I have a strange gun question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to the original post...

I think it is noble and all, but I would strongly recommend NOT doing such a thing. Beyond what has already been stated about putting yourself at greater risk, it would be illegal to do within just about any city limits. The country may also have laws against the discharge of a firearm, and while even the judge may consider it noble, it is far too dangerous to do for him to let you get away with it without some type of punishment, which may include a charge that would remove your right to own a gun for life. I love animals and all, but no way.

To answer the question though, a 22lr is enough to do the job. I would call in the right agency to do the job though, but it I were out in National Forest or BLM land and came across an animal that needed "help" I may just consider it as long as I was 100% confident that no one else was within range of possible injury (bullets can still go stray in these situations).

"I think it is noble and all, but I would strongly recommend NOT doing such a thing."
I can't see what being noble has to do with it.
Isn't it just a matter of not wanting another creature to go through agony? Do what you can, if you can?

Cathead said:
I can't see what being noble has to do with it.
Isn't it just a matter of not wanting another creature to go through agony? Do what you can, if you can?

I think he meant doing something admirable or something that is considered goodly. Knowingly leaving a grievously injured animal could be considered evil- an opposite of noble. While leaving might be evil, the practicality of it and the potentially severe consequences could prove to be too severe to ethically (nobly) spare the suffering of an injured animal. Sad but true. I would put myself in the category of putting my legal/financial well-being first before the suffering of an injured animal. I can say I wouldn't always do what I can when I can. I hate that about me, but there it is.

Interesting old thread. I never thought of this reason for owning a firearm, but it makes me want to once again own one -- and a good pair of wire cutters.

A problem with mobile living is that you always want to winnow out what you don't really need ... but there always seems to be just one more tool ...

Really. A thread from 2015. Why not start a new discussion. Some us don't like gun threads, even when we are pro 2nd amendment. There are way to many crazes.

I used to have a house in the Sierras at the 4,000 foot level. When a deer got hit by a car and was in a bad way, we called the sheriff. They sent someone out to dispatch the animal. There were neighborhoods around and you could get into legal trouble for using a firearm near them. LE would stop the traffic coming through while they did what they had to.
If the animal was down and breathing a can of starter fluid, (ether), and a rag might put it down in a humane way, or at least stop pain until help got there.

The crazy Kamikaze deer of Michigan don't need to be killed. They lurk along the highways late at night and commit suicide by leaping out at passing vehicles.

The deer of Missouri are much more laid back. They just meander en-mass out into the road at night, taking their time and checking you out. I actually ended up in a staring contest with one handsome buck as he stood in the middle of the road and tried to stare me down. I won! He got bored and wandered off.

I woulda flashed him some gang signs afterwards and gone all "The Wire" on him.

LOL! I'd have to know some gang signs first. The buck was obviously more hip than I hahaha.