I'm considering this bus. What do you think?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, if that rig checks out mechanically you could do a whole lot worse than that.  Fourth gear would be an overdrive so just drive slowly, within reason, and no big issues.  

Seller says it is titled as an RV.  That is a plus.  Would it have to be smogged in Washington?  I'm not sure if you can easily find insurance for an obviously non-factory bus to RV conversion.

Seller is right, that rig is built to way higher standards than a factory made RV.

That`s a lot of money for a vehicle with high miles and has transmission problems. The interior work looks nice, but no propane, no stove or oven, no propane heater. you are looking at a lot of money to add all of that stuff.

Its your call, but its not something I would buy.

Many states require ex school buses to be repainted any color but school bus yellow for a private party to register them and run them on the road.  Factor that into your budget.

I think the tranny and engine milage are important issues...if you can't do that type of work yourself, you could easily be looking at $3,000 to $8,000 in rebuild costs quickly. I saw that this guy has been trying to sell that bus since at least early September...if it was a great deal, I suspect it wouldn't still be sitting 4 months later.

Make sure you get a good mechanic to inspect it, and be sure that the title/VIN and seller all check out...use CarFax.

The interior looks to be a solid conversion, but it's a "mostly labor" one. That is, it doesn't appear that there's enough component value to weigh against potential mechanical repairs. For example, you might look at a 2yr old solar/electric system and say there's $3,000 in just components that you'd have to buy new for yourself. But this interior looks to have around $1,000 materials, wood included...a nice looking but very budget build for something that size.

I agree with the others, for that kind of money it would need to be mechanically sound. While the parts are cheap for those chassis, if you do not do the work yourself it can be costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i dig it,most the work is done,chevy drive train so for around $3500 or so you can get a new engine and trans,i see runner 350s for $500 and the same for used trans,3-4x those cost if you have a pro mech do the work

That's a whole lotta miles for a gas engine.
If it's original and not been rebuilt, then I would not trust it for long trips.

Motor and tranny need to be pulled and used as cores for rebuilt units!
The rear axle and front suspension would need a thorough, professional inspection as well.

I'd pass.

Don't know what the market is like up there, but around here people are asking $2500 to $4000 for buses like that (similarly high miles) with no conversion done. You have to weigh the asking price against buying an unconverted bus and doing it all yourself.

So, here's the most important question: is this one built out in a way you can live with?

If the answer is yes, then this may be a real bargain when weighed against your inexperience. If you've never done much work like this, you're facing a steep learning curve with untold hours of research, the cost of all the parts, the cost of the tools you don't have plus fifty trips to Home Depot in order to get a job like this done yourself. That's just the nature of the beast.

This forum software has given me fits in the past, so I will list the pro's and the con's (as I see them) in separate posts!

Pros:

1) You can move right in.

2) Already titled as an RV, which (unless you like government bureaucracy) should save you a fair amount of time and frustration.

3) That's the GM 3500 HD chassis, which is my favorite in that vehicle weight class. It's already rated at 14,500 GVW plus it has helper airbags installed - a very nice setup.

4) From the pics, little to no rust.

5) Buses like that sell from $3000-$4000 around here.That's straight out of service with similar mileage and no conversion work performed. Even if you pay the full asking price, you're getting someone's labor to install everything for free.

6) Sounds like it has decent tires. That's a major expenditure that's usually a given with a used vehicle purchase. Check the date codes on the tires, and if they're less than 4-5 years old, you're in luck!

The interior is definitely a plus to this one. I will give it up to the seller for trying to be as honest as possible. It really comes down to the prospective buyer's mechanical ability as to how good of a deal this could be. The GM 3500 chassis is a great platform and pretty easy to work on. Where my curiosity gets the best of me is that if the tranny was an easy fix, why not just fix it and sell it for more? I would question the seller about the tranny and low ball offer. If it could be had for less, it would be a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cons:

1) High mileage. Again, that's pretty much a given when buying a bus like this. The good news is that simple maintenance has most likely been performed right on schedule. Bureaucracies like to spend money to keep their budgets as high as possible, so they usually don't skimp on maintenance.

Having said that, it's still a lot of miles. Here's a look at possible expenses:

Transmission: This is a biggie, and you already know it needs work. You might be able to put in a shift solenoid and get the overdrive working again, but I would have it rebuilt. That's the 4l80e, which is a very strong transmission. It's the early version, too, which is the best one to have. An honest, complete rebuild should cost between $1500 and $2000, and should include all new solenoids and all the updates. This includes a rebuilt torque converter and removing/reinstalling the transmission. Any higher and you're paying too much. Any lower and they probably aren't putting in all the new parts they should.

I would use the known transmission issues for negotiating leverage. If you check the bus out and like it, try offering 28 crisp $100 bills and see what happens...

To me, the other serious high mileage issues are engine, differential and front end.

Front end: If it isn't shaking or pulling to one side or the other and the front tires are evenly worn (and you don't see uneven wear on 2 rear tires that could have been switched to hide the problem) then you're probably ok. Front end wear falls under routine maintenance for a school district, and that bus is probably on its third set of ball joints, etc.

The engine may have some life in it, it may not. If you want to know for sure, have a compression test and a leakdown test performed. An engine swap is a lot more work than a transmission rebuild. On the plus side, that is the most common V-8 engine in America and thanks to high volume parts are cheaper than for any other make. Then again, you may not care if the engine is tired if you don't plan to drive a lot.

The differential should be quiet. If there's any whining or clunking, you either need to find one in a junkyard or have this one rebuilt. The spring perches for the vans are in a different place than on the trucks, so good van axles can be hard to find in a junkyard. A rebuild might be preferable if you plan to drive a lot, and I'd have a limited slip put in at the same time.

Bottom line is that you can negotiate hard. Christmas is next week and most people need money right now. I'd rather pay less for a vehicle and then put new parts in myself. Then, I know exactly what I have. I've purchased several used GM 3500 trucks and vans over the years, and the transmission is the always the biggest question mark. It's an excellent transmission, but with that many miles you should expect it to be worn out. In this case, you know that and can use that fact to negotiate.

I don't really count things like tires, brakes and shocks, or starters or alternators. I usually replace those things arbitrarily just so I know I have a safe and reliable vehicle.

Good luck!