I think I'm adding Phoenix to my list of places not to go back to.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Before coming to Quartzsite I spent a couple days in Phoenix, and I made a few observations. The first is that people there smoke meth like people back east smoke pot. I often stay up late and in Phoenix everyone up after dark was looking for glass.

The second observation comes in the form of a narrative. Saturday I learned when half the streets were shut down that there was a parade happening. So I parked the van and went out on foot to join the spectators. Rounding a corner, I saw a man sprawled out on the sidewalk trying to get up. People were walking past him, and I was about to do the same until I got close enough to see the pool of blood on the concrete and the back of his head which was still freshly bleeding. This was at noon on a sunny day, and all the blood was still wet.

Drunks, junkies, scam artists, and people who are otherwise homeless of their own making exist in every city, and it's easier to keep walking than to take a chance on someone. No one else was taking a second glance at him. I stopped anyway and asked him if he was alright. He asked me for help getting up. Even with me lifting half his weight, he couldn't get on his feet. I said I'd call for an ambulance, which he refused, but thanked me for stopping. Then he laid back down next to his pool of blood and closed his eyes.

His hands were rough, but his clothes were clean and he was mostly well groomed. I didn't notice any strong smells (booze, b.o.) in the time I was close enough to try to lift him. So I still wasn't sure whether he was f-ked up on substances, or if he had a concussion, or both. But regardless of his own condition or desire for medical services, at the very least he shouldn't be bleeding out in a busy public area. So I walked to a cop at a nearby barricade (one of many for the parade) and told him of the man and his condition.

The officer's response? "Oh, he's still there? Someone else said that an hour ago."

Now, I've been in a lot of cities where drinking in public, homelessness, people sleeping on the streets and etc is overlooked, and I understand how easy it is to become galvanized to these forms of scenery. But when there's a fresh puddle of blood amidst foot traffic? Only two people in the span of an hour took interest in that, and neither one was the police officer?

Yeah I don't think I'll be going back. Too many tweakers.

The officer did later say he would send someone to find the guy. Presumably even if the man is homeless they should give him medical attention.

That's awful. I'll cross Phoenix off my list also. I'm not much on big cities anyway.

find it definitely weird about the callous nature of cities and towns that have problems. It sounds like it would be much better to be homeless in a nicer area (short period) while you look for a job. With a little online investigation at a library you can find better towns and cities.

It is chilling to hear that. They had a TV special once where a child was set-up to look like they needed help on a busy sidewalk. The majority just ignored the child. In a way, I understand everyone's fear now but alerting law enforcement of a possible problem doesn't take that much effort. My son with Down syndrome, being unsupervised in a school situation, left the school and entered the world where he had never been alone. He ended up near some railroad tracks, extensive and busy and if not for a healthcare worker who saw him and called in someone she thought was in need of help, he most likely would not be here today. He functions at about the 5 year level, had crossed a trestle bridge exclusively for trains and ended up at a multi-track intersection. The was a small town and there is much to be said for them.

What a sad story. We had a similar experience recently but with a much different outcome. We were on Santa Monica around 7:30 in the evening. We had met a friend for dinner and were heading back to our RV which was parked at the pier. As we approached an intersection a man riding a bike crashed into the curb and tumbled down on the sidewalk chin first. He was tangled up in his bike, obviously slightly drunk. Tony got the bike off of the street and helped the guy to sit up. Fortunately he wasn't hurt very badly but blood was dripping from his chin. Barely five minutes had passed before a cop pull up and asked what had happened, offered to call an ambulance, warned the man about riding under the influence and made sure that everything was okay. A much more compassionate approach from the cop that what you encountered.

I doubt that two days in a city is adequate to provide a fair assessment but I also strongly believe that cities are not a good place to 'camp'. While I have encountered 'tweakers' [or 'tweekers'] in places other than cities, I avoid heavily populated areas when at all possible. The more people, the more problems, IMO.

That sounds cold, cold, cold, but maybe the cop had already asked if the man wanted help. If he denied any offers for help, the cop can't force the man to have the first aid he probably needs. It is a free country. Clearly, though, a lot of people there were quite callous.

I live in a big city, well not big at 50,000, but plenty big in my eyes. The city overall isn't too bad, but go downtown after dark and it is a different world.

Where the hell in Phoenix do you guys go? The most shitty part of town you can find? Every large city, and most small cities have drug problems. Small towns have more Meth than Walter White.

I live in Phoenix. Have nearly all my life. Never seen any of this. Sure we have our share of homeless, but the climate brings them. Just don't hang around truck stops and homeless shelters and you will see none of this.

The guy laying on the ground? Like Canine said, if he doesn't want help, he doesn't want help. It's not the police departments job to round up homeless people.

I've been to Phoenix 3-4 times in the last year and I've spent 4-5 days in it during those trips. I liked it there. At least about as much as I would for a big city. There are nice parts of the city where the kind of thing you described definitely does not happen. I spent a day in and out behind a library in one of the nice parts of the city. I don't think I saw a single bum or meth-head looking person around there.

ZoNiE said:
Where the hell in Phoenix do you guys go? The most shitty part of town you can find? Every large city, and most small cities have drug problems. Small towns have more Meth than Walter White.

I live in Phoenix. Have nearly all my life. Never seen any of this. Sure we have our share of homeless, but the climate brings them. Just don't hang around truck stops and homeless shelters and you will see none of this.

The guy laying on the ground? Like Canine said, if he doesn't want help, he doesn't want help. It's not the police departments job to round up homeless people.

The fellow with the busted head was precisely on the corner of 12th and E. Indian.

The tweekers were all over.

12th st. & Indian School...
Hmmm...
A Mexican tire shop, A Pawn shop, and a no-name convenience store.

Yeah, that's not the best part of town, but not the worst either. Surprised you saw the nearly dead guy there.

You want to be in the east valley, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, etc...

I hung out in/around Scottsdale and Tempe. Those are nice areas. (basically ~9 miles straight east of that intersection with the bloody guy)

I've been in good and bad parts of Phoenix. I like the city and the winter weather there. In fact I'll be there in February. The worst thing about it for me is how spread out it is. You can burn a tank of gas quickly if you aren't efficient with your trips around town!

I grew up in one of our three largest cities, so have this advice to give:
Get enough gas to travel all the way through large cities
OR know exactly where you are going and its crime rate, preferably go with someone from there.
Cities can have some extraordinary positive experiences; however, criminals tend to congregate there, too.
Most of all, say no to drugs, and know a little self defense.

Not familiar with Phoenix, but Crystal Meth is  truly Evil, and I avoid those who are addicted to it on any level. 

I witnessed it take down good people, and there was no stopping them do it, nor stopping their atrociously immoral behavior when they were on it, or what they would stoop to, when seeking more.

Meth is why I no longer goto Baja, and Baja used to be my favorite place to vandwell

TMG51 said:
The fellow with the busted head was precisely on the corner of 12th and E. Indian.

The tweekers were all over.

12th and Indian School rd??

Wow, that's about the area I trained for truck driving in 1985.....

Stayed at a motel across from the medical area (600 block) and had a shuttle to the school.....man, that was HOT there...112 day time and nights not that much better.....

I was in Phoenix last week, parked a block away from you at the Indian River School Park, around 5 pm. It looked just like any other eminently boring suburban park, except for the lack of green grass. I took a walk down Central all the way into downtown. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just tons of commuters going home for the evening by car and rail, and a couple of homeless guys by the main library. I had the sidewalks to myself.