Ikea Kitchen Cabinets for a van build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FernwehTramp

Reaction score
Anyone done a sprinter van/rv build with the standard kitchen cabinets you buy from the store? I was thinking about doing that to save build time and also in hopes for an easier build. While walking around Ikea I checked out their kitchen cabinets and really liked them. Anyone have any experience using any type of "brick and mortar" cabinets? Did they last? How did they hold up? etc...
Thanks!

How well they'll last will depend on how well they're built which mostly depends on how much you pay for them and what roads you take them on. If it's only on decent interstates, probably no problem, start taking the vehicle out on desert BLM roads and more than a mile in and you'll likely be pussyfooting it down the road worrying about the cabinets coming apart at the seams.... :D :D

They'd be a waste of time on most standard cargo vans. The walls have such a curve to them that even templating them for a tight fit is a PITA! You'd be doing more custom fitting than not.

I've not looked at the inside of a sprinter so I have no idea what the inside of one looks like in regards to straight up and down.

My exposure to Ikea furniture products is that are constructed of particle board with a thin, nice looking laminate on the visable surfaces.

Sitting motionless in your family room against the wall, they fall apart after five years of light use. I doubt they would last at all in any type of moving vehicle, let along one which would be traveling back roads.

Just my opinion . . .

Having a background in custom cabinets i'm extremely biased towards IKEA stuff, but taking that out of the equation and looking at it from a practical standpoint I still have a few concerns. They are made from particle board which is very heavy and unnecessary weight in a van isn't very desired, most particle board contains formaldehyde and other nasty stuff and being in the tiny confines of a van would magnify it's negative effects on your respiratory system. The fastening system used isn't very strong and would not hold up to the wear and tear a vehicle would throw its way, and last but not least you are confined to the size cabinets they sell and with out a lot of customization it wouldn't allow very good use of the limited space in a van.

I think someone with even very limited skills could fashion together a much better solution with lighter weight and stronger materials.

You could make better cabinets out of old cardboard boxes , Elmer's glue and a can of spray paint !

rvpopeye said:
You could make better cabinets out of old cardboard boxes , Elmer's glue and a can of spray paint !

I'm not sure I understand what the difference would be?

All that said, there are some things you might use from HD/Lowes in-stock cabinetry, particularly the door/drawer faces. Without a shop, raised panel doors are tough to make...but add another couple clear coats to HD ones and you'll get a nice looking and serviceable product.

Besides my own jobs that I act as a general contractor on, I still do some plumbing for a couple other contractors. One likes to have his customers go to IKEA and pick out what they want, saves him a bit of time I suppose. But I'm always somewhat afraid to even set the plumbing fixtures in them - they are built so cheaply I honestly wonder how they even last through the construction process. I can't see them lasting even a couple months in a vehicle driven on the road regularly. If you really don't have the time or skills to build your own, I'd suggest possible trying the home centers, but look hard at the construction. Most will be particle board - even the higher end ones with nicely constructed fronts. You could always hire a custom cabinet maker to make them exactly as you want, but it will be expensive, and rightly so. A custom cabinet shop has many thousands of dollars invested in tools, and their expertise and labor is certainly worth something. One option for quality built cabinets that would just need refinishing is to check out the Habitat for Humanity type used building supply stores - they always have a huge stock of older cabinets that are generally built with cabinet grade plywood or sometimes even solid wood from the old days before everything started being produces overseas from particle board.

Never mind the Ikea furniture, aren't you guys wrecking the hell out of your van's suspension going into the deep woods using unpaved roads? I can't imagine all the all of my stuff flying around everywhere. Replacing all the shocks, struts, bushings, etc. is expensive.

if you want to get off the pavement you will put wear on your vehicle, true. however if you have the right vehicle you are not wrecking it. besides what do you want to do spend your whole life on pavement. highdesertranger

My first thought was their exceissve weight, second was Ikea cabinets are seemingly designed solely around being able to be packed flat in as small a box as possible, and be quickly assembled at home by an illiterate person with little to no mechanical aptitude, third is the particle board/formaldehyde factor.

I've modified ikea cabinets, they have their uses, but the smell when cutting that particle board is chemical nasty and lingers.

Also, when the particle board gets wet it swells and soon looks like shit stained cellulite.

But on the formaldehyde note, i made extensive use of plywood in my vans cabinetry and bed platform and underbed storage. It is sealed with polyurethane. I've been exposed to nastier stuff. Lots of ventilation helps mitigate those concerns.

See if your area sells baltic birch plywood. It has more plies and thinner glue lines and is lighterweight and more dimensionally stable than home store plywoods. Baltic birch is the name of both Finnish birch and Russian birch plywood. The Finnish birch is more desirable with less voids allowed but as expected, more expensive. It is often sold in 5x5' sheets instead of the traditional 4x8. Usually a very pretty outer veneer which takes a stain nicely too.

Seems most people overbuild bed platforms and van cabinetry with big 2x4 frames and plywood covering that. If I need a sub structure it is 1/2" x2" fir cleats I ran through the tablesaw, or well chosen knotless 1x4s i rip in half on the tablesaw.

Depends on what is available and how much strength is needed.

For making cabinets fit the curves of a van wall, Make cardboard templates, stapling or taping pieces together and cutting it with tin snips, then transfer that template to the plywood.

The Kreg pocket screw kit can make really nice strong joints without a substructure. Glue and pocketscrews is even better.

Its not that hard to build your own cabinets. Some tools and a place to work is all that's needed.

highdesertranger said:
if you want to get off the pavement you will put wear on your vehicle,  true.  however if you have the right vehicle you are not wrecking it.  besides what do you want to do spend your whole life on pavement.  highdesertranger

I dunno dude, I've got a 17 year old van with 150k on it. I don't think it's going to make it if I take it off road often. High performance shocks and struts are at least $800. Then you have to buy the polyurathane bushings, stiffer springs, braces such as strut tower, subframe connectors, etc. $3000 in parts easy, and after that, pay for all the install.

Perhaps for rock crawling such upgrades become necessary. I've gotten my 2wd van into some places where the 4x4 crowd was shaking their head that a 2wd van without a locker could get to.

Driving skill, proper tire pressure, and momentum can make up for lack of ground clearance and traction in many situations.

My suspension upgrades at this point are stiffer front coil springs, KYB gas a just shocks and rear air bag helper springs, and those places i got to that confounded the 4x4 drivers were before such upgrades. And my van is an 89 now with 215K miles on it.

I said you need the right vehicle.  age has nothing to do with it.  my truck is 38 years old.

Q 016.JPG

this is a pic at RTR.  I drive hundreds(sometime thousands)  of miles off road every year.  so like I said you need the right vehicle.  I think you are way over thinking and over estimating what it cost what you must do to the vehicle.  I am not a big fan of struts.  what type of vehicle do you have? most vehicles can handle improved dirt roads no problem and no modification.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• Q 016.JPG
    Q 016.JPG
    104.9 KB
LoupGarou said:
Its not that hard to build your own cabinets. Some tools and a place to work is all that's needed.

I have built a few cabinets in my past, so I got some skills. My problem is I don't have any tools now and I'm looking for a good place to do the build.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I always use repurposed furniture/cabinetry where possible in my vehicle builds...there have been a few. You can find nice solid wood stuff & the custom fitting isn't that hard. I had a great roll to desk as the main part of my bus kitchen & it was awesome.

As for rocking & rolling off road... I used to say this over & over & am actually living proof it works... LOCK YOUR LOAD!!

This van had everything built in even a small Waeco...when EM arrived & began the rescue they tried to remove stuff to get to me. Nothing would budge. They were absolutely thrilled that they needed to cut all my stuff out before cutting me out.

As for getting off road...never have seen another actual RV out where I go...its the driving as much as the vehicle...

Attachments

• IMG_20151201_185856.jpg
    IMG_20151201_185856.jpg
    210 KB
highdesertranger said:
I said you need the right vehicle.  age has nothing to do with it.  my truck is 38 years old.

this is a pic at RTR.  I drive hundreds(sometime thousands)  of miles off road every year.  so like I said you need the right vehicle.  I think you are way over thinking and over estimating what it cost what you must do to the vehicle.  I am not a big fan of struts.  what type of vehicle do you have? most vehicles can handle improved dirt roads no problem and no modification.  highdesertranger

I was always thinking that those trucks might be really great for "VehicleDwelling"....Lots of storage too....Saw one guy (2 years aho) had the back area made with a camper shell...never spoke to him, but guessing he lived in the back area...

Different stroke for different folks but this is what I use

Attachments

• WP_20160528_20_25_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160528_20_25_06_Pro.jpg
    508.4 KB
  • WP_20160528_20_26_10_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160528_20_26_10_Pro.jpg
    487.4 KB