I Need To Cut Myself Some Slack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
I think I saved Queenie's life today.  For those of you who don't know Queenie she is a short legged plump Chihuahua with more than one alias.  Fat Possum being the most used.

Today began as several have in the last month.  When I woke up and sat up suddenly I was a little dizzy.  Some folks that know me might snicker as I'm known to be a little dizzy or is ditzy quite often.  Too much hair dye soaked in thru the years   :huh:  Who knows other than "The Shadow". 

Today when I stood up I was so dizzy I began to fall and there was no stopping me.  I was able to throw myself backwards onto the bed.....At the last moment I thought  "CRAP WHERE IS QUEENIE"?  Thankfully I missed her when I landed, twisting my back in the process.  Q and I stayed in bed a few more hours.  A little dizziness but doable on the next try.

After that I was moving slowly today however I managed to sort thru things deciding what to keep and what needs to find a new home.  I cooked,  washed and hung up 4 lines of clothes, checked in with my Sis several times.  She has pretty much lived at my Mom's in the next building the past month due to Mom's health.  
 While we were talking I commented that I seem to be living in quicksand.....I stay busy and still can't seem to get enough done.  I have to be in really bad shape to not do anything at all. 

I have only had my van for a little over 6mo.  It has been a work in progress with others doing the work because I'm unable to.  A lot of frustration involved in that process.

There are also 4, 10x20 storage units that I need to go thru and I started working on those months before I even had a van.  Also a very full apartment to go thru. Then it hit me.

:s   I NEED TO CUT MYSELF SOME SLACK   :huh:  

I have lived here in AL for just over 7 years.  I came here in a Ranger 4x4 pulling a 8x5 U haul trailer.  As much as I want to get rid of all this "Stuff"  I need to pace myself.  I don't want to fall over some day and not get back up!  So I intend to take better care of myself.  I'm not going to work in a hot metal building surrounded by concrete when the heat index is supposed to be 90 to 110.  All this "STUFF" didn't get here overnight and unless I drop dead and my family has a BIG BONFIRE it will not disappear quickly.

Sometimes it's important, even urgent to make changes rapidly.  Sometime it's not so urgent.  I think this process of looking and touching every single thing I own has brought  good memories & some closure to me as they remind me of who gave me this or where I was when I bought that.  Some are reminders of old friends....some of broken dreams.  Some new items speak of new goals and changes.

Some of them shout "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING"  :D

I think sometimes we may be feeling overwhelmed by changes in our lives.  Some we've chosen for ourselves or some changes life and circumstances have forced on us. 

In the past this is what has worked for me......mostly 

When I get to the end of my rope I tie a damn knot in it and hang on.

I remember that nothing lasts forever. 

Things will change.  No guarantee if it will better or worse......it will change.

I NEED TO CUT MYSELF SOME SLACK  :D I'M ONLY ONE PERSON AND A BANGED ONE UP AT THAT!

Every once in a while I need to remind myself what it is that I truly want...then adjust my attitude accordingly.

Keep the Shiney Side Up    :D

Jewellann and Queenie

So what you are saying is that you have a lot of crap.  :p 

Listen. You will get there soon enough. It will do you good if you incapacitate yourself. In fact it sounds like you need to take a break and recharge.

Thanks for missing Queenie , we would miss all her smart comments!

I think JimInDenver meant It WON'T do you [any] good if you incapacitate yourself.

And Queenie will probably get really pissed if SHE has to take care of YOU. That's not exactly the Dog Mantra, you know. My dog always reminded me that the Dog Manta was So, What Did You Do for Me Today?

Take it easy. Heat kills.

Well, you convinced me that you need to cut yourself some slack, but have you totally convinced yourself? Take care of yourself. I lived in AL for 2 years, and can't imagine cleaning out a storage building in the summer. You need to make sure that your drinking plenty of water, I know you know this, but what I have tried to do is set an amount I was going to drink and actually mark the glasses off as I drank them, one can get preoccupied and ignore thirst in lieu of getting something else done.