I have an Insurance question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust of the Sun

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a reasonably priced 1990ish class b (24-26 foot Born Free or Chinook)and was wondering...before I call my insurance agent (Uugghh)... what some of you might be paying for real minimal insurance on vehicles from the 1990's?? And maybe some advice...am I crazy to be thinking that I'm not gonna be putting lots of miles on it but instead it's a mobile bug-out contingency option so (Mostly) it's gonna either be used at my 3/4 acre homestead as additional living space OR a 2 1/2 hour&nbsp; travel to some location in the Blue Ridge Mountains where it will sit....so I'm thinking, I pay a fortune now in vehicle insurance with 3 cars...I'm wondering if going super cheap on this makes sense, like state minimum???? Anybody doing this?? And what value/rate/payback are they gonna give me on a near 20 year vehicle to even make it worth spending...And as things deteriorate I don't trust any insurance companies to BE THERE when I might need them anyway. Just rambling but wondering how you all look at insurance??&nbsp; thx. <br>

Dear Dust - in the event you are <B><EM>truly</EM></B> going to park it on some land and not move the vehicle much if at all, you should look into not only the cheapest coverage available, but also consider re-registering the vehicle as non-operational after you settle on the location.<BR><BR>In CA. we do this to avoid paying annual reg fees without penalty when the reg is revised back to operational, but if caught traveling on the roads with a non-op reg you will pay a steep fine.&nbsp; In short, you only have to pay reg for when the vehicle is being used on the roads so long as you inform the DMV in advance; if we simply stop paying reg without the non-op notification then we owe back reg fees and penalties. <BR><BR>The second reason is saving on insurance, which non-op vehicles aren't required to have. Similarly, drivng uninsured results in a steep fine if caught, and usually proof of insurance is required to register a vehicle. <BR><BR>Also, you may or may not have insurance tied to your land that covers property damaged on the land in case of fire, vandalism, theft, etc. so you may not need "double" insurance. <BR><BR>Again, that's here, not sure what laws are in your neck of the woods. And if you are going to keep the option of living on the road then you would need insurance to be legal.

<P>About $225 a year through Progessive - and that's not bare minimum. They'll also cover up to $3000 worth of items in the camp that might get stolen; as we have extremely expensive bikes, it's worth the money.</P>

Seraphim said:
<p>About $225 a year through Progessive - and that's not bare minimum. They'll also cover up to $3000 worth of items in the camp that might get stolen; as we have extremely expensive bikes, it's worth the money.</p>
<div><br></div><div>$225 would buy a lot of locks and alarms.</div>

Latest posts