Innocuousness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ Oh that's too wild! But I could see it happening... I guess there must be one in every neighborhood.

I think it’s good that the neighbors were alert enough to grill you while you were care taking a property. I wish my neighbors would be so vigilant

I was once in a town about 30 miles down river from me and chanced to meet this guy in front of the Library there.  He had a white Dodge Van with ladder racks on top.  It wasn't a high top.   I asked if he was living out of it and he hesitated to answer.  I quickly told him about my Van and how I could travel and live out of it and so on and he opened up.  

Yes, he was and opened it up to show me his outfit.  Much like my first Van.

What I noticed he had on top toward the front was a yellow flashing light.   (about 10 inches tall and 7 inches in diameter)  When I asked him about it he said it gave an official look to the vehicle and most people didn't question it. Figuring it was official.  The van looked like it could be a service vehicle as it was clean, well kept, and just bland.  I noticed he was clean cut and wearing what looked like work uniform type clothing. 

In the couple minutes I spoke with him I could see that this was his way to roll.  I didn't ask any questions of him but did tell him about the CRVL forum.

Here's how to NOT be innocuous....

I was in a Cabela's lot last night. Had the whole place to myself--till some dimbulb in an RV parked just a couple spots away from me and proceeded to run his generator all night.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Cammalu said:
I think it’s good that the neighbors were alert enough to grill you while you were care taking a property. I wish my neighbors would be so vigilant

If you were talking to me here, I agree.  The guy apologized to me later once he got to know me and understand, and I turned it back on him and said no need for apologies: I'm glad that this neighborhood has people who watch out for each other, and I think it's a good thing.  I didn't take it personally at all.

On the other hand, it isn't always benevolent, of course.  This guy was big, rough, and intimidating, but I'm fine with that if it chases away no-goodniks.

I like the "Seen and not care" ideal. Thanks for that Noodley. I have been operating like that for years in stick and brick life. It makes me feel more optimistic knowing I already have a useful skill for vanliving

Some people suggest parking in residential areas. I have done it a few times but never felt comfortable. There is almost always somebody around with the time to just watch the neighborhood. Even when just visiting a friend in my car, I usually notice someone noticing me. I always sleep better in Wawa or Walmart lots.

if I park in a neighborhood for overnight sleeping I try to find a spot where no one has windows facing me. Those spots tend to be near an intersection where there are side yards with board fences rather than front yards.

Stealth is overrated. I have a disco ball in the back and I'm thinking about getting one as a bubbletop.

Last winter I noticed all the road equipment parked for the evening all huddled up. So I started to overnight there. I did it 3 times. I liked parking next to water trucks. Help concealed me. I also have a large yellow beacon on the top front. When I travel long distance I usually get up early and head out about 4:00 and 4:30. The third time I slept later. I had just finished making coffee and was going to head out and I got a knock on the window. It was a equipment operator asking me if I was the ground density tester or something like that. I told him no I am the fleet service mechanic and my supervisor sent me to the wrong site. I am finishing my coffee and heading out to fix the density testers vehicle. I said she wasn't as mad as usual about breaking down.  He goes Shelly? I said yeah. He said she is usually scowling and doesn't say 2 words. I said she has been walking on air lately because she is getting remarried this weekend. He said today is Cecil's Birthday and his wife brings a huge B-day cake around 10:00 and everyone takes a break for cake. He went on to say that they would give her a piece and congratulate her on her upcoming wedding. I said she would love that. I was about to fall out of the car seat, so I wrapped it up and told him I must get to the broken truck. As I pulled passed him I Yelled out the window "Be sure to tell Shelly Donald says Hi?  My name isn't Donald.   

Alas I cannot do that this year with me Bike rack on the back. :dodgy:

There is no such thing as stealth. I agree to keep a low profile and be quiet and respectful but people notice the van parked out front that no one stopped out of. I stopped caring after a couple years and I don't care who looks or knows. Including the police. But if they want to mess with me I sure could use that settlement check. Also, the conversations I hear while parked on street are super interesting. Also, I never knew how many jerks out there bump into vehicles when parking. I get a good jolt while camping on a regular basis. I'm a city dweller though. I over heard some government nerd trying to get me busted for something the other week. He was on the phone talking about trying to get me for not having a highway occupancy permit but then gave up and said something to the effect that "we are out of options" this isn't because I'm an inconsiderate neighbor. It's because I'm suing the local sheriffs department and the presiding judge at the county courthouse. So they are on my butt trying to find something to bust me for to cover their butts.

Maybe you can park at the courthouse or police station parking lots, wonder if they are 24 hour lots? LOL!!!

I parked adjacent to the courthouse and drank a 12 pack the other week. I giggled inside.

The courthouse and police station are,public property....and you can't be trespassed from public property unless you are doing something illegal. I'd have to look into it a little more but I'm willing to bet police stations and courthouses are fair game

bullfrog said:
Maybe you can park at the courthouse or police station parking lots, wonder if they are 24 hour lots?  LOL!!!

Back in the day...  I actually had a gal contact dispatch saying she was traveling and asked if she could stay over night in the PD parking lot.  As graveyard watch commander dispatch messaged to ask me if that would be Ok.  Of course it was all good... would much rather have her there safely parked in the PD lot rather than somewhere out in the ghetto we worked, where she might be victimized.  You'd be surprised... more than not PD can be empathetic and friendly...

Meh, people who look for trouble usually find it.

I prefer to spend my night sleeping, rather than arguing with cops.

"I prefer to spend my night sleeping, rather than arguing with cops."

I won't argue...but I will demand to be frisked...I know my rights, LOL!

If it's that much of a hassle just pay for a campsite and get a good night's sleep.If someone wants to live under the radar,they should be out in the boonies,not in town.

For me, I been working downtown the last 3 months in a city doing construction. Planet fitness is 5 minutes away. After the gym I find a spot to park to get ready for work the next day. Work 6 days a week. Maybe the next job site will be in the boonies.