Inexpensive, compact battery charger?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, that vendor created (or likely spec'd from an OEM) that charger to suit their AGM batteries.

The bulk & absorption is 14.4 - 14.7V, and float at 13.8V.

So first thing is to check the charging voltages spec'd for the batteries it will be charging, since this doesn't allow you to manually set them, they need to match.

Also, AGM acceptance rate is usually higher/faster than FLA. You're using the latter right?

And that charger may or may not actually produce 20A, same with other quality issues, but maybe this unit is a true bargain, no way to tell without testing.

Personally with a 200AH FLA bank regularly being drawn down to near 50%, 30A actual proven continuous output (as opposed to what's on a marketing sticker) would be minimum, 40A probably worth the extra.

Nice thing about flooded, you can test things out with your hydrometer, upgrade quickly once you find the cheaper one's not enough.

With most (all decent) controller electronics, no need to disconnect while shore charging, but the solar input will be much less than the AC charger.

galladanb said:
And yes, 6 to 10 hours at an overnight plug in...? Maybe longer?

The longer you're there the more likely the lower ampage will be OK.

And lots of solar input of course helps, even more so if these charge sources are feeding while your loads are on, preventing your bank from being drawn down too much, that coupled with frequent 100% full will get many years from a quality bank.

OK, so Thx! I was going to ask how you got your numbers on the rates, but now I see the devil is in the details!

Do you have an amazon link for a charger that will meet all of your requirements?
Not to challenge you, but wanting to honor your suggestions?

And curious, do any of these chargers have adjustable charge points so we can custom tailor to
whatever one might buy vs a generic setting, that is one that is pre-set?

Just google Sterling

Victron

ProMariner

and "battery charger"

Not necessarily Amazon, go with reputable Marine suppliers like Defender and Bay Marine Supply, I think Alan might even sell through eBay and Amazon too, but contact them directly first to clarify your needs.

Could also contact the manufacturer and get a referral to a local dealer.

I also like to spend my money with people that contribute to our learning in the forums, see what Maine Sail sells.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

also ​Bruce Schwab / Ocean Planet wouldn't steer you wrong.

Pretty sure Sterling lets you set custom voltages I know their B2B DCDC units do, Victron likely as well.

Found in my notes from Maine Sail

ProMariner ProNautic P and Sterling ProCharge Ultra chargers are excellent chargers, these DO have a custom program feature.

Victron does in their BlueSolar MPPT solar controllers, apparently not with their AC-DC line.

mayble said:
Big picture:  I'm looking for inexpensive, simple to understand and simple to operate components as I build and learn to maintain a portable 12v power bank.  

I fully expect to destroy batteries in the process, so I intend to pick up a cheap marine battery to start with.  Nothing in this system is intended to be permanent, or to power critical life-support systems.  I just want to learn to use and maintain a system before I go off grid and have to depend on it.
I suspect I'll just have to muddle along and learn from my mistakes as I go.  I was just hoping to skip a couple obvious ones.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]We are way off-topic. Did you guys read the name of this thread? Did you read her question? READ IT AGAIN![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You are showing off your excellent knowledge but doing nothing to help the original poster. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In fact you are only confusing her and making her life more difficult. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]We're here to be helpful, NOT SHOW OFF HOW SMART WE ARE. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Can anyone help this lady find the best cheap battery charger? She understands that will probably be harmful to the battery in the long run but she has to live with that in her circumstances.[/font]

There have been several recommendations over 15A for under $100. Maybe good enough for OP's purpose in learning, even if not ideal for production use.

Searching Amazon and googling forums will get additional info and feedback.

The chargers voltage profile does need to match the battery chemistry, so can't really get more specific without those details. Decide on the battery first, that will help narrow down the charger.

Great, at least specs look good and well reviewed, one specifically comparing favorably to Schumacher.

And usually sells for $35+ more, so may have quality internals and last awhile, nice and compact as you want.

The docs don't spec the voltage level for the different selectable battery types, so that would be useful information for the thread if you have a multimeter.

Don't necessarily go be those type categories, the actual voltage can depend on a particular manufacturer, for example some expensive AGM will last longer if they expect the more gentle voltage output corresponding to the GEL setting, while others may want as high/fast as possible, perhaps from the "spiral" (Optima Yellowtop) setting.

Look forward to hearing from you about your (hopefully all good!) experiences.

The first question is how do you intend to charge your battery? If for instance you plan to do weekend trips and then plug in your charger when you get home and let it charge for a few days before your next trip, you can use something as inexpensive as a basic Battery Tender (cost around $30).  It may take a couple days to fully recharge your battery, but if you are not in a hurry it will do the job.   If you find you want something faster in the future, the Tender can always be used to keep the battery in a car or motorcycle fully charged if the vehicle it is not used very often.