy into your new build.
Bob, can you split this thread with all posts pertaining to the FORD moved to the new thread; keep all posts here relating to the DODGE van and rename THIS thread back to "1986 Dodge B-250 extended bubble-top van for an unconventional guy "?

I just don't want to think about water every day! Freshwater fill with 55 gallons and don't think about it until the barrel sounds empty. Greywater slow jettison while on the road, in summer flies onto hot interstate and evaporates before touching dirt.

Have a propane torch that puts out a 1000 degree flame, is advertised to boil snow and burn weeds. Entertaining the idea to take 30 minutes and a 5 gallon metal bucket with 3 gallons of greywater at a time, point the over 1000 degree flame to it and burn away all the greywater. Of course the cost of time and the propane burned will need to be weighed against the cost to dump the greywater at an RV park.

Planning on going a lot of miles in this rig, especially if I can fuel it cheaply with burnable substances that burn without clogging expensive injectors or needing any mods to the fuel system! Not counting on this as I know the free or next-to-free biodiesel grease party is over!

I just recieved the NMF Ionic Friction Reducer, going to test it out today...

just use a dump station, save a lot of headache and the cost of building that system. highdesertranger

debit.servus said:
Have a propane torch that puts out a 1000 degree flame, is advertised to boil snow and burn weeds. Entertaining the idea to....

You're that eager to set your new van on fire too?

TMG51 said:
You're that eager to set your new van on fire too?

If I go the torch route it would be done in an open space, far from the van at least 5 feet from any combustables, and not in a dry forest, desert or city. With fire extinguisher ready.

Don't want to pay $7 or more to dump 10 gallons of greywater. I would rather invest in a greywater boiler system that utilizes the waste heat from the exhaust, and is fully removable as the FORD van is not in my name yet. Thinking of taking the 4" semi-rigid aluminum duct, a propane tank with a 3" PVC pipe fitted through the core of the tank to 1-2" to the bottom and two outlet holes big enough to not constrict the exhaust. The hot exhaust gases bubble the greywater in the tank, and the greywater steam leaves the tank through the holes next the the PVC pipe. The tank can hold 3-4 gallons of greywater at a time, making for less frequent loading. No extra energy is used to evaporate the greywater and the enviroment is unharmed. The exhaust is unaltered and after my Canadian summer it will look to mom and dad as nothing ever happened. Perhaps route the sink drain to the boiler as I plan to be on the move every single day.

It might even help with the vans "emmissions" acting as a particulate filter for the exhaust.

OR Perhaps invest in an 8 gallon Reliance Hydroller to dump greywater in unattended gas station & rest stop restrooms, pouring the greywater down the toilet. Average cost per dump: 10-15 minutes of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.