cooling layer for my bed??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegregg

Reaction score
i'm trying to get a bed together. currently it's: from bottom to top: thick, old sleeping bag, thermarest 1 1/4", thermarest car camping pad 3", a synthetic duvet, doubled over, this is a layer for softness, sheet, me, down comforter.

the synthetic duvet is for comfort, but it's kind of hot and i sweat where my body sinks into it, and my thermarest. is there any layer i can add that is a cooling layer, to let air thru?

i currently dismantle my bed daily, and air out the duvet i sleep on, . it traps moisture.

this setup is not ideal - it's not soft enough. i've thought of memory foam, but heard it's very hot - and smells. i'm wondering about some sort of soft foam, 1 to 2" ---- these are just other ideas for greater softness, which i need.

but all involve trapping body moisture....... it would be nice to have a layer that lets air kind of uh... ventilate.

i'm 'testing' this in my home. i'm getting pretty mediocre sleep, so far. better here than on the road, i say.

thank you!

i thought about my post, and maybe the synthetic duvet is not a good 'soft' layer. i sink into it, and it probably traps moisture due to that. it's also too thin and/or too soft.

open to suggestions... i'm thinking of just standard foam... 1 to 2"... which would be on top of my other layers... maybe that would be cool enuf.

We have a 2" soft (20 ILD) latex topper in a cotton cover from Sleep on Latex on top of our bed, which is made up of layers of various foams.  I think it is cooler to sleep on than other surfaces, and I tend to sleep very warm.  It definitely does not retain odors like polyurethane foam does.  On the downside, it is heavy and cost around $130.

VanFan said:
We have a 2" soft (20 ILD) latex topper in a cotton cover from Sleep on Latex on top of our bed, which is made up of layers of various foams.  I think it is cooler to sleep on than other surfaces, and I tend to sleep very warm.  It definitely does not retain odors like polyurethane foam does.  On the downside, it is heavy and cost around $130.
so - it sounds like you've combined various foams, like i've combined various thermarests, etc, and you're comfortable? and i wondered how long you've had your latex?  and i'm older (65) and kind of stiff --- wondering if you are older also, or young and able to do cartwheels.....

tysm, and happy sleeping!

I have always thought memory foam was cold, and I sleep cold. I own 2 memory foams one in the van and one in the S&B. Both are encased in washable protective coverings.

What I really like is the bamboo pillow I bought for the van. Really nice.
-crofter

decided on latex topper.... 3". i tried an egg crate, but it seemed hot and not very comfortable, though light. latex felt good, not too hot, at least in the store. it'll go on top of my two thermarests, or something like that.

i felt i needed a top layer that was soft to support the contours of my body... i'm older, and it (my body) don't bend like it used to.

A self inflating air mattress. But not the type that have insulating foam inside of it. Air mattresses are notoriously cold to sleep on.But you will want a thin mattress pad under you to absorb your bodies natural perspiration. So just a thin mattress pad, not a thick, fluffy one. Thin pad also means you wont have such a bulky load of bedding to wash.

i've never had a mattress topper before. but my current plan is a combination of the 3" of latex topper, then one or two self inflating thermarests... one of them, 3"...  i'll check on a simple mattress pad... good idea....

Your talking about the old self inflating from years past I presume. Mine never did really self inflate. I’ve used the newer version Thermarest for a number of years. Wouldn’t suggest... noisy and actually kinda sticky when it’s hot. And a regular bed sheet seemed to make it more bearable to sleep on when it’s hot. I use a sleeping bag and the nylon on my go to bag isn’t to bad to sleep on top when it’s hot. If I’m hot and sweaty going to bed I’d do a sponge bath with cool water first... if I can’t take a swim.

NctryBen said:
Your talking about the old self inflating from years past I presume. Mine never did really self inflate. I’ve used the newer version Thermarest for a number of years. Wouldn’t suggest... noisy and actually kinda sticky when it’s hot. And a regular bed sheet seemed to make it more bearable to sleep on when it’s hot. I use a sleeping bag and the nylon on my go to bag isn’t to bad to sleep on top when it’s hot. If I’m hot and sweaty going to bed I’d do a sponge bath with cool water first... if I can’t take a swim.
it seems ok... the thermarests are beneath my latex topper. actually, it seems perfectly fine! i spent my first night on it. i've never slept on latex before, and not much on foam either. i'm really particular, but the latex is pretty good. it wasn't hot either, but it's still spring in california... 

but i did need something a LOT softer than the thermarest, even tho mine is a car camper model, the 3" luxury map. my 3 1'2" rei super plush model developed a leak, which i could never find. i'll toss that now. no sense keeping a busted plushie around. i like that the thermarest offers repair services, which seem very reasonable...... never noticed noise from my self inflating guys......... they're not crinkly or anything like i'd imagine an air mattess would be

doublegregg said:
so - it sounds like you've combined various foams, like i've combined various thermarests, etc, and you're comfortable? and i wondered how long you've had your latex?  and i'm older (65) and kind of stiff --- wondering if you are older also, or young and able to do cartwheels.....
Sorry to be so long in answering.  I've had the topper since January 2020.  We are "old-ish," have cranky hips, and are extremely picky.  (I could probably do cartwheels--but really shouldn't.)  Yes, we sleep on layers, and are about 95% happy with the current combination, after years of trying different things.  Latex is new to us, too, but I really like it.  Foam can be surprisingly hard to understand:  density and firmness are not the same thing, and thickness can really change the characteristic of any foam (i.e., an extra inch can make it feel much harder, which may seem backward).  Ventilation underneath is very important with foam, too.

The advice I recall from years ago (courtesy of Jim Foreman), was to have a layer of high-density foam, a layer of "regular" foam, and a layer of convoluted (egg crate).  For us, the challenge has been finding a base layer that doesn't develop divets after a few months of heavy use, but isn't too hard.  What we have now is just a tiny bit hard.  Also, I found that after summer use, the egg crates were the cause of a "funky van smell," and had to be replaced.  With latex on top, that has not been an issue.  I love the feel of it:  soft, but supportive and resilient.  Unlike memory foam, it is easy to move around on, too.

I hope you find a good combination for your needs.  Van sleep is the best, IMO.

ty van fan....  so far, the latex seems very good.... kind of pricey, but i needed something for a good night's sleep. it seems to fit the bill.  and if one of my two thermarests pops a leak, i'll just replace that layer, but it won't be a sudden disaster, with my latex on top. i'm using 3"