If not now, when?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seajatt

Reaction score
A 42 year-old woman passed from the corona virus. All deaths are tragic, but her's is sticking in my mind because she's only 8 years older than myself.

And it makes me wonder what she had planned. Her goals. Her dreams. It sounded like her death came pretty fast. I know I have mine, and equal parts fear and prudence have kept me from pursuing van life. From seeing what's out there. From finishing that book. To someday having kids.

I think, gods willing, if I make it through this, I want to put aside some of the fear. And not allow it to restrain me. Especially given that our time is indeed limited. And one's life can end far more abruptly than anyone can imagine.

All this certainly makes one think.

It does.

I bought a fabric shopping bag last year that says “If not now, when? If not you, who?”

I love it, and it is a great reminder from many perspectives to do what you can, when you can, with what you have.

I had no choice. I had to go to work and earn a salary and put money away for retirement (it will come back it has doubled since 2008) it’s still smart to do. I also needed health insurance. I think this millennial generation many of whom seem to live at home and be supported or subsidized by parents feel that they should have it all. Fun, creativity, a challenge, happiness etc. They aren’t thinking about the future if they get sick ( I did) or disabled (I did for 7 years)

Life is often about doing the right thing not the best thing for yourself. I have a disabled brother who couldn’t get benefits in other states and couldn’t be without them long enough to try and figure it out. He will always need me so I couldn’t leave my expensive city.

So if you’ve put off your dreams that may be because you’re being a grown up and taking care of your future. You can still follow your dreams but it’s not all or nothing. Be a part-time nomad until you retire or figure out how to make money on the road. Write your book early in the morning or late at night. Read Jonathan Kellerman’s bio. Many authors do that. Please don’t see the world as black and white. Be smart and responsible and follow your dreams at the same time. You’re young. You have plenty of time. I’m glad I waited.

The line "If not now..." is a quote from a famous Jewish rabbi from about 50 BC. An Italian man used that as a title to a novel (I never read - and can't remember his name). It was also a title to a song from the 60's (i think). Ronald Reagan used it powerfully in a speech. No matter what our politics got to admit he was great speaker. I am going to google that - I find that kind of thing interesting.

I have had to face the possibility of death quite a few times. I quit having life revelations changes about it many years ago. Every time you get put under anesthesia for a surgery there is a possibility of complications that could result in death. Every time you walk on a sidewalk or drive in a vehicle or fly in an airplane, or if you experience a hurricane, or tornado, or get a bad dental infection, or have pneumonia, etc. You could slip fall and hit your head and bust your skull.

I can get pneumonia from even a mild common cold at 70 as I have mild chronic bronchitis. I am most certainly no going to be making any changes in my life or life style because of Covid 19 other than following the recommended social distancing and if I do get it then seeking medical care right away. As a senior every year we live brings with it new risk.

I just got through a several year battle and 5 eye surgeries to save my vision. And also 2 abdominal surgeries to remove cancer. Covid 19 is a lot less of a worry, that those were.

Try to keep it in perspective without going through a life crisis. You are not all that likely to die from it. Of course follow the recommendations and do as you are asked to lower the overall risk for the whole of the population including yourself. If you want to make some major changes in your attitude go for it but it does not require Covid 19 or even any particular event to stimulate such things.

Hunter S. Thompson once wrote, “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a Ride!’”

People seem to love that quote. I would be afraid of "skidding in broadside" a good mile short of the finish line, "thoroughly used, totally worn out" and despondently proclaiming, "My God, what have I done?"

There are indeed perpetual worrywarts in this world who never get a chance to enjoy life (the famous story of Bob's dad), but there are also people who set forth unprepared and who end up on the side of the road next to a broken-down van with a busted head gasket and no money in their pockets. There is a balance to be reached, I think.

Latest posts