I have a Roadtrek ss agile 2014. Does anyone know where i can have solar panels installed,

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolita

Reaction score
I have a Roadtrek ss agile 2014. Does anyone know where i can have solar panels installed

I do not know of any places specific to vehicle types. You can check locally with some mobile RV services. Solar panels on vans are becoming pretty common for request. But when asking in this forum do add a general location as there are some nomads that offer installation help. But they need an idea of the general area you are in. Do not get too specific you do not need an inadvertent security risk.

Welcome! Generally there is somewhere or someone in Quartzite during the winter.

I believe San Tan Solar has an outlet in Florida. You might inquire there.

I have a Roadtrek ss agile 2014. Does anyone know where i can have solar panels installed

Locate your nearest mirror... cause that guy in it can do it with just a little swearing, blood, sweat, and a few tears.. it can be done and can produce a long time of saving and improved self confidence!

Drill holes into the roof, use washers and then slab on a lot of sealant and reapply yearly if necessary. Tons of YouTube videos on how to do it yourself and save some money.

Myself I U bolted them to my minivan for the first 200 watts then I recently upgraded to 400 watts and then bolted them to Steel angle and then U bolted them to the roof rack.

If I didn't have a roof rack I would have just drilled holes into the roof and used extra large washers then drowned it in caulk to prevent leaks. Also would have put some type of leak detection.. like those acid water test strips that bleed when they get wet on the inside under the hole so it notify me right away if they are leaking.

But Im in the mind that my 06 oddy minivan is mine until it goes to the scrap yard so if I don't care nobody else would either lol.

We're all just one idiot swift truck driver on his phone away from our vans being in the junkyard anyways so yea...

but if your still set on the professionals around Quartsite AZ during the winter would be where I would go and the time I would do it.

Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Lolita, I’m having a couple panels installed in mid August. I’m currently staying farther south in Florida than you are now in Jacksonville. I’ve been speaking with Nick who does mostly electrical (solar panels) in Waynesville Ga. I believe it’s about 1 1/2 hours from Jacksonville. Please contact me if you would like his number. Thanks, John

Hi Lolita, I’m having a couple panels installed in mid August. I’m currently staying farther south in Florida than you are now in Jacksonville. I’ve been speaking with Nick who does mostly electrical (solar panels) in Waynesville Ga. I believe it’s about 1 1/2 hours from Jacksonville. Please contact me if you would like his number. Thanks, John
Certainly, John. Can I have his number please?

...contact me if you would like his number....
That sounds like "...an inadvertent security risk..."!
And who in their right mind needs "..an inadvertent security risk.."!
Of course, I could be inadvertently over-thinking.
Or over-reacting.
Or this's merely another inadvertent example of my perpetual tendencies toward inadvertently over-acting.
Eugene, Oregon.
Next time you are in our neck of the woods, head over to MAC'S BATTERIES AND SOLAR.
Fix you right up.
https://macsbatteries.com
An aside:
I am naming all my children 'Inadvertent'.
True fact.

Locate your nearest mirror... cause that guy in it can do it with just a little swearing, blood, sweat, and a few tears.. it can be done and can produce a long time of saving and improved self confidence!

Drill holes into the roof, use washers and then slab on a lot of sealant and reapply yearly if necessary. Tons of YouTube videos on how to do it yourself and save some money.

If I didn't have a roof rack I would have just drilled holes into the roof and used extra large washers then drowned it in caulk to prevent leaks. Also would have put some type of leak detection.. like those acid water test strips that bleed when they get wet on the inside under the hole so it notify me right away if they are leaking.
Lance22 you are going to get someone in trouble with a lot of leaks overtime with that particular advice. You are lacking in knowledge of a type of waterproofed, enclosed insert nut called a “WELL NUT” that can be found in Hardware stores such as Ace, True Value Doit-Best. Typically they are stocked in those small hardware parts drawers were they sell pieces one at a time. See photo below for an image with specs.

A Wellnut is a treaded nut that is mounted into a piece of rubber. It has molded in rubbet washer at the top edge and then a shaft area with the molded in threaded nut. You drill an appropriate sized hole in the roof , insert the Well Nut, tighten the fastener and the rubber expands creating a waterproof seal. Simple to use and no silicone required.

Many persons are totally unaware that this easy to use special type of nut exists. But it does and that is exactly the type fastener situation it was designed for fastening through metal roofs on vehicles or those high top fiberglass van roofs for creating a watertight result.

Works great for securing roof racks or for a mechanical fastener on the holes on the edges of flexible solar panels.

So forget that messy and unreliable silicone and washer method and do it like the pros do using a purpose designed, very reliable fastener system that is easy to find online or in Hardware Stores.

Attachments

• IMG_1709.jpeg
    IMG_1709.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Myself I U bolted them to my minivan for the first 200 watts then I recently upgraded to 400 watts and then bolted them to Steel angle and then U bolted them to the roof rack.

But Im in the mind that my 06 oddy minivan is mine until it goes to the scrap yard so if I don't care nobody else would either lol.

We're all just one idiot swift truck driver on his phone away from our vans being in the junkyard anyways so yea...

but if your still set on the professionals around Quartsite AZ during the winter would be where I would go and the time I would do it.
Lance,

I'm not asking about the physical installation of solar panels. I'm looking to get solar POWER for my Roadtrek to replace shore power hook up.

Lance,

I'm not asking about the physical installation of solar panels. I'm looking to get solar POWER for my Roadtrek to replace shore power hook up.
You do not remove or replace the shore power setup. You add a solar panel and controller in addition to the original shore power setup. Do keep that original power option in place and functional. Always wise to have a plan B because Mother Nature does not always cooperate with plan A.

Also note usually it is very difficult if not impossible to have enough solar to have things like AC or high powered microwaves, so a generator or shore power should be retained.

You do not remove or replace the shore power setup. You add a solar panel and controller in addition to the original shore power setup. Do keep that original power option in place and functional. Always wise to have a plan B because Mother Nature does not always cooperate with plan A.
I see what you're saying. I shouldn't have said that. Instead, let me say I'd like to remove and replace my generator, which is located right under where the bed is. It's in the worst location when it's running at the same time with the AC. The whole RV seems to shake and it sounds like roar of thunder.

I see what you're saying. I shouldn't have said that. Instead, let me say I'd like to remove and replace my generator, which is located right under where the bed is. It's in the worst location when it's running at the same time with the AC. The whole RV seems to shake and it sounds like roar of thunder.
Most likely you will have to do without AC if depending on solar for AC as you probably will not have enough roof surface for the amount of panels needed. Battery technology has improved enough you may be able to run the AC a few hours depending on the unit.

Latest posts