I'm going to create a vandwelling "simulator"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
My latest wacky plan for my pre-vandwelling "education year" is to create a kind of simulator in my apartment. 

My dining area gives me approximately the same amount of cubic space as the back of a van or utility trailer, so I'm going to mark off the rough dimensions in tape and set the area up like I plan to do with the van interior. This will allow me to try various layouts and generally get used to the idea of sitting/lounging/sleeping in a smaller space. I'll start purchasing the items I intend to use in the van and try them out in my "simulator." By the time I'm ready to move into the actual van, I think I'll feel that much more comfortable with the routine.

Hey, it works for astronauts....

I considered doing this in my basement, but need to clear some pace first. Once the weather warms up we'll start purging all of our junk.
We also plan to do the same thing with our food budget to see if we can survive on $10 a day for 2 people and still eat from a relatively varied menu.

I think it's a great idea. I would even suggest a few sheets or shower curtains to give the feel of the space limitations. That way if it's raining outside you cab hold up in your space and see how it is to deal with it.

Don't forget the low ceiling so you can figure out if you can live with that aspect as well.

The only thing you won't be able to simulate is stepping directly outside into either the glorious outdoors or out into the pouring rain... :D  

jimindenver said:
I think it's a great idea. I would even suggest a few sheets or shower curtains to give the feel of the space limitations. That way if it's raining outside you cab hold up in your space and see how it is to deal with it.

This is closer to the mark than you might think -- because I'm seriously thinking about hanging some fabric curtains from the ceiling along the van walls anyway, partly to make the place look more "homey" (although it might end up looking coffin-like if I do it wrong) and partly to hide clutter such as storage bins (and the fact that I'm too cheap/lazy to put wood paneling over my foamboard insulation).  :D

As for the ol' dining budget, I'm going with canned beans, tuna, powdered eggs/potatoes/milk (just add hot water!), and raw vegs for the win. 

By the way, what dimensions should I assume for your basic cargo van living space, more or less?

My best advice to you is this; first figure out what type of van you want. Example-Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, etc. then go to a dealership with pen and paper and measuring tape and get all your measurements first hand.
Then you can go back to your apartment with a better idea of what to expect.
One thing you must consider, and it might be kind of hard to duplicate, unless you go all out and use thin plywood for the simulation, is the curvature of the walls both in the vertical and horizontal plane. And of course, don't forget the ceiling height. [emoji106][emoji604]

Keep in mind the measurements can change over the years, so a 2015 van may not have the same dimensions as a 2000 version of the same model. For example, I recall seeing somewhere that the Ford cargo vans changed in 2007, so the wheel wells might not be in the exact same spot.

The dimensions don't have to be exact; as long as I know I can fit a bed, a bucket, some clothes on hangers, emergency stuff, and a bunch of storage bins into the space (I'm a minimalist.), then it's just a matter of moving things around until I'm happy with them. But I want to get used to maintaining a seated position in a rolling task chair, working from my laptop in bed, putting all items away as soon as I've used them, putting on pants without standing up, etc. I might suspend a sheet of cardboard over my head just to keep myself honest....

I've measured out a few cargo vans in a junk yard... mini vans, Chevy and Ford. The cargo vans are pretty similar. My E150 is 109 inches by 72.

Doing a layout in your house before buying the van is a great idea. I find the key is the bed. A more narrow bed will give noticeably more room. Thats why I am going with 30 inch width.

Here is the draft floor plan I seem to be settling on. Placement of the sink, stove, heater, toilet are not set  and may yet be changed, but this will basically be how I am going to do it in my Ford cargo van.

van%201000_zpsxzuimyyn.jpg

One Awesome Inch,
Am I correct in assuming that your primary method of getting in and out of your living space is through the front of the van? Seems inconvenient, but I'm a big guy and having to climb over seats and stuff is generally a pain. I wonder if it would be possible to use 2 smaller sets of storage drawers and have one on wheels that you can slide away from the door when you need to get in or out of the side door. If it is low enough you could even use it as a desk that can be moved around to wherever you are sitting.

Yeah, I am doing it that way because I want maximize insulation as much as possible. The sliding door is very hard to insulate and still have in operation. Therefore I am going to build over it and render it inaccessable. One of the rear doors, the one not behind the bed will be used for entry / exit when necessary. However the only time I will really use that door is when moving large, more awkward objects in or out of the van. I am also seriously thinking of using the current passenger seat as my recliner in the 'house' part of the van. This will give me another place to sit and will make it a bit easier to get thru my partition door.

Everyone I know who reversed their passenger seat loved it and said it was he best thing they did to the van! Swivel seat is better, but expensive.
Bob

There should be some quick release safe bolts for that seat made somewhere. Reverse it upon demand. Though I do not know where to find anything.

My van has the swivel for both seats. When we turn them towards the back it is all home and rest towards the front business and driving. They recline some and are pretty comfortable. I like your ideas for practicing for full time. Even though I don't live in my van full time I enjoy alot of my free time in it and am getting used to doing more in it all the time. Still dreaming of when it is "home".