I Want to Make it Myself - DIY Everything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it brings you joy, go for it, but I'd rather spend my limited time on the planet doing something other than making soap or tanning hides.

lenny flank said:
Oddly, one of the best materials to practice knapping on is broken toilet ceramic. It's referred to as "commodicite" or "johnstone".

It chips very much like flint.

:)

... commodicite!  Gotta love it!  :)

tx2sturgis said:
Saving that for 'Burning Van'....

:dodgy:

One has to wonder, have we just made the NSA list with this thread?  
I cooda swore I saw a cuple a fellas with dark sun glasses talkin' into their coat sleeves out front a my house.  :D

MrNoodly said:
If it brings you joy, go for it, but I'd rather spend my limited time on the planet doing something other than making soap or tanning hides.

After NK punches the big red button and society as we know it collapses, you're gunna come looking for me to get some soap to wash your stinky bits!  LOL!  :)

Actually, it's not specifically about soap.  It, for me, is about learning.  It doesn't take much to suck me in up to my eyeballs if it's something I find interesting.  I suppose that's why I've got such a diverse resume'.  I also plan to spend a good bit of time in a comfortable, west facing chair with my feet up, doing nothing but watching the sun go down and contemplating the lint in my navel.  :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
After NK punches the big red button and society as we know it collapses, you're gunna come looking for me to get some soap to wash your stinky bits!  LOL!  :)

Actually, it's not specifically about soap.  It, for me, is about learning.  It doesn't take much to suck me in up to my eyeballs if it's something I find interesting.  I suppose that's why I've got such a diverse resume'.  I also plan to spend a good bit of time in a comfortable, west facing chair with my feet up, doing nothing but watching the sun go down and contemplating the lint in my navel.  :)

I have no desire to live in a post-collapse world, so I would end my life.

I like learning new skills, too, but it's so I can make things that didn't previously exist, like the interior of my van. I don't want to spend my time making things that already exist and can be easily and cheaply acquired. 

I'm not saying my way is right and your way is wrong. I was sincere when I said to go ahead and do it if it brings you joy.

NoMadYesHappy said:
Tell us about your own journey in exploration of a DIY mindset.

I started homebrewing (in the 80s) because the beer style I liked wasn't avaiable in the US at that time.  Also did some unaged indian style cheese (curdled using lemon juice, IIRC). Yogurt.  Yeast ranching.  Stuff like that.  But as I aggressively downsize my life to fit in a van I am casting off most of my physical hobbies that require equipment.  I will focus more on walking, hiking, reading, setc.

For me, learning to do something from scratch is the best way to understand it.

There is a really terriffic primitive living skill camp near Phoenix in February. More info here:
https://wintercountcamp.com/

I've had numerous friends go who loved it, and I've been wanting to go for years but just haven't made it. It's expensive but it is for a week and they provide 2 meals a day.

I think it would be perfect for you!

NoMadYesHappy said:
Next on my list is cheese. 
Oh man, I'd love to learn to make burrata, soft goat cheese, and PANEER.  I love paneer. :D I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

AdventurousAdriana said:
Oh man, I'd love to learn to make burrata, soft goat cheese, and PANEER.  I love paneer. :D I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Dang it, now I'm hungry too.  I'll be right back ... gunna go raid the pantry!  :)

Okay, this is probably not mainstream thinking (What?  Not mainstream thinking in this forum?  Strothe!  Perish the thought!), but I kind of feel attracted to the notion of a post apocalyptic world.  Is that wild or what?

Somehow, the notion of having a clean slate and a smattering of knowledge across multiple disciplines, makes the idea of being around after the nuclear winter appealing to me.

Go ahead, call me crazy.  I would!

I believe that is the root of all my attraction to DIY.  If (not all that big of an if IMHO) this world paradigm ends and a new one begins, I want to carry forward as much knowledge as I can...assuming I make it to the next iteration.

Simple stuff like soap, cheese, rubber, plastic, blacksmithing ... I mean, I could construct the MOAL (Mother Of All Lists) to carry on after the MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs)!

Wal-Mart won't be here.  We'll need SOMETHING!  No?

DIY is more, at least to me, than convenience or craft.  It's a second chance.  Pessimist though I am, I still want another swing at bat.  Having some skills before I step up to the plate just makes sense.  SWING!

Wouldn't it be grand, as small of a chance inside the human condition that presents, if we could usher in the next level.  Better.  Wiser.  Humbler.  This is the kind of stoopid stuff that just makes my heart go "pitter-pat!"

DIY or DIE!

Homerun!  :D

AdventurousAdriana said:
Wow this camp/workshop looks amazing!  Thanks for sharing.

Friends of ours run it and they are really excellent organizers and fun folk!

akrvbob said:
There is a really terriffic primitive living skill camp near Phoenix in February. More info here:
https://wintercountcamp.com/

I've had numerous friends go who loved it, and I've been wanting to go for years but just haven't made it. It's expensive but it is for a week and they provide 2 meals a day.

I think it would be perfect for you!

Wow!  How'd I miss this one?  I REEELEY need to slow down!  LOL!
Thanks akrvbob!  This is definitely of interest to me!

NoMadYesHappy said:
Okay, this is probably not mainstream thinking (What?  Not mainstream thinking in this forum?  Strothe!  Perish the thought!), but I kind of feel attracted to the notion of a post apocalyptic world.  Is that wild or what?

Somehow, the notion of having a clean slate and a smattering of knowledge across multiple disciplines, makes the idea of being around after the nuclear winter appealing to me.

Go ahead, call me crazy.  I would!

I believe that is the root of all my attraction to DIY.  If (not all that big of an if IMHO) this world paradigm ends and a new one begins, I want to carry forward as much knowledge as I can...assuming I make it to the next iteration.

Simple stuff like soap, cheese, rubber, plastic, blacksmithing ... I mean, I could construct the MOAL (Mother Of All Lists) to carry on after the MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs)!

Wal-Mart won't be here.  We'll need SOMETHING!  No?

DIY is more, at least to me, than convenience or craft.  It's a second chance.  Pessimist though I am, I still want another swing at bat.  Having some skills before I step up to the plate just makes sense.  SWING!

Wouldn't it be grand, as small of a chance inside the human condition that presents, if we could usher in the next level.  Better.  Wiser.  Humbler.  This is the kind of stoopid stuff that just makes my heart go "pitter-pat!"

DIY or DIE!

Homerun!  :D
NoMad, I guess i'm lucky in this respect as my husband is a know it all in this type of post apocalyptic living and know how. He's pretty cool in that respect.

Latest DIY quest ... lumber treatment to protect against critters that eat wood ... bugs, fungi, etc ...

Borax solution and antifreeze. The recipe I got didn't have quantities, so I'm going with a half and half solution, spraying on with a garden sprayer.

I do admire those who make their own stuff, including woodworking and sewing.

do a test piece first. I have been told that antifreeze swells wood. highdesertranger