I'm Converting my Chevy Suburban

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
I've decided to just use what I got.  I'm trading my 4Runner for my dad's Chevy Suburban, and going to make it comfortable enough to live out of.  It's big enough on the inside, especially length wise.  Head room isn't ideal.  But, like I said, just using what I already have.  For starters, at least.

Now, just gotta get to work on it :)

Not sure where to start.  I know i need solar.  I don't know what panel(s) to purchase though.  I'll probably be asking questions on here as I go.  If anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

pictures?
what do you need solar for?

I'm not being difficult here but if trading why not trade for a van? Just wondering. If it works it works. I made a hatchback work for 5 months, so.

As others have said figure out your needs first then plan solar. If it's just charging a cell phone and tablet or something like that your needs are minimal.

I have also thought about using a suburban. But I fell into this window van.

If I recall correctly you will be traveling up the east coast, right? if you plan on doing a lot of millage everyday a house battery attached to the alternator (I think its to the alternator) will take care of you need.

Nicole

TMG51 said:
I'm not being difficult here but if trading why not trade for a van? Just wondering. If it works it works. I made a hatchback work for 5 months, so.

As others have said figure out your needs first then plan solar. If it's just charging a cell phone and tablet or something like that your needs are minimal.

I would, but neither is mine to trade.  My 4runner was a gift, a long time ago, so i don't technically feel right selling it.  But, this conversion van i was looking at is still up for sale and the guy lowered the price.  So, there may still be a van in my future afterall.

I also have a Suburban. Well, it's a Yukon XL, but it's the same thing. I have taken the third row seat out, and my plan was to take the second row bucket seats out, too. But just today I have been thinking about getting a cargo trailer to pull with it. But I'm still not sure, because I will have to stay in my city for at least another year while I save up money. And a cargo trailer is probably too conspicuous.

Well, nevermind about what I said in the original post...because today, I bought a van!

Yep, i've finally done it. It's a chevy (ironically), high top conversion van. 2005. Can't wait to start converting it to make it live-able inside.

:)

waverider1987 said:
Well, nevermind about what I said in the original post...because today, I bought a van!

Yep, i've finally done it.  It's a chevy (ironically), high top conversion van.  2005.  Can't wait to start converting it to make it live-able inside.

:)

Great. And of course we're gonna need pictures.

Isn't that the way it usually works, as soon as you relax and give up on an idea, it drops in your lap!!

Good for you!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Bob

Yes yes pics of your NOW home !!!
Road trip , road trip , road trip........

waverider1987 said:
I bought a van! ... It's a chevy (ironically), high top conversion van.  2005.  Can't wait to start converting it to make it live-able inside.

Ooh, congratulations! Pictures would be great. I just got my van about a week ago so big high-five from one recent van owner to another! (I think I said that I got my van 10-ish days ago elsewhere; I'm too excited to follow a calendar these days lol!).