Ikea Kitchen Cabinets for a van build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arctic cat said:
Different stroke for different folks but this is what I use
Very nice! Where did you get the roll up at? I was looking at Lowes and HD for some solid Rubber Made (or brand like it) containers. I'm talking about the good ones with the ball bearings on the drawers. Was hoping to find something that was well built but no luck. I assume yours is made out of metal?

Hippiechk said:
I always use repurposed furniture/cabinetry where possible in my vehicle builds...there have been a few. You can find nice solid wood stuff & the custom fitting isn't that hard. I had a great roll to desk as the main part of my bus kitchen & it was awesome.

As for rocking & rolling off road... I used to say this over & over & am actually living proof it works... LOCK YOUR LOAD!!

This van had everything built in even a small Waeco...when EM arrived & began the rescue they tried to remove stuff to get to me. Nothing would budge. They were absolutely thrilled that they needed to cut all my stuff out before cutting me out.

As for getting off road...never have seen another actual RV out where I go...its the driving as much as the vehicle...

What was that before the crash?  I hope you weren't injured too badly.  Some seeing the damage wouldn't even ask, however I once saw a car behind me turn cross ways in front of a conventional Peterbuit at about 60 mph, the truck hit it and the car went up in the air turned over landing on it's roof in the median then went airborne again, flipped again and landed right side up facing N on I45 in the southbound traffic coming out of Dallas TX.    I saw this in my rear view mirror about 2 car lengths ahead of the crash. The lady driving was up and walking around in the hospital that night. 

I've luckily walked away from 2 rollovers one in Dallas and I was a passenger that time.  Then I hit black ice in TX of all places and my 69 Ford pickup went for a spin before we ran out into a field and fell over sideways after standing up on 1 wheel, the snow was a blessing that time. That time it was a miracle the flying debris did't kill me.  I had a C.B. just laying on the dash, metal tool box, 2 glass gallon jars. and big purse, all loose in the cab, and no seat belt on.
I'm off topic, I just had to ask about the crash as I've seen so many,  one even landed  in my front yard when I was 16ys old & the oldest in the car was a 14yr. old driver, at nite in the rain.  
                                                         Jewellann

Tjaybird said:
What was that before the crash?  I hope you weren't injured too badly.  Some seeing the damage wouldn't even ask, however I once saw a car behind me turn cross ways in front of a conventional Peterbuit at about 60 mph, the truck hit it and the car went up in the air turned over landing on it's roof in the median then went airborne again, flipped again and landed right side up facing N on I45 in the southbound traffic coming out of Dallas TX.    I saw this in my rear view mirror about 2 car lengths ahead of the crash. The lady driving was up and walking around in the hospital that night. 

I've luckily walked away from 2 rollovers one in Dallas and I was a passenger that time.  Then I hit black ice in TX of all places and my 69 Ford pickup went for a spin before we ran out into a field and fell over sideways after standing up on 1 wheel, the snow was a blessing that time. That time it was a miracle the flying debris did't kill me.  I had a C.B. just laying on the dash, metal tool box, 2 glass gallon jars. and big purse, all loose in the cab, and no seat belt on.
I'm off topic, I just had to ask about the crash as I've seen so many,  one even landed  in my front yard when I was 16ys old & the oldest in the car was a 14yr. old driver, at nite in the rain.  
                                                         Jewellann

It was a Chevy Venture...moved that engine back 17", was quite a night!

I was injured minimally all things considered, thanks for asking! *smile*

FernwehTramp said:
Very nice! Where did you get the roll up at? I was looking at Lowes and HD for some solid Rubber Made (or brand like it) containers. I'm talking about the good ones with the ball bearings on the drawers. Was hoping to find something that was well built but no luck. I assume yours is made out of metal?

Thank You my friend. I got those from Sam's Club they are all metal and the topper is real wood.  I strapped everything is screwed to the wall.   You have to assemble the units a little tedious but the instructions are fairly easy.   It's called the HD Seville Collection.  Very well made. the part where I have the reefer I made myself.   Just so you know about 3 days ago my van was rear ended at about 40 MPH by a pimple face teenage girl and nothing there or the cabinet move or was damage.

FernwehTramp said:
Here is something close to what I was thinking. Of course removing the wheels and bolting it to the van just in case someone behind me thinks texting is more important than driving.

Rubbermaid 773488 5-Drawer Mobile Work Center https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009DV7Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_bnEBxb3PHRCJE

I like it, it look sturdy and I love the bar.  but to be a devil advocate, if you cook or something get extremely hot, wouldn't melting be an issue?

Hippiechk said:
It was a Chevy Venture...moved that engine back 17", was quite a night!

I was injured minimally all things considered, thanks for asking!  *smile*

Modern cars have quite soft front ends to absorb the forces of an impact. The only accident I have been a driver in was a 2010 Prius running into the back of my van. The Prius was unrecognizable from the front. This is what my van looked like:

[img=400x225]
It just had a bent bumper, but the car was unrecognizable from the front. 

FernwehTramp said:
just in case someone behind me thinks texting is more important than driving.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for my only crash. I was maintaining 60mph on a straight, very slight downhill section of an interstate with 2 miles of visibility. All my lights worked and the 22 year old that hit me did not seem drunk or high. I can't think of any reason for him not to see me other than being distracted by texting/facebook/whatever else people my age do on their phones.

MK7...That is a big reason many of us choose a 1 ton van...tougher suspensions, plus more ground clearance.
We drive carefully on the trails and our stuff doesn't get tossed about.

@arctic cat: And you play that part so well. Did not think of that, thank you. Would hate to have all that counter space and not be able to put a hot pan on it. And I don't want to have to worry about heat pads to keep from burning/melting it.

Now I'm a bit stumped again as to what I want to use lol

FernwehTramp said:
@arctic cat: And you play that part so well. Did not think of that, thank you. Would hate to have all that counter space and not be able to put a hot pan on it. And I don't want to have to worry about heat pads to keep from burning/melting it.

Now I'm a bit stumped again as to what I want to use lol

I have both a kitchen counter top and a folding table that I take the precaution of always using a trivet on if I'm putting anything even warm on them.

My outdoor 'trivets' are simply small pieces of 1 x6 that I found somewhere in my travels. I think I rescued them from a pile of firewood one day... :D

You can buy Silicone pot trivets in W/M that wouldn't take up any room.

The important part is to never forget to use them...not ever!!

I've tested the underside of all three of my stoves and none of them produces enough heat to cause any concern. The three consist of my 2 burner propane stove that I use outdoors on the folding table; a butane stove I love for on my kitchen counter and my alcohol stove (Trangia) I can put in to use when necessary.

The only other solution is to put a heat resistant counter surface over the top of the top of the cabinet but even standard kitchen countertop material  (other than marble etc) is not heat resistant.

Hi just my two cents I also want a van some day and I plan on using things I have already in my home like a nice long wooden dresser I would like to use for my stove and prep area has four draws on each side so plenty of storage. Don t have lots of money or tools go green and save for what you really want down the road its about being free good luck with your van . Once on the road I am sure you will meet other men with tools I see in the vids they work on other vehs at camp sites.

Loving Arizona said:
I really like how organized and simple this van is. I'm new to this. Where did you get your cabinets?

I got the cabinets at Sams Club.   You can follow my thread right here and see how it all began,  I'm currently working the solar panels.