I need advise about using a generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
IMG_8189-2.jpgIMG_8189-2.jpgHello everyone and Merry Christmas!

I have been gifted a generator to use in my van so I have some questions.  

First of all, I have made a place for it in the very back of the van that I just converted.  This area that I refer to as my garage, is separated by a 3/4" plywood wall as well as a 3/4" plywood top.   You can see the generator at the far left of the photo that I have attached.  It is bright yellow so it really sticks out.  Are there any safety concerns for me hauling it this way?

Secondly, I am concerned over where to haul the gasoline for it and what to put it in.  Given the space arrangement that I have, I was thinking that I could haul the gasoline container inside my 4x6 Aluma trailer, but I don't know it this presents a safety issue.  I am also attaching a couple of photos here so you can get an idea of the size.  I also don't know what the best container is to haul it in, i.e., plastic or metal, and also if there is a preferred container out there that I should consider. 

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_8189-2.jpg
    IMG_8189-2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8270-2.jpg
    IMG_8270-2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 27
Hello
Looks like the same generator I have? I store / transport mine in the same manner. Safety: Always run it outside the van, Allow the muffler to cool completely prior to putting it away, if the gas cap has an on/off valve make sure to remember to turn to the off position prior to putting it away. Also, take the access panel off to look at the carburetor. See if there is a line running off the carburetor down to the bottom of the generator case. If there is a line that is open (or unattached) at the bottom this is an overflow line (gas) If the float sticks inside the carburetor gas will run through the system even when the generator is turned off leaving gas leaking inside your van. (happened to me just the other day). The fix for this is to take the bowl off the bottom of the carburetor and with one finger move the float up and down till it is free. Another tip: Use non ethanol gas in it. Cost is a little more (paid $2.55 / gal today) but the ethanol seems to gum up the float and foul the spark plug. 

Transporting gas: I've used plastic gas cans with the safety nozzles for 6 months now with no issues. Just make sure the caps are tight and they are not stored in a hot vehicle for long periods. 
Hope this helps 
Good luck
God Bless

One basic safety factor can be added to your regular chore list and  it does not require any eqipment or even a lot of time or money. Plan on needing now and again to to vent out the built up vapors in the can. On a hot sunny day the closed up interior of vehicles and trailers gets pretty warm which leads to vapor build up in the can. So heat increases the frequency of the chore. You will get used to judging when it is time by tne doing of it.  Of course when you go to fil lyour generator with gas the first step in the fill process is to vent  the can before you try to pour in gas. Otherwise you will get a spllash surge of gas with the newer style safety gas cans.  When you go to the store to shop for cans you will find out some styles are easier to release the safety feature than other brands. For my older hands that dont have as much grip strength that was the one deciding factor as to what brand of can worked best. Go shopping with ease of use as one of the deciding factors. Because it truly matters  for getting a smooth,  well controlled fuel pour into the generator.

vgilbert said:
Hello
Looks like the same generator I have? I store / transport mine in the same manner. Safety: Always run it outside the van, Allow the muffler to cool completely prior to putting it away, if the gas cap has an on/off valve make sure to remember to turn to the off position prior to putting it away. Also, take the access panel off to look at the carburetor. See if there is a line running off the carburetor down to the bottom of the generator case. If there is a line that is open (or unattached) at the bottom this is an overflow line (gas) If the float sticks inside the carburetor gas will run through the system even when the generator is turned off leaving gas leaking inside your van. (happened to me just the other day). The fix for this is to take the bowl off the bottom of the carburetor and with one finger move the float up and down till it is free. Another tip: Use non ethanol gas in it. Cost is a little more (paid $2.55 / gal today) but the ethanol seems to gum up the float and foul the spark plug. 

Transporting gas: I've used plastic gas cans with the safety nozzles for 6 months now with no issues. Just make sure the caps are tight and they are not stored in a hot vehicle for long periods. 
Hope this helps 
Good luck
God Bless

Thanks for the response and the information. 

Since this is all new to me I wanted to make sure that I had a good grasp on everything.  We probably do have the same generator.  That yellow color of the Champion generators really does give it away. 

The only thing that I do know is that it has a line that runs from the carburetor to the bottom of the generator which can be drained easily.  I was thinking that it might be a good idea to just go ahead and just drain that each time before putting the generator back into the van. 

Anyway, thanks for the input and your time!

maki2 said:
One basic safety factor can be added to your regular chore list and  it does not require any eqipment or even a lot of time or money. Plan on needing now and again to to vent out the built up vapors in the can. On a hot sunny day the closed up interior of vehicles and trailers gets pretty warm which leads to vapor build up in the can. So heat increases the frequency of the chore. You will get used to judging when it is time by tne doing of it.  Of course when you go to fil lyour generator with gas the first step in the fill process is to vent  the can before you try to pour in gas. Otherwise you will get a spllash surge of gas with the newer style safety gas cans.  When you go to the store to shop for cans you will find out some styles are easier to release the safety feature than other brands. For my older hands that dont have as much grip strength that was the one deciding factor as to what brand of can worked best. Go shopping with ease of use as one of the deciding factors. Because it truly matters  for getting a smooth,  well controlled fuel pour into the generator.

Great information.  Thanks!

I would haul the gen. and gas in the trailer. No chance of fumes in the van that way.

You'd need to pull the gen. out of the van each time you use it anyway.

Not sure what doors/hatches you have on the trailer that would make it difficult to access the gen.

Maybe set it up in the trailer so it wouldn't have to be removed when used?

Thanks for the input. 

I had actually gone back and forth about putting the generator in the trailer along with the gasoline.  At the moment I am not sure why I went the route that I did, but it is well worth re-thinking.  

I am not sure how I could actually run the generator while it is in the trailer.  That would take some creative thought, but I am certainly open to it.  This whole build out is brand new to me and I am still at the early stage of getting things set up just right.

Your generator looks heavy... It would be a hassle to get it down from the van to use it, and lift it back up again.
I agree with Slow2day,  it would be better to set it up and operate it on the trailer.

I love your garage lay-out, I think I will try to do that myself, as I have left about one foot distance between the door and my bed.
Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

You would have to modify it to make sure it gets enough air.

I've seen gen. boxes built with fans added to make sure airflow was sufficient.

Quiets them down,too.

BTW: That's a nifty little trailer.

Or maybe use one of these so you can use a swing-away cargo carrier w/box:

image_12233.jpg

Attachments

• image_12233.jpg
    image_12233.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
I also would recommend non ethanol gasoline but I use regular unleaded with Stabil 360 ethanol treatment when I can’t find non ethanol gasoline. I turn off or run out all the fuel in the carburetor before storing it. Be sure to change the oil after running it for just a few hours the first time. You will be surprised what you find in the oil. I would recommend storing the gasoline outside in approved military spec containers. Be sure to use a drip pan under the generator when in storage. You might consider a tongue box on the trailer for storage if the trailer tongue is sturdy enough.

Sofisintown said:
Your generator looks heavy... It would be a hassle to get it down from the van to use it, and lift it back up again.
I agree with Slow2day,  it would be better to set it up and operate it on the trailer.

I love your garage lay-out, I think I will try to do that myself, as I have left about one foot distance between the door and my bed.
Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

When I designed the layout for the van I worked in app. 18 inches for a garage, leaving room for my portable solar system case to mount to it, leaving 2-3 inches of space between that and that closed door.  That has worked out beautifully!

I actually chose this particular generator because it is one of the lightest on the market at app. 35 lbs.  As far as its location, I guess that I figured that I would have to do some lifting to use it each time whether from my garage or from the trailer.  And, actually, I have been considering making a short ramp to slide it down off the van which could be stored inside the trailer. 

Anyway, thanks for the input and Merry Christmas to you!

Attachments

• Christmas Card 2020 - Edited.jpg
    Christmas Card 2020 - Edited.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 19
as far as gas cans. over the years I have used all types of gas cans. what I have found is that the NATO cans are hands down the best. there is no comparison. they can be stored in any position even upside down and they will not leak, not even a drop, even on a washboard road. they come in 20Liter, 10L, and 5L. they are a little pricey but they are quality like I said there is no comparison.

https://wavianusa.com/

BTW stay away form the Chinese knock offs they're not worth a nickel.

highdesertranger

slow2day said:
You would have to modify it to make sure it gets enough air.

I've seen gen. boxes built with fans added to make sure airflow was sufficient.

Quiets them down,too.

BTW: That's a nifty little trailer.

Or maybe use one of these so you can use a swing-away cargo carrier w/box:

Thanks.  That's worth checking out.

bullfrog said:
I also would recommend non ethanol gasoline but I use regular unleaded with Stabil 360 ethanol treatment when I can’t find non ethanol gasoline. I turn off or run out all the fuel in the carburetor before storing it. Be sure to change the oil after running it for just a few hours the first time. You will be surprised what you find in the oil. I would recommend storing the gasoline outside in approved military spec containers. Be sure to use a drip pan under the generator when in storage. You might consider a tongue box on the trailer for storage if the trailer tongue is sturdy enough.

Thanks bullfrog.  I am definitely getting the message from everyone to use non-ethanol gasoline.  I will also be picking up some Stabil 360 to keep in the trailer and checking out military gasoline cans.  If you have a link to these please send it on.

The NATO ones HDR linked are best. Even with those I usually only fill to a 1/2 gallon or so from the top just to give room for expansion.

I have one of those Eagle's they will leak if flipped over on a washboard road. highdesertranger