If you could choose land in states to migrate too

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My home has wheels. So far (35 years) David & I have been better at predicting hurricane landfalls than the weather channel. When a hurricane heads our way, we will go camping someplace out of the way. Like back up to Chattanooga (former home) and thereabouts. The area we are looking at would give us a good run up that way. We have run those roads many times before and know they are good for the bus.

LeeRevell, I'm kinda looking at Panacea or Wewahitchka, although that might change. How is the attitude and zoning towards RV's on vacant land in your area and do you know about those areas?

I have not checked into such zoning, but am thinking along those lines. I have property, with a slowly deteriorating DW mobile home. Been considering razing it and parking an RV on the property. Would lower my property taxes, but might also knock out my homestead exemption...... :huh:
Wewa is a very 'countrified' sort of area, but I would expect prices to be lower too. And close enough to Panama City for shopping and entertainment.

My top pick is southwestern Oregon, just west of the Rogue River area and about 60 minutes from the coast. It's beautiful country, got mountains and forests and the oceans not far, and there's skiing not too far away either. I love that the temperatures aren't too extreme, not too hot and not too cold, maybe a bit more rain than I'd like, but just during the winter months. Northern Cali is just a hop skip and a jump, more skiing and if you want the big city, San Francisco's a little over 6hrs south, Portland about 3.5 hrs north, good for a monthly trip for fine dining and entertainment if that's your thing (I do enjoy a great restaurant from time to time, lol). My other choice would be Colorado, but that's a distant 2nd ;?D

I have a question, pertaining to state income tax. I hope I'm in the right place, if not correct me and I'll move.
Being I don't live in a state that has income tax. I need all the info I can get on states that does.

OK, if you're over 65, are you exempt from anything, income or capital gain?

I know in some of Texas counties, your homestead (house) is exempt from school tax and (hospital tax, it depends the town or city you live in.)

I would like to hear from property owners?

I think a van would be the best property to have when you're on fixed income ( I'm tired of paying taxes to wild government spending.)

Hi,

Interesting thread, there's a lot of places to consider. I notice that Fl pops up quite often. Now I am not a Fl kind of guy, humidity, bugs, hurricanes, crowds... It is supposed to be a pretty good state as far as retirees and rv's goes though.

I reside most of the year in Az with hot weather months (usually late May thru Sept) anywhere higher elevation, usually Nv or N California. I have been threatening to plate my van and "move" to S Dakota due to its ease of vehicle plates and drivers license issues but haven't done it yet.

What the OP wants is horse property, so the scrub land found in most of AZ, Nv, NM won't work. Not even much of CO works either. You need rain, which means mostly the SE or South Central parts of the U.S.

Income tax states are often written off but why? AZ has a state income tax, I rarely pay more than $50-100 a year. The taxes are so minimal I don't even consider them. They very nicely counter the "weather taxes" in power or propane costs... One trip to avoid a hurricane or tornado costs more fuel than I pay in annual income tax. When I quit working, then it will drop to near or at zero. Property taxes are basically "average" here, but again, "here" doesn't work for her horse. I'd think Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, east Texas would be reasonable places too, close to the gulf for water and pleasant winters for the most part.

Keep in mind that the definition of "income" can vary quite a bit from state to state.  Some states consider pensions to be taxable income, some don't.  Some tax private pensions but not public pensions.  13 states tax Social Security.

Regards
John

I don't think we'll opt to pay property taxes again, but whether we do or whether we don't, we'll stay in the BC Coastal Mountains in the summertime, and probably Nevada in the wintertime.  If we live to be too old to travel we'll stay in the BC Coastal Mountains, God Willing.  Where we like to live, one can travel from alpine to desert in two hours in the summertime and three hours in winter.

I love both Aspen and Hawai'i, but I don't like the politics of the U.S., so that rules them out as permanent locations for us.  (Permanent meaning from when we can no longer travel to when we're planted.)

Jesse.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Keep in mind that the definition of "income" can vary quite a bit from state to state.  Some states consider pensions to be taxable income, some don't.  Some tax private pensions but not public pensions.  13 states tax Social Security.

Regards
John

That's very accurate. You can go onto Kiplingers or other financial publications and look up the best states to retire to articles. The OP needs horse property and horses need to graze so dry arid states are out. She has about 15-20 she can choose from, mostly south of the Mason-Dixon Line so to speak. Cali isn't reasonable tax wise. OR is cold in the winters, same with WA.

You are very correct that she has to look at her pension i(f any), her SS and her overall income sources. My point is just that income taxes can actually be minimal in comparison to other costs.
You do bring up a good point for higher income people, of which I'm not, so I never even consider those things...

For moderate winter temps I have found that staying south of the general I-40 line is a good guideline. BTW, hurricanes give plenty of warning. My daughter and I have been discussing things and it's looking like we will end up in the Mobile AL area. Yes, AL has a state income tax. It's less than NM. The basic thing you need to keep in mind is this... All state need revenue to function. They will get the money somehow. Either thru state income tax or other taxes.

A few years ago I considered Al due to low housing costs and ridiculously low property taxes. Something like 2-$300 in property taxes compared to 2-$3,000 in many other states for the same value home (under 80K). Course, it's Alabama. I can say that as I was born there...
They've suffered with violent tornadoes the last few years...

Disclaimer, I know nothing about this land parcel, am not a licensed realtor, and my brother in law Jimmy Lee Bob never told me I'd get a finders fee...

Apparently this town is about 18 miles N of Florida and 20 miles from Georgia in the southeastern corner of Alabama. I have no idea what "commercial" real estate exclusions, limitations and salutations are there, however, it would be pretty durn' cheap dirt at that price. Maybe swamp, or an old alligator farm...
Commercial Land - Dothan, AL
0 Beverly, Dothan, AL | Houston County, AL
Price: $5,500 ($108/acre)
Size: 51 acres

Contact Seller
Listed By:
Danny Sharp
Property Type(s):
Undeveloped Land
Posted: 111 days ago
Last Updated:5/14/2015
Times Viewed: 165
Listing Status: Active
Irrigated: No
Residence: No
LandAndFarm ID: 1817380
Cropland Acres:
Contact seller or broker/agent
Price is listed as $5,500 per acre if one sale for the entire Sam Houston Park property. Prices escalate for partial sales......make offer. Beverly Road frontage........also railroad frontage. land extends east to Golf Creek (sewer runs along creek) Additional land also available.

Send to a FriendBack to Search Results

In Texas if you own acreage you can get agg. exemption. You have to have some kind of livestock  on it or for farm use, such as hay. My property value is 125,000 and I'm paying taxes as it would cost 12,000. I have 1 acre of this land as homestead and I have to pay regular taxes on it. I can only speak for Texas. Other states probably have something similar. My county, homestead is exempted from school tax, but if you have another house, they will hit you hard. School tax is 1.35%.

Once you pay off your property, you still have to pay the government rent. You never own nothing.

That's right. You never really own anything. Years ago I thought I was smart and went to a county tax sale. I got the lists of properties for sale for their 3 year overdue taxes. Couldn't miss, you pay the back taxes, get 7 percent interest when they redeem or you get the land. Well, I went out and looked at the lots. Scrubby 5000 SF carved out lots that McCullough Properties tried to make a Sun City Southern Colorado out of in the mid 60's. They promised the moon to east and northern state buyers and never delivered. So most of the thousands of lots were let go for taxes, to the tune of 3-400 each. Well, no problem, I bought several contiguous lots, thinking I could combine. Wrong. Then the sewer district sent me an assessment bill as the federal government wanted sewer run out to all the properties. I would have had to pay about 1,200 a property... So what did I do? Let them all go back to the county for, you got it, back taxes... "Stupid is as stupid does"

Here's the county in southern Co I bought from, if you're interested or just nosy, search on "Pueblo County Treasurer" and then click on the " Look at the original advertisement" Works fine... A lot of people pay the 1 yr delinquent taxes cause they know a property with a home will get redeemed by the owner instead of losing it. After 5 years it's yours...

Below is what you will see, minus the splashy pictures etc...

Pueblo County Treasurer

The Treasurer's Office is responsible for the collection of all real estate, personal property, manufactured housing and state assessed taxes. We are located on the first floor of the County Courthouse, at 215 W. 10th St, Pueblo, CO 81003. Our office hours are 8am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday, except legal Holidays. For more information, please contact us directly.

(719) 583-6015 - Telephone

(719) 583-6526 - Fax

Most requested information

I would like to...

Pay My Property Taxes Online

Find all County-held Properties

2014 Tax Lien Sale Information

Find mobile homes in the upcoming Pueblo County Tax Sale

Find real property in the upcoming Pueblo County Tax Sale

Look at the original advertisement of Tax Sale mobile homes

Look at the original advertisement of Tax Sale real property

Compassrose,

Here's your 5 acre Mobile County land... 25,000

Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama Land For Sale -
Photos
Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama Land For Sale -

Approximately 5 acres+- with frontage on paved county rd. Convenient to all points North and South. Good spot for retirement. Mobile Home or small business. Utilities available to front of property. No warranties expressed or implied. Measurements are approximate and should be verified by buyer.

Brokered And Advertised By: PORT CITY REALTY
Listing Agent: Port City Realty

all these deals sound great but I would go to the actual property first and stand on it to get a look around. no offense dusty, but that's what I would do. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
all these deals sound great but I would go to the actual property first and stand on it to get a look around.  no offense dusty,  but that's what I would do.  highdesertranger

None taken. I stood on mine but didnt anticipate the water and sewer district assessing that levy on each lot...

The only property I want to own from now until they plant me is whatever rig I'm calling home. (There *is* one possible exception to this statement but it's unlikely, long, and complicated, so I won't bother with it here.) If I'm too old and sick to take care of myself then the government can do it on their dime - if Brian predeceases me, which I consider highly unlikely. Still, one never knows, so we have prepared for either contingency.

Cheers,

Jesse.

[quote pid='89653' dateline='1403051460']

If you buy land at around 6000 feet, you'll get a true 4 seasons, but none of them extreme.

[/quote]

What areas are they?  Admittedly, when I think of AZ I think 'hot.'  Any idea what the building codes are like in the state?

Like most anywhere else. Counties all adopted the Uniform Building Code, rural is less picky except for septic, that's always an issue, getting percolation tests etc... Just stay away from populated areas, usually you are ok. Closer to people you get the more intrusive. There's always some quirks, just search by county for their building codes...