Inline 6 Engine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigi

Reaction score
I'm still looking for (and learning) about vans.  I am really sure I want a V6 engine but found a  van that has a 6-inline engine.  Does anyone have any history with a Inline 6 and how it compares?  What was your performance?  Thank you for any and all suggestions and opinions! 

Also, out of curiosity how many miles on the odometer would make it a deal breaker for you...if it would make it a deal breaker.  

Gigi

there have been some great inline 6 cylinders over the years, Dodge had a slant six that was legendary, Ford had the 300 which is also legendary and GM had the 235 and the 292 which were both great engines. I have a 292 straight six in my Kurbmaster and it has been flawless. all these are easy to rebuild most have a lot of room under the hood to get at parts. I rebuilt a inline six in a Ford pickup not sure of the size but not the 300, it was relatively easy to access, and easy to rebuild. The other good thing about these engines is that there were so many of them and they were made for so many years that a lot of the parts are relatively inexpensive and readily available with interchangeable parts with other engines by the same manufacturer. However in my experience most of these when in a truck or van are not fuel savers over a small V8 and usually have less power but if you are not in a hurry, nothing wrong with them, proven reliable engines not sure why they stopped making them, my guess is weight but not sure.

Gigi said:
I'm still looking for (and learning) about vans.  I am really sure I want a V6 engine but found a  van that has a 6-inline engine.  Does anyone have any history with a Inline 6 and how it compares?  What was your performance?  Thank you for any and all suggestions and opinions! 

Also, out of curiosity how many miles on the odometer would make it a deal breaker for you...if it would make it a deal breaker.  

Gigi
hello,  i've had 4 inline  ford 6cyl vehicles.  they were in a 1961 comet with a 144ci inline 6cy, 1969 ford p.u., 1973 ford p.u., and 1993 ford p.u. all with the 300ci & no problem pulling mid-sized travel trailers, 14ft bass boat, and loaded 12ft flat bed trailer... [ not at the same time!]...  lol...  with the pick up trucks.  with the exception of pulling the boat, the trucks and trailers were loaded with some of the trips being 1,000 milers.  i just don't know about the vans  but i like the inline 300ci when it has the right gears behind it to pull a load.  but what do i  know,  i'm just a girl.     ;)   happy huntin'   texas jaybird

Had an inline 6 Jeep... one of the last of the breed before that engine was discontinued. Sorry, I don't have van-specific details to offer, but it was always a good engine to me. Took that Jeep in the woods and on long trips and never had issues that I couldn't fix with hand tools.

Gigi said:

Gigi

To be specific, what motor?

I drove and serviced my Dad's 1986 Ford E150 with the 300 cu. in. straight 6 motor - good motor, but it has it's quirks.  Mileage was 16MPG highway or city.  Comparable to a small 302 V8.  Better low speed power and torque than the 302 V8 - it's a truck motor.  Servicing could be a bear.  The aircleaner was very difficult to reach for my big hands, right under the base of the windshield.  A couple spark plugs weren't easy to reach either.
But it was a breeze compared to the sideways V6 in my GC minivan.  Newer vehicles begin with the motor on the frame, then build all else around it......

The ford 300 straight six (aka 4.9L I6) is quite possibly the most reliable light truck gas engine ever made.  The same block was also sold in a 240 cubic inch version n the 1960's.  It is a very strong block that supports the crankshaft with 7 main bearings.  Very good torque.

Other than the 4.3L vortec v6 that can be found in GM trucks and vans there are not a lot of v6 engines that I would recommend.  Especially in the years of vans and light trucks that are relatively affordable to folks of modest means due that the fact that they are older model years.

There are many very reliable gas inline 4's, 6's & v8's.  Strangely enough, there are a number v6's that have reliability issues.  Most common are head and head gasket issues.  The Toyota 3.0L v6 is famous for the head gasket & head failure issues.

Ahhh. The inline 6. All the fuel mileage of a V-8 with the power of a 6. lol. It isn't quite that simple. I had a truck for logging that had the 300 inline and while it was a great engine, it compare to a V-8 in fuel mileage but not in power. I would totally do a 300 inline in a Bronco, but not in a truck pulling a large trailer or with a truck camper.

I prefer having a V-8 for my needs, but if I found a good vehicle and it had the 300 inline, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. Having that reliability and the other benefits would outweigh me having to drive a little slower on the freeway and on the hills.

The Ford inline is easy to work on and has tons of parts available- that is a huge plus for me when looking at older vehicles. When you start going above 200,000 miles in any gas engine, it is about done for. Of course there are many exceptions, but that is what they are- exceptions.

GotSmart said:
To be specific, what motor?

I have a huge learning curve in front of me.  Please don't laugh or give up on me!!! :blush:  I'm not sure I even know how to answer that question.  I'm trying really hard to learn about all this but it's really uncharted territory for me.  Okay so it's a Ford e250 Van.  Does that help?  

BUT all your answers and googling are helping me a bunch so thank you.  

Along those lines if any of you can point me to a book or website or something that will slowly teach me some fundamentals on engines and motors and such I'd appreciate that.  I'm not playing the sex card BUT I was born female and sadly never thought these things were important..Now I do and I want to learn.    :heart:

Most most most humbly,
Gigi

Gigi said:
I have a huge learning curve in front of me.  Please don't laugh or give up on me!!! :blush:  I'm not sure I even know how to answer that question.  I'm trying really hard to learn about all this but it's really uncharted territory for me.  Okay so it's a Ford e250 Van.  Does that help?  

BUT all your answers and googling are helping me a bunch so thank you.  

Along those lines if any of you can point me to a book or website or something that will slowly teach me some fundamentals on engines and motors and such I'd appreciate that.  I'm not playing the sex card BUT I was born female and sadly never thought these things were important..Now I do and I want to learn.    :heart:

Most most most humbly,
Gigi

Being female has nothing to do with it.  It is what you were taught.  (or not taught) 

OK, you mentioned what it is in A Ford E250 van.  What motor is it?  What year?  That makes a difference.

GotSmart said:
Being female has nothing to do with it. 

Sadly, not being taught has everything to do with it but not with learning it now.  :)

If you check Wiki for a particular make and model van (like "Ford E150"), it will tell which engines were used for each generation or year range.  Usually only one straight six for each year range.

LeeRevell said:
If you check Wiki for a particular make and model van (like "Ford E150"), it will tell which engines were used for each generation or year range.  Usually only one straight six for each year range.

I will do that now! Thank you LeeRevell.

Gigi

E250 will be a 300 inline. Great motor. Worth getting it.

An inline 6 has mathematical properties which make it inherently smooth and balanced. V6's seem to have taken over due to more efficient packaging and the fact that dumb consumers think they are more similar to a "V8" because both start with "V". Personally, I'm a little sad that I'm unlikely to ever own an I6 (aka straight-6).

ascii_man said:
An inline 6 has mathematical properties which make it inherently smooth and balanced.  V6's seem to have taken over due to more efficient packaging and the fact that dumb consumers think they are more similar to a "V8" because both start with "V".  Personally, I'm a little sad that I'm unlikely to ever own an I6 (aka straight-6).

I was reading just that very thing last night about the pitch and yaw cancel to balance it all out.  I have NO idea what a pitch or a yaw is....yet! ha!  Thank you ascii-man--you never know, a I6 might just land in your lap one day!  

Gigi

ZoNiE said:
E250 will be a 300 inline. Great motor. Worth getting it.

Thank you for the motor info. That gives me confidence with what I've been learning. The man who is selling told me that the motor is really awesome and strong still.  Thank you Zonie!  

Gigi

Gigi said:
I was reading just that very thing last night about the pitch and yaw cancel to balance it all out.  I have NO idea what a pitch or a yaw is....yet! ha!  Thank you ascii-man--you never know, a I6 might just land in your lap one day!  

Gigi

Pitcy & yaw apply to ground vehicle, but are common in aviation:
Yaw_Axis_Corrected.svg

When you slam on the brakes, your car pitches forward.
If you're in an SUV and have a rollover, that's roll.
If the tail of your car skids sideways in a turn, that's yaw.