Inflatable camp bed vs. foam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure if you can get 2 years out of thin mattresses you are doing great. This expense should fall into the category of an item that will wear itself out and need replacing every couple of years. Otherwise you need to invest in a good quality mattress that will last about 5 years.

SheepDog said:
I’ve had http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm make me several mattresses!  

He has been able to do what I’ve needed so far.  He ask a bit about what it will be used for and a bit about you and your sleeping habits.
Thanks for that. I called him a couple weeks ago and ordered a 30" x 74 1/2" mattress to fit my bed frame. We probably talked for close to ten minutes. Good personal touch.
The mattress showed up yesterday. It's a very high quality mattress. I ordered the 1.9 density 5" with the 2 1/2" bamboo top. I like a mattress with some give. Also, I can sit on it without hitting my head on the ceiling of my low top van. That was a must.

I've been sleeping on my couch for over 20 years and the 30" width is the same as the cushions on the couch.
Cost was about 200. plus shipping. I could have spent a lot less but I have a sleeping disorder and I don't need a mattress that will make it worse.

OkieDreamer said:
I have a 6" single bed regular foam mattress that is at least 50 years old and I sleep on it nightly on top of my regular mattress. It spent most of it's life rolled up in the attic of a boat house and thrown in a storage shed later in it's life. I slept on it when I was a teenager on top of plywood and I slept well and I am a side sleeper. I could be different foam, looks like regular yellowish foam to me and it is fine and quite comfy FWIW.  Anything that inflates can deflate IMO, foam is pretty tough. I haven't tried memory foam

sounds like natural latex rubber foam. The newer chemically based foam types won't last that many year.

I vote for the latex foam.  Personally, I hate memory foam because it makes a hollow that you have to pull yourself out of.  It's definitely not good for people who toss and turn.  But genuine, natural latex foam is not like that and is comfy.  As for firmness, you should read this post that explains the difference between the Dunlop and Talalay processes used to make latex foam.  About halfway down the page, they mention firmness, springiness, etc.  I visited their site just the other day and was impressed. I will probably buy theirs when I am ready.

https://sleeponlatex.com/blogs/news/7845413-dunlop-vs-talalay-latex-foam

I have nothing against air mattresses, as I find them comfy, but the one I had used to leak air slowly all night -  by the time morning came, it was quite deflated.  Did you see the complaints from people who bought the one you linked to?  A few reviewers had problems with the valve. It doesn't sound so great to me.

So that's my two dinars. Good luck with whichever one you choose!

Another option could be a truckers innerspring mattress they make them in lots of different sizes if you want a link let me know and I'll look the one I bought up and post a link peices are $150

maki2 said:
I figure if you can get 2 years out of thin mattresses you are doing great. This expense should fall into the category of an item that will wear itself out and need replacing every couple of years. Otherwise you need to invest in a good quality mattress that will last about 5 years.

Yeah, the way I see things, my bed is the most important thing in my van. So I didn't cut corners. I bought a proper 8-inch thick standard foam mattress and added a 4-inch memory foam topper. There's a cotton pad on top of that. After six years there's a bit of a sag in the middle, but I still have plenty of cushion. I doubt I'll ever bottom out on that thing.

Latest posts