2in foam mattress firm enough for side sleeper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I had a 2” medium softness memory foam pad and a 3” firm eggcrate foam pad that I stacked (eggcrate on bottom) and slept perfectly on. This was on wood, I did this for about 1.5 years. I was about 200lbs and very lean, so not much ‘natural padding’. I would have stayed with that for longer, but I met a girl. You know. I’m a side sleeper and I normally like a very firm mattress if I’m in a bed.

I would set my sleeping bag on top, and in the morning I’d roll the entire thing up and put 2 cinch belts on it. Took up very little room in my car when rolled up. Before that I had used a single futon mattress which was great, but it was so big even when folded up that it took too much room in my converted hyundai accent hatchback.

Doing it again I would go with the double foam pads again, get a roof rack and a cargo container for on top of the car, and put my bedroll in there to save room in the car. Hope that helps, and safe travels to you!