I need electricity for a small heater (its cold)~ prefer solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrowneyedKat3

Reaction score
It's cold~ I sleep in my SUV. I lay one of the backseats flat and place an egg crate foam camping pad on the seat and then my sleeping bag. It was TOO cold last night and I didn't get a good nights sleep. I was fully dressed and wore a thick bathrobe over my clothes; I also had a thick fleece-fuzzy blanket on top of my sleeping bag. The sleeping bag is rated for below freezing temps.
I NEED a heater ~ not to leave on ALL night but I have to be warm. I need advice ASAP! I have the money to invest in something that works and is SAFE! I don't like the battery option. Please tell me HOW solar panel power would work and what do I need? Who or where should I go to buy/install?
**I unroll a one yoga mat over the sides; it covers the back window and back door window perfectly. Very easy and insulates.
**I pin up an insulated blackout curtain for the back window (long tacks) and hang another blackout curtain on a rod to block view of what is behind the front seats.
I also have foam yoga mats on the floor for more insulation.
You think I'd be warm! I'm NOT!

I want to buy the Polaris fan forced heater with thermostat at Wal-Mart for heat.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21804031

I already purchased:

The Glow warm Electric Candle which is suppose to radiate heat, yet I need a power source to plug it in!
http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

There are many that have all kinds of experience with solar that I am sure will offer help, but I have had the same problem as you and resigned that solar was not a solution for heating. I head for warm places and sleep well in cool weather in my sleeping bag. For cold weather find campgrounds where I can plug in and run a heater like what you suggest. In very cold weather (usually going to warm places) I get a motel room.

Go find a campground. Plug in. My daughter has a new electric heater. Presto Parabolic (no "foot light"). She loves it. Heats up the whole class C (22 ft) if she puts it on higher than LOW. Pretty low power usage. She is on metered electric. She also has a Mr Buddy LP but does not run it at night. We are hitting freezing temps at night (usually just before dawn is the coldest). http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Heat-Parabolic-Electric-Heater/dp/B005T5UH4A

Solar or battery are not able to provide electric heat. Electric heater must plug into grid, 120 volt.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Kat!

Solar does not supply enough power for operating high powered 110 volt appliances such as heaters. A 12 volt electric blanket might do the trick but I've never used one so I'm not sure. Many forum members have Mr Buddy heaters that use propane.

It sounds like you're really bundled up. Some additional things to try are wearing a hat and using a fleece blanket as a bottom layer with another fleece blanket as a top sheet and then the sleeping bag opened on top as a blanket. We do this with a down comforter and if it's really cold we add a heavy blanket on top of the comforter which weights it down a little and keeps all of the warm air trapped inside with us.

The candle that you linked to does not use any electric power source but it's been tried by several members and they concluded that it doesn't work as advertised.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

As a practical matter, there is NO combination of batteries and solar panels that will let you run an electric heater for any length of time.

People sleep warmly even in arctic conditions. You just need enough insulation.

Assuming you are a size normal, go buy a second, oversize sleeping bag intended for size xl people and put your sleeping bag inside that one. Or go buy wool blankets or quilts and put them over your sleeping bag.

Get out of your daytime clothing and get some thermal underwear to wear to bed. Optionally, get a hooded fleece sweatsuit to wear over it as pajamas. A warm hat, like a wool navy watch cap, is very important - your body will, for survival purposes, divert heat from your limbs to your head to keep your brain warm.

Eat a bowl of oatmeal or something similar just before going to bed. Your body will use the calories to keep you warmer than you would be on an empty stomach.

Fill one or more containers with hot water and take them into the sleeping bag with you.

Hope this advice helps. Good luck.

Regards
John

I've slept outside in temps down to 28F and that was without windchill. I hammock camp and got my cold weather sleeping info from a forum devoted to hammock users.

First off, a set of T-Maxx microfleece long johns and top and a set of their 'Heat' socks. I got mine at Mark's Work Warehouse. I topped that with a microfleece hoodie I picked up in Wal-Mart. The socks actually had an R rating on the package...never seen that before. Something on your head is absolutely vital as is warm feet.

Sleep clothes should only be used for sleep. Do NOT wear your daytime clothes for sleeping in. Even though you don't think you've been sweating, you actually have been putting water into those daytime clothes, once they get wet, you get cold.

A hot drink and and/or something to eat just before bed will help. Alcohol will NOT help, it will actually do more harm than good.

I also use those little hand warmers, one at the small of my back because my behind is always the coldest...wish they made them butt sized. I don't like taking my chances with hot water bottles although, if you do, get a Nalgene bottle from a sporting goods store.

The sleeping bag, if it's old or an off-brand may not be as good as you think it is. If you can afford to replace it with a newer one, particularly down, do so. The ratings on sleeping bags are merely suggestions unless it's the European rating. They're also often rated for men (we do sleep at different temps), and are survival ratings (as in you won't die) not comfort ratings. Get one way below the rating you're ever likely to need.

A fleece liner *inside* your sleeping bag will do you more good than outside. A heavy wool blanket (buy from a thrift shop maybe) over the top will also help.

Do NOT use a mylar anything under you. You will end up with wet sleeping gear as you perspire during the night.

Q: Anyone know if a 12v sleeping pad from one of the truckdriver supply co's and a portable charger unit (jumpstart) would work for Kat if she had a place to recharge the unit during the day?

Almost There said:
Q: Anyone know if a 12v sleeping pad from one of the truckdriver supply co's and a portable charger unit (jumpstart) would work for Kat if she had a place to recharge the unit during the day?

Amazon sells one. It uses anywhere from 6 to 7 1/2 amps, depending on the setting, and apparently cycles on and off. So if it runs 50% of the time at it's lowest setting, it will use 3 amps for eight hours a night or 24 amp hours.

I looked at a number of those jump packs on Amazon. They all list peak starting amps rather than amp hours, but I also found a replacement battery there for them, and that was only listed as an 18 amp hour battery.

So no, it ain't going to work.

Regards
John

Three possible helpful tips.

1. Go get yourself some of those handwarmer chemical packs. They last for 5 or 6 hours and I think you can get them decently cheap.

2. See if you can find a parkade (underground?)to park in. I find those are usually warmer than outside.

3. Put an add on craigslist and try to rent a driveway with electrical extension cord hook-up for heat. Might be able to get one for $100 per month.

Bite the Bullet!...Buy a Mr. Buddy Heater. Solar will not provide you the energy necessary to run a heater. With a Mr. Buddy you will be warm and comfortable. Staying warm is not complicated!

You've gotten great advice! Here's my thoughts:

1) If you get a Mr Buddy, get the tiny one, the regular or large are too big for an SUV
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F215100-3800-BTU-Indoor-Safe/dp/B001CFRF7I/

2) WATCH YOUR CLEARANCES! Any propane heater will get hot enough to ignite materials close to it

3) Chances are the cold is coming up from underneath you. That's critically important! The cheapest and warmest solution is a closed cell foam backpackers pad. Walmart usually has them for about $10. I've literally sleep on a glacier without being cold or melting the ice underneath me. Here is one from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-Stansport-Back-Packing-Pad/dp/B00D6LGN2E/

4) An extra large sleeping bag to hold your regular sleeping bag is outstanding advice!

5) Run your stove inside the SUV before bed and have a hot drink. Then fill two hot water heating bottles with HOT water. One for your feet and maybe one under your butt, or wherever you need it. Amazon sells these as a pair. Very good quality and they come in a fleece cover:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040HKXAQ/

Bob

Sleeping bags inside of sleeping bags, hoodies, extra blankets, thermal underwear and wool socks, quilted mittens, oatmeal and hot drinks, hot water bottles and chemical hand warmers. Honestly, get a campsite with electric and showers and toilets for the 3 to 4 really cold months of the year if you can't migrate, especially if you ha:e a job you are still going to. I know there are purists out there who take pride in passing up all modern conveniences. But for the rest of us, there'x no substitute for what electriccord the grid gives us. Maybe you can buddy up and have to vans on a site.

My Girlfriend makes $600 a month on SS. Are you going to pay for her site Jean?

If being packed in like sardines makes me go crazy and hurt someone, will you do the jail time for me? If it makes me commit suicide (and I'd rather be dead than live in a RV Park!!) will you pay for the funeral?

There are NO one-size-fits-all solutions here!!
Bob

well everyone here has given great advice. I say you need a better sleeping bag or another sleeping to double up, and remove some of that clothing when going to bed. your body temp needs to heat up the inside of your sleeping bag. if you have to much clothing on that will never happen and you will be cold. I have slept in lean-tos in blizzards and tents in below 0 temps so I know a little about staying warm in the cold. highdesertranger

ccbreder, I hope it didn't come off as too snarky. I meant to find a balance of humor and making a point.

If I failed in that attempt, I apologize.

Bob

I have all the modern conveniences in my Van;
Television
Internet
Phone
Oven
Two burner Stove
Buddy Heater
Water
Shower
Toilet
Comfortable bed
Boom box for music
DVD player
110 power
Lots of beautiful space around me
Also I have beautiful sunsets, fresh air, friends at a distance, the peace and tranquility of living (this time of year) in the desert.
My idea is that you might think migrating to warmer weather. Come to the Southwest. A cold front came thru today and the temperature dropped...it was 73 degrees. Come at the speed you can afford. In the mean time get a small propane heater from Walmart or Amazon and get comfortable. What ever you leave behind you can find it here.

Bob, you are being an ass. You are also doing a disservice to others. If someone is NOT set up to be off shore power for either extreme cold or extreme heat, then they should pull into a park and and plug in. Grow up.

As for the Southwest.... I am in NM. Tonight's low is 17F and I live in a valley.

Some of you take stealthing to far extremes and look down your noses, snearing at those of us who don't. It permeates everything that is posted on this forum. In being so intolerant of those who stay in RV parks, you are saying to newbies, who may not be completely prepared for extreme temps, "you are not worthy of calling yourself a vandweller if you are not stealthing". And the newbies, in trying to fit in, may be putting themselves in danger. Instead of having a stealthing contest, you should have given better advice. And the newbies should stop paying so much attention to you.