I Want to Make it Myself - DIY Everything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMadYesHappy

Reaction score
One of the things I am doing as I prepare for a simpler, smaller life, is to learn to make stuff that I would normally buy.  It's an odd, personal quirk that I have always asked silently in my own head, "If the commercial source of this went away today, how would I get it?"

I've been doing a little DIY over the last few years or so, and I have successfully made:

- my own bath soap
 - my own laundry soap
 - my own chap stick and hand lotion

Next on my list is cheese.  Besides it's keeping qualities without refrigeration, I like cheese (my doctor hates it).  I mean, what would life be without the occasional plate of nachos or a ham sandwich without a slice of "concentrated" dairy on it?  Am I right?  Yah.

The short list of other things I want to learn to do, are:

- blacksmithing / metal smelting
 - pit firing clay pots/bowls/cups/etc
 - winemaking
 - essential oil making
 - bow (and arrow) making
 - tanning hide (not to be confused with spanking  :) )
 - leather smithing
 - lots and lots more...

Basically anything that was done by hand, before the industrial revolution, I want to learn to do.  I wouldn't call myself a Prepper ( I don't like labels anyway), but I share some of their goals.  I tend to look at things in discrete segments, individual qualities rather than ascribe the whole set normally attributed to some labeled group or another.  Make sense?  Yah, probably not.  It's okay ... not the topic.

I would love to hear other folks input/feedback/observations along similar lines ... making your own stuff.  Share your recipes maybe?  Tell us about your own journey in exploration of a DIY mindset.

I like this! I have sometimes thought along the same lines. I have a few general how-to books kicking around and am interested in learning more do-it-myself stuff, as well. I think building out my own van will equip me with a lot of new skills.

Have you watched the Primitive Technology videos on Youtube? Very cool stuff.

I've made my own arrows, but bought my bow. Have made lotions, bath stuff, but soap making is a science, not an art. Have made my own cordials, but brewing beer is more work than I want to do, and wine requires settling time, not exactly conducive to the nomad life. Essential oils, leatherwork, needlework and rudimentary weaving are also in my skill set. I would seriously recommend you look into the Society for Creative Anachronism (sca.org). They are more than happy to share their skills and information to anyone who asks. If you are in the Arizona area, there is a huge gathering of them in February (EstrellaWar.org).

dawnann7 said:
Have you watched the Primitive Technology videos on Youtube? Very cool stuff.

YES!  Awesome stuff!  :)
I'm not sure I want to purposely live that primitive, but I DO want to know how in case I NEED to.  I love technology, and want to hang on to what makes practical sense.  But, if for some reason everything electron based goes south, I want to be ready to carry on in the ways of our ancestors.

GypsySpirit said:
I've made my own arrows, but bought my bow.   Have made lotions, bath stuff, but soap making is a science, not an art.   Have made my own cordials, but brewing beer is more work than I want to do, and wine requires settling time, not exactly conducive to the nomad life.  Essential oils, leatherwork, needlework and rudimentary weaving are also in my skill set.   I would seriously recommend you look into the Society for Creative Anachronism (sca.org).   They are more than happy to share their skills and information to anyone who asks.  If you are in the Arizona area, there is a huge gathering of them in February (EstrellaWar.org).

I've knocked on the door of the SCA, and have wanted to connect/participate as some level, but ... A) the chapter near my home seems to have dissolved, and ... B) they seem a bit "war like."  Not necessarily a bad thing, but something I prefer to avoid if I can.  War (or violence of any sort), for me, is an extreme LAST resort ... unless you set out to harm a family member or friend ... it will likely move up the hierarchy very quickly.

As far as wine and beer, I don't drink that often, but just want to know HOW ... in case.  Wine is a good way to store calories without refrigeration ... beef jerky, cheese, whatever ... I'm more about the, "how-to-just-in-case," if that makes sense?

Some things, like bow and arrow, or pottery making, are more art to me and far more attractive apart from just a "need to know" sort of motive.  Blacksmithing fits in there too ... just because of the aesthetic aspect, I guess?

Anyway, Gypsy ... I VERY much appreciate your input, and who knows where fate will lead ... perhaps we'll cross paths some day and share notes?  :)

First things first. Can you make a fire from two sticks? Start with that and add to your skill set as you progress into more independent living. If you can't make a fire then pretty much everything else is a no-go.

NoMadYesHappy said:
Anyway, Gypsy ... I VERY much appreciate your input, and who knows where fate will lead ... perhaps we'll cross paths some day and share notes?  :)

Sounds good.   And if you are looking for pioneer type cooking manual, don't laugh, but the Little House on the Prairie cookbook covers every food in the story and explains the how to prepare and store, from making a tree smoker to cheese and preserves.

Well NoMad, you plan on sewing yer own buckskins and grinnin' a bar down?
Sorry, watching the old Davy Crockett movie.

Actually, I agree, the Little House on the Prairie cookbook goes into a lot of detail on foods back then.

Motrukdriver said:
First things first.  Can you make a fire from two sticks?  Start with that and add to your skill set as you progress into more independent living.  If you can't make a fire then pretty much everything else is a no-go.

I can ... if the two sticks are a flint and steel!
I haven't tried other methods, but have seen the process while staying at a Holiday Inn.  :D
Okay, all fun aside, point taken MoTrukDriver.  I will practice that!  Thanks for the input.

GypsySpirit said:
Sounds good.   And if you are looking for pioneer type cooking manual, don't laugh, but the Little House on the Prairie cookbook covers every food in the story and explains the how to prepare and store, from making a tree smoker to cheese and preserves.

GypsySpirit ...
Thanks!  I'll check that out!  :)

The best material for making arrowheads is the thick glass from the bottom of beer bottles. It chips just like flint or obsidian.

The challenge comes because the glass is curved, so you need to chip it properly to end with a flat arrowhead.

One tip: the ordinary 16-ounce bottle bottoms are too small. It's easier to get a good flat arrowhead if you use the glass from quart bottles.

lenny flank said:
The best material for making arrowheads is the thick glass from the bottom of beer bottles. It chips just like flint or obsidian.

The challenge comes because the glass is curved, so you need to chip it properly to end with a flat arrowhead.

One tip: the ordinary 16-ounce bottle bottoms are too small. It's easier to get a good flat arrowhead if you use the glass from quart bottles.

I've seen that!  Very cool use of materials normally considered junk.  Knapping is on my list to learn as well.  It [knapping], for me, is as much about the art involved as anything else.  But, I think if there is steel around [derelict cars?], I'd probably opt to use it instead of stone or glass ... maybe?  Although, ceramics DO make a pretty sharp edge!  Thanks, Lenny!  :)

You can make a passable 'cheese' from home cultured yogurt by draining off all the whey, greek style, and then salting it.

DLTooley said:
You can make a passable 'cheese' from home cultured yogurt by draining off all the whey, greek style, and then salting it.

I've wondered about that.  I've seen several approaches to making cheese, and all seem to start with separating the solids from the whey.  Hmm ... and I can have a nice dollop of yogurt too!  That there's a two fer!  :)

Thanks, Douglas!  :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
  Although, ceramics DO make a pretty sharp edge!  

Oddly, one of the best materials to practice knapping on is broken toilet ceramic. It's referred to as "commodicite" or "johnstone".

It chips very much like flint.

:)