I'd like your opinion on these two vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
I have not decided to buy either of these vans. They both have some pros and cons that I've thought about, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions because I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I haven't thought about:

Van 1: http://www.landers.com/detail-1999-...0_discovery_conversion_van-used-14564214.html
Pros: a little more headroom, has a bed, has storage space
Cons: looks like it would be difficult to mount solar panels, has damage reported on carfax, higher mileage

Van 2: http://www.landers.com/detail-1998-gmc-safari_cargo_van-111_2_quote_wb_rwd-used-14484706.html
Pros: Lower mileage, would be easier to mount solar panels, I have enough cash to pay for it without selling anything else/financing, clean carfax
Cons: Less space

Both of them have windows all the way around, which I'm not a big fan of, but I don't think that's a deal breaker for me. Of course a cargo van with no windows would be ideal, and I might pass up both of these for a cargo van.

If you guys could weigh in with your thoughts, I sure would appreciate it. I'm going to take a closer look at both of them today and drive them. After I hear from you guys, if I decide to buy, it will be this weekend.

Of the two, my preference would be the first with the TV top.  As a tall guy, I like more headroom.  But, the indeterminate engine type is a red flag.  One part lists a 5.7L V8, another lists a 4.3L V6 - big difference in performance depending which it actually has.  Outside paint is a bit worn, but painting a van isn't rocket science.  Ditch the middle and back seats, you'd have a nice starter package.

Bottom van has many red flags.  V6 engine, low top, slider side door, possible trashed interior (listed as 'poor' in all categories).

I would choose neither . My advice keep looking. If you like GM go for a 2500 window 16" wheels

Since I am looking for a 3500 (155") wheelbase my opinion would be to pass on both.

But as to why, I'd rather install MY choices and not "Work around" what others put in....

There are differing opinions on cargo vans versus passenger vans; it depends on where you plan to stay. Also, on regular versus extended: that also depends on where you plan to stay and what you plan to do with your van.

But you have posted a high-top full-size van and a low-roof minivan. Those two vehicles are extremely different for an RV living perspective. I respect your bias for action, but think you would benefit from taking some measurements and doing some planning.

Raven+Squid said:
Wait for extended CARGO van with minimal windows and then put high top on it when feasible. You wont be disappointed.

Every van dweller I've ever met who has tried both cargo vans and window vans, prefer window vans every time.

I'd find the van with the best mechanicals, windows or not, high top or not. The 4.3 v6 in the astro is a dependable motor, and will move that astro much quicker than my 5.2 liter V8 moves my b250

That said, I like having windows, and the option to completely cover them too. I also like having a TV top. Mine's not so rounded as that Chevy, and i have 200 watts of solar up there, perhaps 250 some day.

You'll know the correct canvas when it presents itself to you.

I guess the windows don't open on any of these passenger vans. Is it possible do you know to place the windows with windows that do open?

cortttt said:
I guess the windows don't open on any of these passenger vans. Is it possible do you know to place the windows with windows that do open?

I don't know if they can be replaced or not. I didn't buy either van, though.

cortttt said:

I found replacement windows for my Savana because the Chevy version mostly comes with tilt out windows and the parts are interchangeable. BUT the cost was prohibitive and the auto glass place wouldn't do the work for some strange reason...I have no idea why a glass place wouldn't switch out glass but there ya go!

If it's just the windows in the doors that you want to have open, perhaps re & re'ng the door itself from one at the parts yard would be more feasible.

Almost There said:
I found replacement windows for my Savana because the Chevy version mostly comes with tilt out windows and the parts are interchangeable. BUT the cost was prohibitive and the auto glass place wouldn't do the work for some strange reason...I have no idea why a glass place wouldn't switch out glass but there ya go!

If it's just the windows in the doors that you want to have open, perhaps re & re'ng the door itself from one at the parts yard would be more feasible.

Isn't that something. I guess you never know. Thanks for passing that on.

I have 3 opening windows where I had 1 Ford bodies remained the same for a long time and being a long time wreaking yard picker, have replaced 2 more windows to open style windows. The problem is the E.P.A. closing down a lot of local yards and insurance liability claims. Keep the rookies out of the Yards please. I will bet you a buck Highdesert has an old exchange book that will help identify body part interchangeability. Or just go on line.

Thunder Dan,

I just wanted to say that looking at dealers is a good idea at your stage, and may help me. I spent a Saturday afternoon at a nearby family-owned used van lot (really; he just does vans) taking measurements of cargo vans.

I picked up some yardsticks and masking tape to use for bed mockups and such, although I haven't used them.

Anyway, just thanking you for reminding us all that dealers do stock vans. I have a personal reason where I pretty much need to buy from a private party, but I should probably go to a dealer and see if I can test drive a couple of vans.

ascii_man said:
Thunder Dan,

I just wanted to say that looking at dealers is a good idea at your stage, and may help me.  I spent a Saturday afternoon at a nearby family-owned used van lot (really; he just does vans) taking measurements of cargo vans.

I picked up some yardsticks and masking tape to use for bed mockups and such, although I haven't used them.

Anyway, just thanking you for reminding us all that dealers do stock vans.  I have a personal reason where I pretty much need to buy from a private party, but I should probably go to a dealer and see if I can test drive a couple of vans.

Agree. I just test drove a Nissan NV at a Nissan lot. The salesman was very knowledgeable - he specialized in NV's - and it was very helpful. I really liked the NV - they put a lot of thought into it but it in the end it was too small for me and my two dogs.....If they could extend it two feet I would consider it (if I could afford it).

I learned alot about the NV and vans in general.

LeeRevell said:
That is a thing I want to see too, a long body/wheelbase NV van with hightop.

I liked that van. I like driving a van with a truck snout. It's cool :)

That van is almost 241 inches long which makes it about the same size as a Chevy Express but 14 inches shorter than an extended version. They could have added another foot and a half on there.  That might have been enough for me given all other stuff the van incorporates.

If I were buying new, I think I'd by a Ford Transit. They have several combinations of roof height and length.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Every van dweller I've ever met who has tried both cargo vans and window vans, prefer window vans every time.

I also prefer windows but in my opinion you need to paint around the window edges on the inside to help block light , I use rigid foam board cut to window size and then upholstered , if you don't paint the edges light can seep out , with edges painted and foam boards its actually more stealth cause you can be sitting inside with all the lights on and from outside it looks like nobody's in there cause you dont see no light , the added benefit is when your at the lake or wherever you can pop the foam board out and have a great view