Howdy! New here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi tx2sturgis,

Thank you for sharing your remedy for your desire of a 4wd.

In order for me to determine if I want a 4wd, I need some questions answered about 4wd.

Thanks.

closeanuf said:
Yeah I think a 4x4 conversion would not be a good idea.
Thanks for the feedback, closeanuf!

I’m seeking answers to questions about 4wd so I can determine whether I want it...so if you know of anyone with expertise...or links that explain transmissions, in general, explains what happens when converted, exact-as-possible effects on gas mileage as I already have a gas guzzler, any changes to maintenance costs on van, etc., ...
I like details.

I do know that I want 4wd. I need to understand the cost/benefit ratio for me to make a decision. I am aware that one company requires conversion before 60K miles, hence my desire to get clear on whether I want it or not, sooner than later.
I do not know the benefit of conversion before 60K miles or if other companies will do it after 60. 
Yes, I cld call those companies and I will. 

An unbiased professional mechanic who specializes in 4wd who can share facts with me would be ideal to talk with.

Since you shared your opinion, why do you think it’s not a good idea?

Thanks so much.

The thing that would keep me from doing a conversion is the fact that the front drive axle and transfer case are not manufactured and distributed by General Motors who built your van.  It is my understanding that parts are expensive and often hard to get.  Check with a company who does these conversion on a regular basis.  I think the price alone will get your attention.  If it ain't factory I don't want it.  Just my opinion.

Quigley will do 4x4 van conversions for about 15 grand.

Only you will know if it is worth it to you. 

A van with limited slip (or locking) rear-end and decent tires, and driven with some common sense and experience, can get you into probably 75% of the places that a 4x4 can go, and recovery gear can help if you do get into a situation you can't drive out of. 

Keep in mind that when a good 4WD vehicle DOES get stuck, it's often buried in the muck up to it's frame and will require some extra effort in the form of winches or other vehicles to get you extracted.