I need to seam seal my small trailer. Can anyone offer advise?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hello everyone.  

I purchased a used 4x6 Aluma trailer a few months ago and took my first long trip with it over the last three weeks.  All in all it did well but I discovered that it leaks somewhere if not in several places.  You can't tell from the photograph that I attached here, but this thing is a maze of seams so it seemed the logical thing to do to completely seam seal everything inside and out. 

I figured that I would use silicon sealer on the outside seams and then use a product called Flex Seal on the inside as someone highly recommended it.  If anyone has had any experience with this product or could recommend another product please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_8270-2.jpg
    IMG_8270-2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 20
I Assume you're talking about using SILICONE Caulking...........Don't do it....You can't re-Coat Silicone without an expensive primer

Dicor is the caulk of choice for my van................

I for one absolutely dislike silicone. It releases if not applied on a perfect surface especially where the surface expands and contracts. Pictures would help to determine what type you of seam you are referring to. Is it an exposed seam or is there a trim piece that covers it? Are the panels that form the seam welded, screwed, bolted or glued? Will the seam be exposed to abrasions or wear? Do the panels flex or vibrate going down the road? Do you care what it will look like or do you just wanting to assure it is water tight. There are several alternatives to silicone in the form of marine sealants and products used to install automotive glass you should look into. Once you put silicone on it will have to be totally removed to use something else and that can be a nightmare as clean up is difficult. Dicor is a good product but many caulks have a life span if exposed to the elements so be aware and do your research.

abnorm said:
I Assume you're talking about using SILICONE Caulking...........Don't do it....You can't re-Coat Silicone without an expensive primer

Thanks for the tip!

yeah never ever use silicone. I use Dicor or 3M depending on the application. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
I for one absolutely dislike silicone. It releases if not applied on a perfect surface especially where the surface expands and contracts. Pictures would help to determine what type you of seam you are referring to. Is it an exposed seam or is there a trim piece that covers it? Are the panels that form the seam welded, screwed, bolted or glued? Will the seam be exposed to abrasions or wear? Do the panels flex or vibrate going down the road? Do you care what it will look like or do you just wanting to assure it is water tight. There are several alternatives to silicone in the form of marine sealants and products used to install automotive glass you should look into. Once you put silicone on it will have to be totally removed to use something else and that can be a nightmare as clean up is difficult. Dicor is a good product but many caulks have a life span if exposed to the elements so be aware and do your research.

Thanks for all the input.  I have attached three photos here to show you what I am dealing with.  If you look at the photo that I attached to the very first post it will give you the overall perspective.  

From where the bulk of the water was in the trailer it seems obvious that water is leaking in from the hinged top.  I hosed down the top of the trailer yesterday when I was washing it and at that point, the inside of the trailer was bone dry.  Still, as old as the trailer is, it may also be coming in from the sides.  

The hinged top of the trailer is a aluminum 'U' channel frame with a stamped aluminum piece forming the very top as well as the two front pieces that face the back of the van.  I took a photo of that joint where the 'U' channel frame meets the flat top, etc.  From that photo you can see the cracked sealant that was used on this at one point.  I have to believe that this joint is the cause of most of the water leaking in.  

There is another photo attached that shows you how the frame forms the sides and back of the trailer taken at the back of the trailer with me looking down.  This is also butted up against a piece of aluminum channel.

The other photo is taken of the inside of the trailer giving you an idea of the joints on the inside.

If you need more images, etc. let me know.

Thanks for all the input!

Attachments

• IMG_8368-2.jpg
    IMG_8368-2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8369-2.jpg
    IMG_8369-2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8370-2.jpg
    IMG_8370-2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 21
Try using soapy water and compressed air on the seams to try to see where it leaks. I don’t smoke so I used to find someone who did and close them up inside then have them blow smoke at the seams so I could smell the areas that leaked. Some body shops just use a hair dryer and baby powder.

Don't use a "lap" type sealant for any surface that is not the top of a flat roof. Stuff will run down a vertical surface before it sets. Been there, did that.

IMHO Flex Seal and the rest of the "As Seen On TV" Flex-xxxx products are junk. The stuff is a magnet for sand and dust. Been there, did that.

bullfrog said:
Try using soapy water and compressed air on the seams to try to see where it leaks. I don’t smoke so I used to find someone who did and close them up inside then have them blow smoke at the seams so I could smell the areas that leaked. Some body shops just use a hair dryer and baby powder.

Thanks for the tip bullfrog.

wayne49 said:
Don't use a "lap" type sealant for any surface that is not the top of a flat roof. Stuff will run down a vertical surface before it sets. Been there, did that.

IMHO Flex Seal and the rest of the "As Seen On TV" Flex-xxxx products are junk. The stuff is a magnet for sand and dust. Been there, did that.

Thanks wayne49.  I was actually looking into some of that.  At the moment I have narrowed my search down to the 3M 5200 fast dry marine sealer.

abnorm said:

Which Dicor caulk are you using?  So far the only one I am finding is one just intended for flat surfaces.

^ .....Dicor 551xxx is for Vertical surfaces...........non-sag

........Dicor 501xxx is the self-leveling for horizontal surfaces............(xxx being the color code)

https://dicorproducts.com/

I also like to get rid of some of the old caulking before proceeding......I usually grab an old chisel and heat the tip in the camp stove........The hot tool slices the caulk like "Butter"

Wipe with a little solvent............Now you have a smooth surface to re-apply

Dicor works... it's the magic bullet for leaky seals, but it's not pretty (not a problem up on an RV roof). The self leveling type is not going to work on vertical seams, but they also have a non-leveling version. For this kind of trailer it would look ugly though... I would maybe consult with some trailer manufacturers/dealers and find out what they use professionally...

Thanks for the input C-Cat. 

I appreciate you making the point that it might not be the best application for the trailer that I have.  And from what I have read I would agree.  It is my understanding that the Dicor product is not the easiest to work with which for me having no experience with it, is an issue.  I really wish that consulting the manufacturer would be an easy process, but I have had nothing but a bad experience with Aluma trailers as far as correspondence since I bought the trailer.  So, all that being said, I am trying to come up with both the best and the most reasonable solution for the time being.  And, cost is an issue especially at the moment.  

Everything considered based upon the research that I have done, I am leaning towards using OSI Quad Max in clear.  What do you think?

You can always use painters tape above and underneath where you are going to caulk. You’ll get a nice pretty line that way. Just caulk then pull off the tape.

I actually just finished caulking the trailer and that is exact what I did.  it does make for a much cleaner look.

Van on 66 said:
I am seeing a lot of the OSI QUAD and OSI QUAD MAX available, but not Quad 4.  Is there a difference between these that matters?
Lol.. I just looked at a pack I have here... a PACK of FOUR in plastic wrap. The FOUR is the qty !